Thread: car mods

Default car mods

how strict is PA on modding cars? ie loud exhaust etc

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: car mods

Does the whistle go woo woo?

Or is Dat only in the mornin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQ5tC1jXPc
    Last edited by Huntingdonhavoc; September 13th, 2009 at 12:57 AM.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    how strict is PA on modding cars? ie loud exhaust etc
    Depends on the Insp. mech. and the local cops........

(York County)

Wrong forum...the OP's question probably should have gone in the Lounge forum....or a Hot Rodder website.

I do know there's a decibel level limitation at a certain distance (seems like it's 50 feet, but that's from memory). The law initially addressed those with louder sound systems. I'd guess it could be used against louder exhaust systems too...but there sure are a lot of louder Harleys around this area.

You cannot eliminate the emissions systems, so the catalytic converter must stay (if you want to get through the emissions part of the annual inspection.

Loud exhausts on the older hot rods and muscle cars were the result of putting on less restrictive exhaust systems to increase horsepower which worked great with carburetors. Now, the intakes, injection, and exhaust systems are tuned in such a way that less restrictive exhausts can cause engine problems (running too lean) and actually reduce horsepower. Also, loud exhausts sound cool for a while, but can be pretty irritating to the driver after a while.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Philadelphia County)

Depends which county you're in and who you've got doing the inspection.

I know as you get away from Philly or Pittsburgh, you don't have to deal with emissions testing, but a visual check still stands, and you're still supposed to have emission equipment (EGR valve, PCV valve, catalytic converters, etc.). For exhaust, I think you can probably get away with high flow cats, but I think you need a muffler or a resonator of some sort.

Of course, if you know a guy, it's between you and him regarding what passes.

Regarding engine mods: I think you can do pretty much anything as long as it doesn't remove emissions equipment. Unlike California, we don't have any CARB restrictions, so superchargers, turbos, nitrous, etc., are OK (but most aftermarket turbo systems remove the cats...).

Also have to watch out for window tint...PA doesn't allow it very dark.

Here is a good link for knowing what you need to know.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/067toc.html

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Also, loud exhausts sound cool for a while, but can be pretty irritating to the driver after a while.
    Ain't that the truth!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Depends which county you're in and who you've got doing the inspection.

I know as you get away from Philly or Pittsburgh, you don't have to deal with emissions testing, but a visual check still stands, and you're still supposed to have emission equipment (EGR valve, PCV valve, catalytic converters, etc.). For exhaust, I think you can probably get away with high flow cats, but I think you need a muffler or a resonator of some sort.
    Depends on the year of the vehicle. Emissions testing is now part of the annual inspection in York and other counties...has been for two or three years now.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Philadelphia County)

http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/...pa/default.htm

Put in your county and the year of your car to see what kind of testing you go through.
    Last edited by H.E. Pennypacker; September 13th, 2009 at 10:08 AM.

no inspections here in GA :P my car is quite loud v8 with flowmaster 40dumped before the rear axle im allergic to cats
    i was just contemplating driving it to PA if there be any problems :P
    one of the few stangs i have this is my daily \/

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    no inspections here in GA :P my car is quite loud v8 with flowmaster 40dumped before the rear axle im allergic to cats
    i was just contemplating driving it to PA if there be any problems :P
    one of the few stangs i have this is my daily \/
    First of all, pony cars tend to get away with a lot in rural PA, especially Mustangs and Camaros.

Second of all, if I can get away with driving an RX-7 with a 3.5" exhaust, no cats and an open wastegate, you'll be fine with a nice grumbly 302. Just avoid getting on the gas in any of the cities. Philly and Pittsburgh are obvious ones, but PA is riddled with tiny cities with a Napoleon complex. I've been stopped in Lancaster city for noise violations, and I'm pretty sure York, Harrisburg and Allentown have similar laws, but there are tons of other small cities around that could give you problems. Just stick to the rural country and you'll be A-OK.

(Chester County)

I have a 2001 Cobra with Long tube headers, hi flow catted H pipe, and spintechs and its pretty damn loud and never been bothered with it for 2 1/2 years since ive had it. I also dont drive like an asshole everywhere (i.e. wide open throttle, spinning tires etc) Most local cops dont mind and ive BSed with cops on nightshift for 45 minutes or so etc.

Be smart about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast