Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Remington 7600 - Sling stud on forearm bolt?

Just like the thread title says: is it possible to put a sling stud on the forearm bolt of a newer Remington 7600? Uncle Mikes sells two sling stud sets, one they claim is for pre-1968 rifles, which looks like it attaches/replace the forearm bolt:

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/...0_68older.html

and one they claim is for post-1969 rifles, which has a barrel clamp:

http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/...7600_69on.html

I really don't want to use the barrel clamp type, as it kinda defeats the purpose of free floating the barrel, plus I just don't like the way it looks. Does anyone know if it's possible to put the older forearm bolt type on a newer 7600? If not, does anyone know if there is another brand of sling stud that will attach to or replace the forearm bolt?

Thanks!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Default Re: Remington 7600 - Sling stud on forearm bolt?

i own a 7600... but it snever been out of the box... so i cant help you here.

but i would think that if you are NOT using the sling to help with your shooting position then it wouldnt affect the barrel enough to notice... but i could be wrong...
    This Space For Rent

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    i own a 7600... but it snever been out of the box... so i cant help you here.

but i would think that if you are NOT using the sling to help with your shooting position then it wouldnt affect the barrel enough to notice... but i could be wrong...
    I agree. But, I would like the freedom to use a shooting sling and not have it tug on a free-floated barrel. And like I said, I just don't like how it looks anyway.

Thanks for the help; if anyone else has any feedback, I'd appreciate it.
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Somerset County)

i had a 760 gamemaster, this was the old model 7600. i had a swivel attached to my barell and it never seemed to hurt the accuracy of the gun. these guns are not tack dirvers by any measure. but they are great hunting guns. very fast follow up shots and good enough accuracy ( i took 8 deer with mine with the first shot)

(Northumberland County)

ChamberedRound, did you ever resolve this? I just picked up this rifle (synthetic) and I am trying to figure out what swivel to get. I would really like to avoid the barrel clamp if I could. I googled it and someone suggested getting the set that goes with the 760 and shortening the bolt if necessary.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lightyeare View Post
    ChamberedRound, did you ever resolve this? I just picked up this rifle (synthetic) and I am trying to figure out what swivel to get. I would really like to avoid the barrel clamp if I could. I googled it and someone suggested getting the set that goes with the 760 and shortening the bolt if necessary.
    I never found a concrete answer to the question, so I don't know if the swivel set for the older (pre-1968) rifles will work on the new one.

One thing I do know is that Remington has a new 9600 for LEOs, and that rifle DOES have a sling swivel on the forend bolt:

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7600.htm

But, not only is the barrel too short for hunting IMHO, I'm not sure if those parts are available for a standard 9600. I admit that I never contacted Remington to ask though, it kinda fell off the radar for me because I started looking at other options.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

I have a 760 so I never had this problem. I looked at the drawings on e-gunparts and they look the same. I really don't know why it wouldn't work. I found this in a post online about somone ordering a swivel from Remington for the 9600 LEO and it's supposed to fit new 7600's. Here's the info:

This is the sling mount assembly from the patrol/police 7600. The part numbers if anyone is interested is: 202006 for the swivel mount assy/$5.40 and the spacer required for the swivel mount 202007/$3.00. Very inexpensive and proper for the rifle.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

I have two 760s, an older one and a newer one. The barrel on the older version is NOT free-floated, in that it attaches to the front of the action bar assembly, sort of the way the barrel on a Mossberg 500 attaches to the front of the magazine tube. So when you attach a sling to the bolt on an older 760, you are attaching it to a fixed point on the rifle.

On the newer 760s (and 7600s), the barrels are free floated, and there is no "fixed point" at the front end of the slide to which to attach a sling. The forend cap screw moves with the forend. I don't think attaching a sling there would be very helpful. If you were using the sling as a shooting sling--rather than as a carry strap--as soon as you pull the trigger the slide will release and the pressure will pull the slide rearward. Couldn't be good for accuracy.

Haven't examined the 7615 or 7600P, so can't comment on them, but I'll bet the latter has a fixed action tube around which the forend slides.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
    I have two 760s, an older one and a newer one. The barrel on the older version is NOT free-floated, in that it attaches to the front of the action bar assembly, sort of the way the barrel on a Mossberg 500 attaches to the front of the magazine tube. So when you attach a sling to the bolt on an older 760, you are attaching it to a fixed point on the rifle.

On the newer 760s (and 7600s), the barrels are free floated, and there is no "fixed point" at the front end of the slide to which to attach a sling. The forend cap screw moves with the forend. I don't think attaching a sling there would be very helpful. If you were using the sling as a shooting sling--rather than as a carry strap--as soon as you pull the trigger the slide will release and the pressure will pull the slide rearward. Couldn't be good for accuracy.

Haven't examined the 7615 or 7600P, so can't comment on them, but I'll bet the latter has a fixed action tube around which the forend slides.
    Well that gives me all the info I need. It seems silly that Remington would design (or redesign) a rifle such that you can't attach a sling to it without potentially affecting the accuracy of the rifle. I mean, what's the point of floating the action bar and fore-end?
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

I mean, what's the point of floating the action bar and fore-end?
    I've wondered the same thing.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast