Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Rifle in car

(Monroe County)

Default Rifle in car

I had always thought a person without a LTCF cannot transport firearms in a vehicle, unless they fall into one of the exceptions such as driving to/from a range or gunsmith. However, someone told me yesterday that this does not apply to long guns, because they do not fit the legal definition of "firearm." I looked at the statute, and it seems correct... a lot rifles have a barrel longer than 16".

Is this true? Can I legally have a rifle (unloaded, to comply with state law) in the car at any time (with a barrel over 16")?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Rifle in car

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    I had always thought a person without a LTCF cannot transport firearms in a vehicle, unless they fall into one of the exceptions such as driving to/from a range or gunsmith. However, someone told me yesterday that this does not apply to long guns, because they do not fit the legal definition of "firearm." I looked at the statute, and it seems correct... a lot rifles have a barrel longer than 16".

Is this true? Can I legally have a rifle (unloaded, to comply with state law) in the car at any time (with a barrel over 16")?
    Unloaded, Yes.

I rode around with a mosin in the back seat under a blanket for approx. 2 weeks taking it to various gun shops to sell it.

Also, I'm 99% sure that if it's a shotgun, there isn't to be any shells mounted on the gun either.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Unloaded, Yes.

I rode around with a mosin in the back seat under a blanket for approx. 2 weeks taking it to various gun shops to sell it.

Also, I'm 99% sure that if it's a shotgun, there isn't to be any shells mounted on the gun either.
    Sweet, thank you! I'm going to a PAFOA meet in Mt Pocono, and wanted to make sure I could legally bring my Mosin there before going to the range.

(Jefferson County)

Loaded is defined as:

"Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.

You are only restricted from having ammo in a non-detachable magazine, in the chambers, or with detachable magazines - the loaded mags must not be in the same container as the gun. You can have loose ammo laying beside the gun, you can have ammo in shell carriers mounted on the gun, you can have the gun and ammo duct taped to the headliner. ...just that you cannot have ammo IN the gun's chamber or nondetachable magazines, or in a suitable magazine in the same container.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!