Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arisaka rifle

(York County)

Default Arisaka rifle

Anyone interested int Arisaka rifles? I need resonably priced parts for a type 38 (bolt and magazine box). Also restoring a last ditch type 99 and need the front barrel band with bayonet lug and the front portion of the stock. Interested in buying parts guns and trading.
    Dave

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Arisaka rifle

I wouldnt mind having one in my collection

Its not really high on my list but I'd like one.
    I dont know much about them.

I saw a few at the gun show at Bloomsburg over the weekend

I'm interested in shooters not wall hangers (they are way to expensive)
    Even the mill surp shooters are starting to get crazy expensive.

I'd love to get an m-1 carbine and possibly a garrand but they are WAY out of my price range for now.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(York County)

You can buy nice shooters with "sporterized" (cut down and sanded) stocks for $125 to $150 without the "mum". Come to York and I'll show you some. WWII M1 carbines are going crazy pricewise. Check out CMP for Garands around $400-$450 to your door.

(Bucks County)

Wow slautterback, I wasn't aware that they can go for that much. About a year or two ago a buddy of mine had one that he never shot and he sold to me for $35. It is sporterized but it does still have the mum and is in good condition.

I guess I got a good deal......sweet!

(Delaware County)

I have a soft spot for all rifles/carbines used in WWII. I understand that this rifle is fairly stout and is adecent candidate for sporterizing as a PA deer gun.

Best regards,
    chalmitch

(York County)

Sounds like you got a real deal. I would love to buy them for that. The bolt alone will bring more than that on ebay. Enjoy your piece of WWII history!

(Luzerne County)

I'm not going to make York but I plan on being at Harrisburg in December.

I'll have to look then
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

(Delaware County)

I decided today to sell my sporterized rifle with all the "OTHER" stuff. It will come with new brass, resized .30-06 brass, used Norma brass, some brass ready to fire-form, some hand loads, and the dies. All this for what I have invested - $200.

Best regards,
    chalmitch

(Lycoming County)

Thumbs up Re: Arisaka rifle

First time for me on this site.
    There are a lot of sites on Google that sell parts. You just have to sort out the B.S. and prices to find what you want.
    I have a Type 44 Carbine with "ALL" matching numbers in what I would call "museum Grade". Good metal and good wood.
    About 1976 I loaned my car out to a fellow whose wife was expecting.
    He wasn't interested in firearms and gave it to me for letting him use my car.
    I've been doing some research and the Arisaka market prices run from the ridiculous to sublime.
    I've seen rifles go from $125 to over $800.
    I had to laugh about the $800. Mismatched parts, no dust cover.
    Finding any Arisaka with a matched serial number is no simple task.
    I've been reading a lot of articles about people who have been stung on unsafe weapons and cheap ammo.

(Centre County)

Some of those Arisaka can bring in alot of money.
    I was betting on Type 97 sniper with ground mum while back.
    I stopped betting at $1900. perticuler one went up to $2900.
    My 2 Arisaka I have - Early Type 38 cavery rifle(not carbine, which is plenty of them out there compares to Cavery rifle) which I paid $125 back in 95, which guy thought he was selling carbine). I saw one being auctioned recently on gunbroker(with missing cleaning lod, and generally poor finish with ground mum) was $800 when I saw it. mine is all matching with no missing parts, and 98%(slight ware on blue on top of barrel. So it should go for little more if I ever want to sell it(I wont).
    My Type 99 with matching number and intact mum with missing cleaning rod I paid $230 for it. Guy over at gunboard.com offered me $300. Which I declined.

I wanted to get this Type 44 in 70% condition with mum and matching dust cover. guy was asking $450 for it. By the time I came back with money from the bunk(Dude did not accept check or creditcard), someone already bought it.
    I still kick my ass as to why I didn't leave $20 with the guy for deposit

Type38 and 99 are great little gun. other then ammo being hard to find, and generally expensive, they are accurate, and sports one of the strongest action ever made.
    probrem with them is that captured weapon(generally in better condition) will have ground mum. and battlefield pickup with intact mum are generally in poor condition(specially so with 99). And early type 38 usually rust right up due to real thin blueing they applied on(my early 38 - best we can figure was manufactured in 1906. they entered service in 1905). Still have ealry V natch rear sight. blue applied to my gun is almost dark blue in color because its so thin. makes me wonder how this gun in this past 100+ years never rusted as thing as bluing is. Blueing on 99 are std black blueing Which protected metal better.
    if your gonna shoot your Arisaka, be sure to check them out. Some of late last ditch 99 with cast reciever have documented cases where it brew apart when fired.

To original poster, here is guy I know that makes repro parts(he can machine just about everything)
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/tju/donspartslist.htm
    Last edited by Mity2; November 19th, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast