Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default pistol shooting class?

Is there any decent pistol shooting class around SC?

my fiance - shot both XD and M&P, and while grouping was par, both gun stovepiped, and fail to say open after last round was shot.
    Its clearly a case of limpwrist/poor grip.

And since we all know that we, the guys can't teach our betterhalf without blowing fuses, I think its time for me to find some class to stick her in....

She is good with safety of the firearm.
    No finger on trigger until shoot, mind the direction of muzzle and such. But need real help with proper grip, how to clear jams, mag change,

There were class that was held at Williamsport last year. Its at some gun shop if I recall. But for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the place....
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

Default Re: pistol shooting class?

Monday and Tuesday I took "Basic Defensive Pistol" from Randy Smith in Boalsburg. The class was great and I learned a lot. There were a couple of beginners in the class, including one woman who had never shot a pistol before. Randy took us through everything starting with safety, action types, ammunition, basics of shooting a pistol, drawing, basic defensive positions, laws and regulations, concealed carry, and even more. It was a fifteen hour class held during the day.

I really enjoyed the class and will be taking more from him next year. I don't know that he is offering any pistol courses for civilians this year, as he does primarily law enforcement training now. His website is www.pistoltraining.com. Something like this may be a little more than she wants right now, but it was worth much more than Randy charges.

(Centre County)

I should have added in the last post that by the end everyone including those who had not shot before or in a very long time were shooting very well.

(Centre County)

I have heard about him from my gunshop peeps before, but as you said, they thought he was primary LEO instructor. BUt I'll e-mail him and see if he does civilian stuff.

I was also told that there is place in Williamsport called Trepoli that offer training course for reasonable price(Around $100+), and I want to look in to that as well..
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

The F.I.R.E. Institute has a one day "handgun clinic" which I can recommend. Great class and our own TonyF is one of the instructors. Well worth the money and time. The only downfall to it is that you have to go to PMSC (oh damn! ). I've taken the clasa nd learned alot and it reinforces the basics even if your a regular shooter you will pick something up for the class. Food for though.

http://www.fireinstitute.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

From Randy's website

WOMEN ONLY Basic Defensive Handgun
    Semi-Private - INDOORS
    State College, PA
    8 Students / 3 Instructors

November 10 & 11, 2008

8:30 am - 4:30 pm both days

(Centre County)

I recommend Randy Smith and you should check out his website as provided above. He doesn't only train woman and he has courses for nearly everyone. Before I was a Deputy Sheriff, I went to him for several courses
    I've taken and walked away feeling confident in what he taught:

I've taken the following courses from him:
    Basic Pistol Defense
    Pistol Defense for the Business Professional
    Pistol Defense level 2
    Defensive Shotgun course

He's the best around and when it came time for me to qualify at the range at Rockview after I became a Deputy all I can say is that I'm glad I paid the fees to have him train me.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I have heard about him from my gunshop peeps before, but as you said, they thought he was primary LEO instructor. BUt I'll e-mail him and see if he does civilian stuff.

I was also told that there is place in Williamsport called Trepoli that offer training course for reasonable price(Around $100+), and I want to look in to that as well..
    My mother actullay took a class there. She is very inexperienced and she said they were very patient. It is an indoor range and I believe they make you buy all your ammo there.

Digging up a corpse here, but I recently trained with Randy and found the training to be excellent.
    Jules