Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Tool

(Westmoreland County)

Default Tool

Was looking at some tools for the guns. surprised at some prices. Do you need to buy special tools or will regular screwdrivers work? Also where did you get yours from?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Tool

Any old screwdriver will work! That way all the screws on your guns will look like this!

Seriously, invest in a GOOD set of HOLLOW GROUND screwdrivers.

Here is an article expaining the difference and why..

http://www.tngun.com/differences-bet...-screwdrivers/

Plenty of outfits sell decent sets, Brownells, Midway, lots of sets on EBay and Amazon. You can buy a half dozen general sized screwdrivers for cheap or spend hundreds.

I personally have a set of Forsters, I ordered them long ago with some reloading stuff, then I have a few others I picked up here and there.

Link to Forsters:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store...36&catid=19938
    Last edited by 762xIan; October 30th, 2013 at 09:01 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Allegheny County)

A pin punch set comes in handy when working on firearms.
    If gun control worked, Chicago would be like Mayberry, instead of Thunderdome.

(Chester County)

Non marring plastic, brass or rubber hammers are needed. Also a set of quality dental style scribes for small spring handling.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Any old screwdriver will work! That way all the screws on your guns will look like this!

Seriously, invest in a GOOD set of HOLLOW GROUND screwdrivers.

Here is an article expaining the difference and why..

http://www.tngun.com/differences-bet...-screwdrivers/

Plenty of outfits sell decent sets, Brownells, Midway, lots of sets on EBay and Amazon. You can buy a half dozen general sized screwdrivers for cheap or spend hundreds.

I personally have a set of Forsters, I ordered them long ago with some reloading stuff, then I have a few others I picked up here and there.

Link to Forsters:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/store...36&catid=19938

I could not agree with this more!
    Jules

(Lehigh County)

Depending on what you are tring to accomplish, common tools will work just fine. There are speciality tools for various things firearm related and most of these can be purchased at your local gun shop or online at places like Midway USA or Brownelle's.

Rick

(Montgomery County)

Don't just get quality tools, but make sure you are using the right one. Can't tell you how many times I've seen people use the wrong tool for the job. Screwdrivers, especially, are challenging for some people. There are many tip widths and thicknesses for slotted drivers and different sizes of phillips. Torx are harder to screw up, but it's possible to use one size down and think it might be close enough.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

Look at ordinary plain screwdrivers. They are shaped like a wedge. A wedge will act like a ramp under pressure, and will "climb out" from the slot in a screw. Gunsmithing screwdrivers have surfaces that do not lever out of the slot and should fit with no "shake" when engaged. In the years gone buy, I have ground a screwdriver to fit the screw I wanted to turn. After a while I had a collection of screwdrivers set aside for gun work. Today, well-engineered/manufactured bits are made to fit drivers and inch-pound wrenches. Well worth the investments.

Anybody who has done any mechanical work knows, right tool for the right job can save you tons of aggravation. I like craftsman.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

Don't even think of using a standard screw driver on your weapon, they don't fit and you will gall the screw as seen above. Many have tried this..including me 30 years ago, I purchased a set of screw drivers from cabelas after reading various feedback, mine have the wooden handles,, they fit very tight and the width fills the screw notch, I also purchased a set of brass drifts at one of those hunting expo's so I can drift my Winchester front site a little next time I get it out. It shoots left.. far left..LOL

I think that was the reason I found it very reasonable on the used rack, its a 22 magnum, but in very good shape.
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"