Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default High Tech Hand Guns, Pittsburgh, PA 15237

Hold on to your pocket book; read the rest of the thread.

Walt the gun finisher and Kieth the gunsmith do great work; just keep your guns from Jeff.
    Last edited by wboggs; March 19th, 2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Update from experience

(Monroe County)

Default Re: High Tech Hand Guns, Pittsburgh, PA 15237

that is a beauty! very nice

(Allegheny County)

They have a website.

Hightech Handguns

(Allegheny County)

Note to all...

Sadly it immediately became evident after shooting the "Custom Target Gun" Jeff had his gunsmith build that nothing more was done to it but to paint it grey and blue, add a compensator (a style of which is not functional) and add a target trigger to it. I paid $1,200 bucks for a cheap Mil Spec with a fancy paint job.

This order birthed out of my watching a special on one of the educational channels on satellite TV where a guy threw aspirins in the air and shot them down with a rifle. I'm not that good, but I am pretty good, but that inspired me to dust off the guns and look into what it takes on a 1911 to shoot very accurately. Jeff said he could get me what I wanted for $1,200.00 and for the 4 months it took to see a gun, he continued to tell me how happy I would be and how he is taking care of me. If I had 5.00 for every time he reassured me, I could be paying cash for a Nighthawk Custom.

The gun I ordered with his direction was a black Mil Spec 45 with wood grips; what I got was a grey frame, blue slide and plastic grips that looked like pearl swirl that were as smooth as a babies ass (not easy to hold on to for target). I fired 50 factory ball rounds and they all key-holed; I took it back and insisted on talking to the gunsmith and that was the first time he herd about that gun supposedly being a custom target pistol.

The gunsmith asked me to leave the room then shortly thereafter Jeff emerged announcing what a hero he was that he would be buying the gun back or get me the gun I want. I ordered a Kimber Gold Match 2 for the same money and when it came in and Jeff prepared the final bill, he attempted to extort me. I gave him a gun I no longer wanted to sell on consignment and he tried to charge me for half the price of the lock that went with the new owner since I didn't provide one. Half was 12.00 which is what he charged me for the same lock when I had him do a transfer; Since then I have located that same lock at Midway USA for 6.99 and locks as cheap as 3.00 that satisfies the law.

After all the lies and stories that were total BS and his trying to extort me on the final bill which I told him I refused to pay; I have to wonder just how much he sold my other pistol for since he showed me nothing to prove the price. In fact Saturday when he attempted to extort me, he said I gave him a 25.00 variation to negotiate the sale but the asking price was about 350.00 and he's telling me he sold it for 250.00. I will be calling the police today to see if they can find the new owner to see if Jeff out and out stole from me which I'm betting my left arm he did.

I will stand buy my recognition of his gunsmith (Keith) and the guy who does the gun finishing (Walt) as professional and doing extremely good work. they talked to me Sunday at the club and they are going to corner Jeff and lay down the law since is incident affects their image. The gun provided, howbeit had nothing to do with what I ordered, was absolutely beautiful and the craftsmanship was second to none. Jeff clearly has no conscience at all since our agreement was that I would shoot that gun with my shooting expertise which draws attention and sell guns for him. In preparation for that I purchased 115.00 worth of custom hats advertising his shop since he was doing such an over the top job for me. All the while he's not doing anything right and steeling from me to boot.

I hope this thread shows up on a Google search to warn other potential victims of this thief.

PS I did end up with the Kimber Gold Match and love it and it is very accurate.

OH and.... the gunsmith even said that the Springfield Mil Spec cant even be fitted to a target match barrel because of the way the slide is made. So there was never any hope of it happening.

A foot note: If you're considering a Springfield Mil Spec, look at the Kimber Custom 2. For the same price the Custom 2 comes with a match barrel and a light target trigger. The Springfield is a clunker/plunker.

I sincerely hope nobody got hurt with my original post on this supplier.
    Last edited by wboggs; March 7th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Sadly, this is an old story. Bad Gunsmiths, bad info and not doing your homework before ordering a gun.

First of all the gunsmith is wrong, a match barrel can be fitted to a mil-spec gun. I have seen many a custom gun start out as a mil-spec. I prefer to just buy the frame and slide and start from scratch.

Did you talk to anyone who had custom guns about where to go to get the work done? Did you ask to see examples of their work? The stuff on their web site in not that impressive.

