Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Glock 19 vs. Sig 225/P6

Hi all- I am currently in the process of choosing a pistol. The use will be mainly for target practice, however I do plan on carrying it. As of right now, my two main choices are the Glock 19 or Sig 225/P6. If purchased, the Sig will be slightly used; however it will also be half the price of the Glock. If I choose the Glock, it will be new. Does anyone have any experiences firing a used Sig? Accuracy is a main selling point for me. Any/all info is much obliged, thanks!
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Glock 19 vs. Sig 225/P6

Quote Originally Posted by tec View Post
    Hi all- I am currently in the process of choosing a pistol. The use will be mainly for target practice, however I do plan on carrying it. As of right now, my two main choices are the Glock 19 or Sig 225/P6. If purchased, the Sig will be slightly used; however it will also be half the price of the Glock. If I choose the Glock, it will be new. Does anyone have any experiences firing a used Sig? Accuracy is a main selling point for me. Any/all info is much obliged, thanks!

I have both and like both. The Glock is a bit more accurate for me only do to my poor trigger manipulation on the Sig 225. Thats one big difference, the Sig has a very heavy trigger pull in D/A.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

G19.

I'll go a step further than Hawk: the trigger on the Sig is dreadful. Really, really bad. Memorably bad. Like Oprah Winfrey hiding in your bedroom closet with a jar of Vicks VapoRub, handcuffs, and a bullwhip bad.

Plus, parts, accessories (and repair) are much easier and cheaper with the Glock.

And it's new -- with the Sig you're going to have to detail strip and clean the hell out of it to make sure everything is working properly (and safely) before you carry it. Unless you're a Sig armorer, this is going to cost $.

And the G19 carries 15 rds, v. 8 for the Sig.

I just don't see it as much of a contest, I'd go Glock unless I wanted a range toy, in which case I'd get the Sig. just because it's different.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by tec View Post
    The learning curve to properly press the trigger on the first DA shot of DA/SA auto's is much steeper than striker fired designs such as the Glock. You will work much harder with the SIG to achieve the same results.

I'd recommend the Glock.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the replys gents. After talking to a friend, I think I'm going to stick with my original plan and opt for the Glock. Now if I can just stop spending all my money at the bars.....
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Lancaster County)

Arrow Re: Glock 19 vs. Sig 225/P6

The Sig is longer, taller, wider, heavier, has a shorter barrel, shorter sight radius, and holds fewer rounds than the Glock. Plus, as the other gentlemen have said, the trigger will be more difficult to learn. Go with the Glock!

Sig 225/p6
    Length, overall 7.1"
    Height, overall 5.2"
    Width, overall 1.3"
    Barrel length 3.9"
    Rifling twist 1 in 10"
    Rifling grooves 6
    Sight radius 5.7"
    Weight, w/o magazine 26.1 oz.
    Weight, empty magazine 2.8 oz.
    Trigger pull DA 12 lbs., SA 4.5 lbs.
    Magazine capacity 8 rounds

Glock 19
    Overall length (slide) 6.85 in. (174 mm)
    Height, including magazine 5.00 in. (127 mm)
    Width 1.18 in. (30 mm)
    Barrel length 4.02 in. (102 mm)
    Sight radius 5.98 in. (152 mm)
    Rifling Hexagonal profile with right-hand twist of one turn in 9.84 in. (250 mm)
    Weight, without magazine 20.99 oz. (595 g)
    Weight, empty magazine 2.46 oz. (70 g)
    Weight, full magazine ~8.99 oz. (~255 g)
    Magazine capacity 15 rounds

(Mercer County)

I have two used sigs. The 225 is an excellent choice. I like mine just fine. The trigger is just fine. Some Sigs do need to be lightened up or smoothed up. The P6 225 was meant to be a service pistole. The mainspring is HEAVY, but a new, lighter one can be had from Brownells. I dont think there have been too many kabooms with the 225, cant say the same for the plastics (choke) Glocks. (Choke choke) It will be much easier to find a Glock.

Try finding a used 225 that is not a surplus P6.

Hey, you might be able to find a used, surplus Glock! Make sure your medical is paid up to date, though.
    Last edited by caminoman; February 15th, 2008 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling

(Monroe County)

I think the P225 has its merits - the single-stack grip feels great in the hands, it's a Sig, and just 'feels' like a gun as opposed to a polymer gun (yes, I know that's my own personal feeling).

But one major drawback of the P6 models is that it can have difficulties feeding hollowpoints, and that is a major flaw if you wanted to carry it. Some have reported their P6 working fine, while others have not. The fix would be to get an upgraded P226 barrel, but that's just upping the price.

I'd definately go with the Sig P6. Compared to a G19 I used it have it is more reliable, more accurate and has a much better grip feel. I like the hard DA pull as a safety feature and the SA pull is great. I figure when shooting for fun I'll be using SA anyway and if I ever need it for self-defense I won't notice the DA pull.

Although the W. German imports now available (for much less than a Glock) have slide wear, I doubt if many have been shot a lot.

I haven't had any problems shooting JHPs through mine.

(Philadelphia County)

whatever you do please go shoot the glock before you decide. The grip was not for me and I had a harder time shooting it.

Mags for the sig are double the cost of the glocks. Once you add up the cost of new grips, refinish, sights, mags you end up a lot higher than the 260$ AIM price. Consider the extra costs you might be ponying up before you chose the sig. I found a cz 75 for less than the AIM sig p6 fwiw and ended up with that. I have no intention of carrying it so size wasn't an issue. With thin metal grips it is the perfect size for my hand, now to just save for them. I can hit chest shots at 25yds with both DA and SA trigger pulls with ease after only shooting for less than a month with it.

Look around because I saw some used sig 225's in the shops near me and got to hold them. Fit me better than the glock mainly because I didn't fit into the finger grooves on the glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast