Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default NEW JUNIOR AR15 SHOOTER HERE!

(Hey guys my son wanted to make a post on here so im going to let him)

Hey yall!

im thinking about getting into a Junior AR15 shooting competitions at my local range. i was reading all the rules and kind of hit a roadblock on the last rule. it says i must have my own AR15 so i thought to myself ok ill go to the gun shop and pick out a Ar15, i went to the gunshop and looked at the prices...$1000+ i thought to myself is their any place where i can find very low-cost parts and build one myself (as im under 18, dont have a job so im on a really tight budget)? or is there a place where i can buy one for around $500 or under? i have a lot of experience building kits so that wouldnt be a problem for me. Any free advice or parts would be very very appreciated. Thanks for helping the younger generation take part in such a great hobby! THANKS SOOO MUCH! btw i want to make sure i do this COMPLETELY legal, so if a part needs to be shipped to a FFL can you please tell me? Thanks again! happy shooting. i have a lot of experiene building kits so i think that might help a little bit with this, anyone wiling to lend some knowledge or even some parts would really really turn this dream into a reality!
    Last edited by BandanaBandit1; September 17th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: NEW JUNIOR AR15 SHOOTER HERE!

First, welcome to the board. It's especially great that a younger person wants to shoot.

Now, i have a question for you. What kind of comp. are we talking about? You'd want to set your AR up differently depending on the type of comp. Maybe a CMP shoot?

Also, the only item on an AR that needs to go through an FFL is the lower receiver. Your mom or dad would need to buy that for you since persons under 18 can not.

I think it's going to be very hard to put an AR together for $500 though. But please let us know what comp you are looking to get into.

(Bucks County)

Buddy, you are probly looking at $750 minimum to put together a rifle.

I'm not trying to bust your chops, but if you can work at all... and there are all kinds of decent jobs out there... get one! Becoming an EMT doesn't take that long, decent pay for the amount of school, and it will give you a lot of life experience.

Good luck dude!

(Chester County)

yeah...the thing about AR's is that they're so easy to put together, that there isn't really anyway to save, just by putting them together yourself.

I think RRA actually charges more for their LPK and lower separately, than they do when they ship it assembled.

You likely wouldn't be able to save more than maybe $75ish. And the tools you need to perform some steps cuts the cost saving down to about zero.

A build will usually just let you configure the rifle as you choose...but it won't save you much $$.

Just keep an eye out for used pieces. Barrels are the most expensive component. If you can find someone ditching theirs for a shorter barrel, or faster twist barrel, or whatever....then you might be able to save money there. I got my barrel used, but that's a long story.

Unless you rob a barrel for cheap, you're not going to be able to put an AR together for anything close to $500, even if you skimp with some no-name parts.

(Chester County)

Like everyone said, you arnt going to save enough money by building one to make it worth it. If your lucky you will be able to find a decent AR for around 7-800$ on sale, which is over your budget, but not completely ridiculous. I would have to say find a job and save for a month or two and you will have yourself a great rifle.
    God Created Man. Sam Colt made them equal.
    FU BHO.

(Armstrong County)

OK, here's a proposal and some enticement for the other members. I know there's a bunch a people on here willing to help a young shooter and have something laying around that might get this build going.

Start a thread like "BB's AR-15 Build" when you get your lower and post a picture of it (be nice if you included a picture of yourself). When I see that lower posted, I'll send you a LPK. I think I have some carbine handguards and a flash hider around here too. Then post a pic with the LPK installed so we all can enjoy the build with you. If others choose to help out and when the parts come together keep posting the pictures. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions too .....

I'm in a neighboring county and can help if you choose.

Good Luck with the endeavor!
    Last edited by Big Dog; September 12th, 2009 at 10:50 PM.
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Allegheny County)

Smile Re: NEW JUNIOR AR15 SHOOTER HERE!

first off thanks for all your help and advice! i really appreciate it! and ill take your advice on starting another thread with that as the title, Most of all THANK YOU IF ANYONE WOULD HAVE ANY SPARE PARTS LAYING AROUND THAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO GO TO A GOOD CAUSE

(York County)

What kind of competition is this? The type of competition will determine what you need.

(Lawrence County)

Del Ton is still selling kits for $465.....hard to say what the backorder is. Then all you need is a stripped lower and I've been seeing those pop up near $100 like the old days......

I have the tools you can borrow if you want to build one.

Lycananhourawaythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Del Ton is still selling kits for $465.....hard to say what the backorder is. Then all you need is a stripped lower and I've been seeing those pop up near $100 like the old days......

I have the tools you can borrow if you want to build one.

Lycananhourawaythrope
    That's not to far over budget. Unless as suggest (people giving him parts), this is the cheapest way for him to go.

BB ... it would be worth the hour drive to visit Lycan.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast