Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 22/45

(Schuylkill County)

Default My 22/45

Bought by first gun yesterday @ Ed's Sport Shop in Tamaqua. It's a new Ruger Mark III Target 22/45. Took it to the Burma Range last night and but about 250 rounds through her. I had a few FTF and FTEs but figured this was probably the ammo (cheap federal jacketed HP) Out of the 250 or so rounds I think I had 4 missfires. The reason I'm posting is I'm wondering what stuff is available to trick this gun out. Accuracy last night was fantastic, at least I think it was plinking away at random items on the range. I'm going to get some actual targets and do some dispersions this weekend.

Again, I know this is a very popular gun and was wondering if there are any tips on cleaning, tricking, what ammo to use etc.

Thanks
    Last edited by HamburgBoy84; May 20th, 2008 at 08:40 AM.
    Happiness is warm gun (bang bang, shoot shoot)

(Chester County)

Default Re: My 22/45

My 22/45 has had the following changes.

fiber optic front sight
    target trigger
    the hammer and sear were stoned

It has a smooth trigger pull of 2.25 pounds. It's a helluva lot more accurate than I can shoot it. When I'm at the range it gets more trigger time than any of my other pistols.

I find that it likes the Federal target ammo. Mine does fine with the cheaper bulk ammo too but you do tend to get more duds.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by HamburgBoy84 View Post
    Bought by first gun yesterday @ Ed's Sport Shop in Tamaqua. It's a new Ruger Mark III Target 22/45. Took it to the Burma Range last night and but about 250 rounds through her. I had a few FTF and FTEs but figured this was probably the ammo (cheap federal jacketed HP) Out of the 250 or so rounds I think I had 4 missfires. The reason I'm posting is I'm wondering what stuff is available to trick this gun out. Accuracy last night was fantastic, at least I think it was plinking away at random items on the range. I'm going to get some actual targets and do some dispersions this weekend.

Again, I know this is a very popular gun and was wondering if there are any tips on cleaning, tricking, what ammo to use etc.

Thanks
    Congratulations on your first pistol purchase! I bought one in the early 80's. Still have it as it is much too accurate to sell! Only thing I did was put a better trigger on it.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Lycoming County)

Congrats! My 22/45 is the best $250 I ever spent on my fundementals.

You can get a trigger job done on it to take out the overtravel and the creep, lighten it up a bit. You can attach a red dot with the supplied rail. Just be sure you use red loctite for the screws. Otherwise, the wt of the sight will wreck the threads of the screws.

I shoot wally world Fed value pack in mine and have had only I failure in about 5krds. The worst Ive ever used was Remmy Thunderbolt(?). I had about one dud per magazine.

I've only cleaned mine once. Otherwise I just hose it out with carb cleaner and then squirt some Strike Hold in it. Great little plinker.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Allegheny County)

Funny, cause mine eats up the Thunderbolts, and has all kinds of failures on just about evrything else except mini-mags. Wont eat HP's either, they get cut and stuck on the feedramp.

(Lehigh County)

I've had mine since '93. Was my first gun also.

Mines as stock as it can get. The only FTF problem I ever really had is when I sat down with a magazine in my back pocket. Bent the lips. But a little gentle bending, some trial and error and the mags feed great now.

Mine tends to work with best with the Federals. Can't remember what they are, but the box is blue.

Mel

(Blair County)

Don't let all these posts scare you Hamburgboy84, the pistol you bought is one of the best .22 pistols available!

Mine eats anything I feed it, but it's probably too old to recognize bad food.

Just figure out what type of ammo it likes & keep shooting!

I have had mine for about 20 years and my dad & I still laugh about it. It is probably the most neglected pistol in my safe because I HATE cleaning it. Yet it is also one of the most accurate pistols I own!

We have laughed for years that I could probably lay it on the bench and scream "SHOOT" and the dang thing would probably hit the target.

You done good.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Chester County)

This is the front sight I put on mine.

http://www.hivizsights.com/Handgun-R...ht-P18C10.aspx

I didn't pay nearly $41 though. I got it for about $25 at Cabelas if I remember right. It made a huge difference over the black stock sight.

Here it is... It went up a bit in price. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ight&noImage=0
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Schuylkill County)

I cleaned mine yesterday and was a little leary going in because of the difficulty described by the salesman. Everything went back together fine, at least it looks fine. We'll find out when I shoot again tonight. I want to get a red dot, but I'm looking for a small one between 1-2 oz. Anything good available in that size?
    Happiness is warm gun (bang bang, shoot shoot)

(York County)

I got a cheap scope over the red dot. Because I found that the accuracy of the MK III was reaching a point of vision.

I then shot out the bullseye while firing from a rested position.

Cleaning is a !@#$%, got my MK locked up and jammed together and had to bring it to the gunsmith *sighs*

But other than that I love the thing. It fires great. I did need to use some lock-tite on the front sight. As for the FTE try checking how your gripping. If you're letting the recoil push your hand back too much you might get failures to eject.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast