Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fayette County)

Default Hey Me Too! AR Build

So I, like many others on this forum, have decided to build an AR. This will be my first AR type rifle. I never cared for them in the past but they keep growing on me. Now I find myself wanting one more and more. I want to build an A2 style with a 20" barrel. This will be more of a "plinking" rifle than a "match" rifle. I've always been an open sights kinda guy so I am not interested in mounting a scope. Let me also say that I already plan on building a flat top 16" after this one. I just want an original looking AR for my first.

I picked up a DPMS lower at the Greensburg gunshow this weekend so that is taken care of. Now to the parts kit. I have narrowed down my choices to two, Sarco and J&T Distributing. I have looked and searched and read about most all companys that sell kits and after reading the good and bad about all of these companys on this site and others, it seems that no one has anything bad to say about J&T. Sarco has a slightly more neutral following. Of course I want to keep price as low as possible and I am not interested in retaining any resale value because it will never be sold, but I do want a good looking and working rifle. The Sarco kit has an A1 (thin) barrel, A2 upper, and the triangle handguards that I am rather fond of. It sells for $399.50. The J&T kit is all A2 with a "match grade" HBAR barrel. It sells for $459.95. I am not interested in any other frills or add-on parts.

So does anybody here have "hands on" experience with either of these two kits or companys? Finish? Function? Overall quality? Neither kit has been discussed much on this site, is there a reason for that? The Sarco kit is listed as "new" or "like new", what should I expect? How about the thin A1 barrel in the Sarco kit, Is it cause for concern? To be honest, I am leaning towards the Sarco kit not only because of price but also because of those slick lookin handguards, old school baby! But, if it turns out this is not as good of a deal as it seems, I will gladly spend the extra cash for the J&T kit.

All insightful thoughts and comments are welcomed, thanks.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Hey Me Too! AR Build

I've shot several J&T kits as well as Double Star......same stuff. I consider them about as good as Del Ton....which I really like.

If you look into the old school A1 style make sure they aren't shooting the old 1:12 twist that limits you to light bullets.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Fayette County)

Thanks Lycanthrope, twist rate never crossed my mind. Their ad does state that it is a new A1 barrel. Guess I will have to contact them to find out for sure.

Lycan...1:12 would be good for a .22 upper though...wouldnt it?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Lycan...1:12 would be good for a .22 upper though...wouldnt it?
    You've been paying attention......

Lycanyesthrope

Thanks, I was hoping to have my lower to show you at the next group shoot, but I will bring what I have to show you.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Thanks, I was hoping to have my lower to show you at the next group shoot, but I will bring what I have to show you.
    Cool. Look me up.