You should look for a gunsmith that specializes in a gun or type of shooting you are looking for. When a gunsmith dabbles in many different types of guns or styles, it is usually with bad or minimal results. You should not have to suffer while they hack their way through a project. Depending on the style of shooting you do, having a gunsmith push the envelop or experiment is fine, if you give them permission to do it. But, that gunsmith better have a base of experience that you trust. Too many shops call a gun a full custom when it was just lightly worked on. Adding parts is one thing, fitting them properly is another.

Be happy that the guy bought the gun back.

If you want to get work done on that new Kimber, then I can give you some suggestions where to go. GANS, EGW, Novak, etc. They have a reputation of doing great work and standing behind their work.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Allegheny County)

I'll defend the gunsmith, he did an excellent job and lets say it's his opinion not to start with a Mil Spec to build a custom target gun. He said he wold have suggested jsut buying a Kimber Gold Match off the shelf for the money.

The gunsmith and the guy who did the finishing did excellent work; it's jsut the work had nothing to do with what was ordered. The owner, Jeff is they one without a conscience; after I returned the gun and said what I expected, the gunsmith said that, that was the first time he herd any of that. Jeff kept my desires secret and as though he has a serious problem, went off and ordered the smith and finisher to do something totally different.

No I didn't get references; he's a life member of the club I belong to and I was a somewhat new member, I was shown a gun in his case that he said he would match. Night and day the difference.
    Last edited by wboggs; March 7th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I'll defend the gunsmith, he did an excellent job and lets say it's his opinion not to start with a Mil Spec to build a custom target gun. He said he would have suggested just buying a Kimber Gold Match off the shelf for the money.

The gunsmith and the guy who did the finishing did excellent work; it's just the work had nothing to do with what was ordered. The owner, Jeff is they one without a conscience; after I returned the gun and said what I expected, the gunsmith said that, that was the first time he herd any of that. Jeff kept my desires secret and as though he has a serious mental problem, went off and ordered the smith and finisher to do something totally different.

No I didn't get references; he's a life member of the club I belong to and I was a somewhat new member, I was shown a gun in his case that he said he would match. Night and day the difference.

I'm not going to say much in here, wbogs if you'd like to PM me and we will talk about details.

But I know the situation at hightech very very well because I see walt and keith atleast twice a week. I will stand behund walt and keith on jus about anything but I wouldn't trust jeff any more than i could throw him, and I can't pick him up.

I will be talking to them both along wit chik to see if i cant get their side of the story and see what jeff did this time. But let me say if anyone near us needs duracoat or some gunsmith work I will hook you up with them personally jeff is the middle man, all he does is tell them what you want(or his version of it that involes him getting the most cash) and takes whateer is left over from their cost which is why you need to watch deaing with jeff

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I'm not going to say much in here, wbogs if you'd like to PM me and we will talk about details.

But I know the situation at hightech very very well because I see walt and keith atleast twice a week. I will stand behund walt and keith on jus about anything but I wouldn't trust jeff any more than i could throw him, and I can't pick him up.

I will be talking to them both along wit chik to see if i cant get their side of the story and see what jeff did this time. But let me say if anyone near us needs duracoat or some gunsmith work I will hook you up with them personally jeff is the middle man, all he does is tell them what you want(or his version of it that involes him getting the most cash) and takes whateer is left over from their cost which is why you need to watch deaing with jeff
    I wouldn't tell anybody to have Jeff as the middle man; that's my WHOLE problem; Jeff as the middle man. I would definitely agree with you on Kieth and Walt, they are both outstanding craftsmen; you just need to go there on a Saturday when they are there and talk to them and them alone.

Wait till you hear what Walt and Kieth have to say about it; just dont plan to bring it up unless you have a lot of time to listen. They have both completely had it with Jeff. I ran into Kieth at the Club Sunday and he unloaded for about an hour in my defense and apologizing for the mess Jeff caused.

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
    I wouldn't tell anybody to have Jeff as the middle man; that's my WHOLE problem; Jeff as the middle man. I would definitely agree with you on Kieth and Walt, they are both outstanding craftsmen; you just need to go there on a Saturday when they are there and talk to them and them alone.

Wait till you hear what Walt and Kieth have to say about it; just dont plan to bring it up unless you have a lot of time to listen. They have both completely had it with Jeff. I ran into Kieth at the Club Sunday and he unloaded for about an hour in my defense and apologizing for the mess Jeff caused.
    yeah maybe i put it wrong but I ment jeff is the middle man and you need to avoid that aspect of it. I hate having to put this on here, which is why I tried to avoid the hightech handgun threads but this is one of the worst ones i've come across so I guess its that time.

Also be assured when they asked you to leave they where giving it to jeff wondering WTF he was thinking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast