Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default My 4yo son approves Glock ownership...

I was cleaning a few of my guns and my 4yo son took interest, so I let him help me wipe parts and clean odds and ends. He had a great time, and I took the opportunity to start his education of firearm safety. We went over the rules about not touching and getting an adult if he ever found a gun, we talked about trigger discipline, target confirmation, safe muzzle direction, as well as proper PPE.

For cleaning, I explained how to make sure the barrel was over the sprayers and which detergents to use, to ensure a streak free shine...

OK OK OK ... that was a poser pic...

Anyhow, after we cleaned the 10/22, the Glock, the AR, and several magazines, my son told me he liked the Glock the best and it was his favorite gun.

Notice the trigger discipline. lol

Anyhow, it was a touching father/son moment I thought I'd share...
    Maybe now that I've got a nice single shot .22/.410, it's time to take him to the range...
    Does anyone think is 4yo too soon to let him shoot this:
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Monroe County)

Default Re: My 4yo son approves Glock ownership...

Very cool! You have him young and ready to learn. Slowly take away the tupperware gun from him and show him a 1911.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(Bedford County)

My daughter was almost 6 when she started with her Crickett .22

She's now 9 and shooting balloons at 100 yards with a cut down Marlin model 60.

Only the parents will know when the child is mature enough to handle shooting safety. Some kids could be 5 the next might not be ready at 10.

Come to think of it.... there are more than a few 20+ yr old "kids" out there that should not have a gun.

Good luck with your son. Shooting with a child has been a great experience for us. Father daughter time on the range is PRICELESS!!! and it pisses Liberals off to no end.

My oldest has a cricket, that she is yet to shoot. She is ready, but until now, the length of pull was a tad too long. I want her first shooting experience to be a good one, so she stays interested. Imagine getting on a bench over a high powered rifle and not being able to sight properly, or reach the trigger correctly. It would not be much fun. Make sure whatever you decide to let him shoot fits him. I have seen many parents with "great intentions" let their kids shoot handguns that are way too much for them to handle. You will know when he is ready.
    Jules

p.s. the cricket is a nice little package for under 100 bucks. I had her's out tonight shooting steel silhouette animals out to 110 yards with great success. The trigger is typical for a "youth" rifle....about 14 pounds or so, but it is nice and accurate.

(Warren County)

I've joked about putting a big scope and suppressor on a cricket.... perhaps now's the time to look into getting a cricket... lol

I've looked around a bit and can't find a cricket for less than 125ish... where are you finding them for under 100?
    Last edited by sinful; October 14th, 2008 at 09:38 PM.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    I've joked about putting a big scope and suppressor on a cricket.... perhaps now's the time to look into getting a cricket... lol

I've looked around a bit and can't find a cricket for less than 125ish... where are you finding them for under 100?

Gander Mountain has them around X-mas for $99.00 in black or pink synthetic.
    My daughter has the pink rifle, and it shoots like a dream for such a cheap gun.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sinful View Post
    ...my son told me he liked the Glock the best and it was his favorite gun.

Notice the trigger discipline. lol...
    Sooner or later, some Obama mamma is gonna see that photo and pass the hell out.

You'll be the one to know when it's "time".
    Have fun. Be safe.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

If I had a son, and he didn't like my glock (even if he was 17 years old) he'd be up for adoption quicker than a cute chinese girl.
    Great job!

(Delaware County)

IMHO, a child is old enough to take to the range when they will obey the STOP! command immediately and without question.

(Westmoreland County)

Good job, Sinful...keep on him about safety. It's never to early to teach safety, but you'll know when he's ready to start shooting. I just upgraded my two boys (10 & 11) from .22 rifle and pistol to a few mags outta the 9mm Ruger! They loved it! They want to try the AR and AK next trip to camp!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast