Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default .357SIG Reloading

Folks,

Interested in getting into reloading, specifically for the .357SIG and thirty-ought for the Garand. Can I use bullets of higher weight than 125g? Like, a 147g?

Thanks for the four-eleven ;-)

tJg

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: .357SIG Reloading

I don't reload yet, but I do have the ingredients.(brass, powder, primers, bullets) I do know their are 147gr JHPs available comercially for .357SIG.

I was given complete reloading set up in a friends will. His estranged children are contesting the will so I am still waiting to get the equipment.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .357SIG Reloading

You can easily load the .357 SIG with 147-grain bullets. The only question is "why do it?"

Any handgun with fixed sights will hit higher with slower and heavier projectiles, and lower with faster and lighter ones.

If your pistol shoots on-target, stick with the same bullet weight. If it is low, go down a weight and bring the velocity up.

The reason is "timing" of the recoil plus barrel time. Slower and heavier projectiles impart the same recoil, but are in the barrel long enough that they are launched from a muzzle that has flipped up higher than a faster and lighter load.

As for the Garand, I would start with bullets in the 168-grain range, and if accuracy isn't up to par, move both up and down until you find the one that your rifle shoots the best.
    Last edited by maz2331; May 16th, 2009 at 02:22 AM.