Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Remington 1911 R1

I know that there has been a post or two on this handgun.

But now that those that own one have had some time under their belt what is the consensus?

I am looking at a nice custom shop breed with nice pearl grips with the Remington "R" engraved on both sides.

The trigger was real nice in a dry run sort of way.

Compared it to the SR1911 by Ruger (our LGS has only had one or two drift in for two years and the other day they received four of the Rugers) and the Colt 1911 Gov.

The gun shop gleam put the R1 above the SR1911 and that above the Colt.

But their is a $300 price difference between the Ruger and the Remington.

But if the Remington is that nice I will consider it.

Of these three what do you guys know or hear regarding these?

Thanks for any insight.

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Washington County)

Default Re: Remington 1911 R1

Which R1 is it- R1, R1 ENHANCED, or R1 ENHANCED w THREADED BARREL? I don't own or have shot any of these, but I have handled them and I own a few 1911's myself. Never handled the standard R1. The R1 ENHNCED was nice, but pulling the slide back was a little rough. Now, the threaded barrel version was like butter pulling the slide back; even with the hammer dropped on it. I couldn't relay how smooth and effortless it was! All 3 Rem's are pretty nice though. The Ruger and Colt aren't bad either; it just depends on what floats your boat.

I currently have a Kimber Custom II w Night Sights and VZ grips, Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II w VZ grips, and a Springfield TRP Stainless. Just FYI depending on what R1 model you're considering, maybe check out the Custom II- it's a hell of a gun for the price.

(Mercer County)

I have a standard R1. It's a good gun. I am very impressed with how tight the slide/frame fit is, but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. What really impressed me was how tightly the barrel bushing is fitted, and that is very important to me. It's as almost as tight as my Baer, and is impossible to remove without using a bushing wrench. The safety engages and disengages VERY positively, though I'm not a fan of the safety itself. If I were to carry it, I would need to install an extended thumb safety.

The trigger is good as far as lower-end production 1911s are concerned. Mine is right around 5.5 pounds, without a whole lot of creep. It doesn't break like my Valor or Baer, but I'm okay with that, as I didn't pay nearly what I paid for them.

All in all, it's a solid shooter with room for upgrade.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Montgomery County)

I have a very small amount of anecdotal evidence. A buddy of mine has a Remington 1911, not sure which model, but he's has quite a few issues with reliable feeding.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Armstrong County)

I've shot and did a trigger job on my friend's R1. For the price, it's a very nice firearm. Wasn't too thrilled on how they setup the firing pin block.

The one I worked on in particular, had some VERY tight tolerances. Tighter than my Kimber.

Trigger is fairly nice. I think from the factory it was around 5-6 lbs.

Anyway you can post what Colt model and the exact model of Remington you're looking at? $300 more for a Rem. over an SR is quite a step and the bennies just are not there, IMO.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Any idea what has been done to the R1 besides the engraving and the grips? Think I'd be more interested in the Ruger or Colt at that kind of price difference. Honestly, I think the Ruger is one of the better values in the "lower middle class" 1911 category, you get a lot of nice features for a pretty reasonable price.

(Monroe County)

I have been debating myself between the sti spartan, r1 enhanced or SA range officer and handled all of them. to me the spartan felt the best overall.

I would look at a ruger if i could find one.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    I have a very small amount of anecdotal evidence. A buddy of mine has a Remington 1911, not sure which model, but he's has quite a few issues with reliable feeding.
    I own a R1. I've had lots of feed problems with mine. Mine did not have a polished feed ramp which I believe is the problem. I've tryed taking some 1000 sandpaper to it. Hopefully that will do the trick.

(Monroe County)

I own an R1S. Just got back from the range. Just put it's 500th round through it today. I did have some feed issues early on...first 100 rounds. The factory mags aren't so good. I went with Chip McCormick mags. Haven't had an issue since then. It's a great shooter and I just ordered a crossbreed so I can carry it. For the price and the amount of upgrades available it's a fine gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast