Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Pulled over in NJ

Not me...a friend....Yes it really was a friend...

His story:

Yesterday a a cop pulls out in front of me, so I hit the brakes and continue on my way with him in front of me. About a 1/4 of mile down the road I see him wave to his buddy, who is hiding in a private driveway. All of a sudden He pulls over to the side of the road and lets me pass. He pulls in right behind me and lights them up. I for the life of me can't figuire out why. As he is walking up I take my seat belt off and get my wallet out. He ask for the paper work and I ask why am I stopped. He say's "you aren't wearing a seat belt". I say I just took it off to get my paper work. He calls me a "LIAR". I said accuse me sir, but I am not a liar, I just took it off. This cop is maybe 20yrs old and I am well his senior. He tells me again that I am lieing. And that he would be more apt to let me go if I didn't lie. He then proceeds to tell me that his sargent is the one who witnessed me with no belt. And that he did not observe me taking it off. I say I'm sorry sir but I am not going to argue with you, because I know that I am not going to win. He takes my paper work and goes back to the car to write the ticket. I notice that I have handed him the wrong registration and ins. card. So I get the right one's out and wait for him to come back. He comes back with the ticket and I tell him that I have given him the wrong paper's and he say's it doesn't matter. Then he ask me if I am still going to stick with my story. I see that he has already written the ticket. But I say yes sir I am because it is the truth. He continued to try and goat me into an arguement. And I repeated it several times that I was not going to argue with him. Finally he gives me the ticket and I leave... I did have a clean record for more the 20 yrs. until this.

First of all I know once the ticket is written, even though if I had changed my story he still would have given it to me.

Second I don't understand why he kept trying to get me to argue with him.

All I can figuire is if I would have changed my story, would he have felt better that he got me to confess?

Maybe he wanted to show me what a big man he is?

Hell!! I'm not going to argue with a cop with a gun!!! I've seen the video's of what they do to to people who argue with them.

When did the police become the S.S.?...
    They show no respect for you but demand it for themselves.

I use to respect police to the utmost. But I hear horror stories all the time from friends and family about how they are treated like they are punks. In my opinion they deserve no respect.

But anyway now the residents of Stanhope, NJ can sleep easy tonite knowing that they got the seat belt crime wave under control.
    The ticket has the wrong year for the vehicle he was in...as the paper given was for his motorcycle. Does that automatically void the ticket in anyway?

What can he do? He's convinced trying to fight it would be a losing battle since it's PRNJ.

Default Re: Pulled over in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    The ticket has the wrong year for the vehicle he was in...as the paper given was for his motorcycle. Does that automatically void the ticket in anyway?
    If the vehicle listed in the ticket is incorrect he may have a chance to get it thrown out.

Oh and when did NJ LE become the SS? One HELL of a long time ago!

(Montgomery County)

FOIA the video footage from his patrol car of the stop. it should show him taking off his seatbelt. End of story

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    If the vehicle listed in the ticket is incorrect he may have a chance to get it thrown out.

I was going to say they never weren't like the SS. I lived in the AC area for a short time around 1976 and they certainly were then, local, state didn't matter. I remember going to court for a speeding ticket, 70 in a 55, there were people there for doing 30 in a 25.

I don't know how it is now, but back then all tickets had a court date, unlike PA where you can plead guilty and send the fine. As a result how it turns out is up to the judge, I was cut a break, it was a day or two before Christmas.

Traffic laws in NJ are geared in favor of the police, here in Pa the motorist has that edge.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post

I always thought the SS modeled themselves after the New Jersey State Police.

(Dauphin County)

tell your buddy to fight it !

he can write a letter to the judge and explain what happened and then the judge will tell him if he has to come in to fight the ticket or not !
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Bucks County)

Fight it. What twp?

(Westmoreland County)

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

That sucks about the friend...but a good lesson can be learned here...never remove your seatbelt before a cop comes up to you when pulled over.

(Cumberland County)

From what I've read here and on other sites, NJ LEOs seem to have a serious "only ones" complex. I have a nephew who's in college majoring in Criminal Justice, and interning with a local agency in NJ as an Auxiliary Police Officer. Sadly, I can sense such an attitude coming on in him and he's not even a sworn officer yet!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast