Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dirty "New" Guns?

Over the years I have purchased many handguns, used and "new".

Has anyone else brought their new gun home, field stripped it and cleaned it to find it filthy dirty, especially around the breech?

I have recently purchased a Glock and a Sig, both claimed "new" from different gun shops, and when I cleaned them it looks they just got back from the range after being put through its paces.

Do gun shops fire weapons they get in? Why in the heck would a glock, or a sig come from the factory (especially when some glock folks claim it comes fire ready and factory clean out of the box) dirty unless it was fired by the middleman? I understand the test fire that you get from the factory, but I would think 1 round would make the gun so dirty.

Not to mention my new glock smelled of gun powder.

Anyone else ever experience this?
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; December 3rd, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Dirty "New" Guns?

Glocks get test fired twice at the factory I believe. To answer your question, no I've never experience a dirty "new" gun. I would be suspicious of it actually being used.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I would be suspicious of it actually being used.
    Aye.

I wonder if there is any way to prove such thing.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Glocks get test fired twice at the factory I believe. To answer your question, no I've never experience a dirty "new" gun. I would be suspicious of it actually being used.
    Guns are fired a minimum of once, and in some cases several times.

Reasons behind a dirty new gun:

1. proofing load. Some countries require this by law for guns to be made, sold, imported, or exported. (Italy is stringent on this)
    2. ballistics sample shot(s) - for states like NY that require a fired casing to be submitted to authorities
    3. sight alignment - some manufacturers pre-sight adjust your gun, which requires firing of 3-10 rounds.

Since manufacturers cannot guaranty that a specific batch of guns will only go to a certain state or nation, they often perform all the firings needed to all guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Got the whole test fire at the factory thing, but in short the answer is "no" a gun shouldn't look like it just came from the range.
    IMO, you should ask your dealer to see a copy of his bound book, showing where he took the gun in from. If it is a distributor, it is new..if it is an individual, the gun is USED and you dealer probably committed some sort of fraud...

The places i shop have an "open book" policy where they will gladly show you where they got the gun from. I would be suspicious of any shops who didn't.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Guns are fired a minimum of once, and in some cases several times.

Reasons behind a dirty new gun:

1. proofing load. Some countries require this by law for guns to be made, sold, imported, or exported. (Italy is stringent on this)
    2. ballistics sample shot(s) - for states like NY that require a fired casing to be submitted to authorities
    3. sight alignment - some manufacturers pre-sight adjust your gun, which requires firing of 3-10 rounds.

Since manufacturers cannot guaranty that a specific batch of guns will only go to a certain state or nation, they often perform all the firings needed to all guns.
    When I got my Glock 19 new, around 10 years ago, it came with two fired casings in a little envelope in the box. i understand some states require they be submitted, as knight noted. In the OP's case it seems possible the gun was sample-fired but the dealer removed the casings from the box since they aren't needed in PA, or that they were never even included for a gun shipped to PA.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Many years ago I purchased a Ruger Super Redhawk in stainless. The gun arrived with the top of the cylinder chambers somewhat black. Yes, it was a new model at the time and the factory wasted no time test firing a cylinder full of cartridges.

(Bucks County)

I just bought a M&P Shield 40 a few weeks back and it was dirty from the factory. When I asked about it they said that they ship right after the test fire and are not cleaned first.

(Westmoreland County)

I have had firearms shipped to me from manufacturers/distributors in appallingly filthy condition at times. Some makers are worse than others about not cleaning their arms after test firing them. Others are much better at doing so. Oddly I've had guns from the same manufacturer come in filthy then very clean; so I guess it depends on the final inspectors at times how they go out.

Btw, some manufacturers test fire their arms quite extensively. Sometimes up and exceeding 100 Rds.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orlov556 View Post
    Got the whole test fire at the factory thing, but in short the answer is "no" a gun shouldn't look like it just came from the range.
    IMO, you should ask your dealer to see a copy of his bound book, showing where he took the gun in from. If it is a distributor, it is new..if it is an individual, the gun is USED and you dealer probably committed some sort of fraud...

The places i shop have an "open book" policy where they will gladly show you where they got the gun from. I would be suspicious of any shops who didn't.
    I understand what you are saying about the open book policy. I do not think I am in love with that idea. Not sure why.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast