Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Ruger SR9 and feeding

Yesterday, I had the chance to fire a ruger SR9. I fired about 100 rounds of Winchester White box ammo through it. I thought it was a great gun. It wasn't so enormous that you cannot conceal it. The magazine holds 17 rounds. There is a loaded chamber indicator. Overall, it had a lot of great features. I just had one question about feeding. On 2-3 occasions when I pulled the trigger (after loading in a mag), nothing happened. I was confused since there was already a round in the chamber (yes, the safety was off). When I pulled the slide back (only partway) to see what was wrong, I noticed that there was a round in the chamber. When I released the slide, I noticed that the loaded chamber indicator came ALL the way up, not part of the way up. I tried pulling the trigger again and it fired that time.

Why did I have that problem? Was I doing something wrong? Does the Ruger SR9 not like Winchester White box 9mm (115 gr, FMJ)? I had loaded the magazines with 17 rounds using the speed loader. Is it possible that since the mags were new, the spring tension was still so high that it didn't cycle correctly?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ruger SR9 and feeding

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    On 2-3 occasions when I pulled the trigger (after loading in a mag), nothing happened. I was confused since there was already a round in the chamber (yes, the safety was off). When I pulled the slide back (only partway) to see what was wrong, I noticed that there was a round in the chamber. When I released the slide, I noticed that the loaded chamber indicator came ALL the way up, not part of the way up. I tried pulling the trigger again and it fired that time.
    It sounds like the slide may not have been all the way forward. When you pulled it back slightly and released it, the slide went to the forward most position. Was the gun properly lubed prior to use?

(Allegheny County)

Yesterday, I had the chance to fire a ruger SR9. I fired about 100 rounds of Winchester White box ammo through it. I thought it was a great gun. It wasn't so enormous that you cannot conceal it. The magazine holds 17 rounds. There is a loaded chamber indicator. Overall, it had a lot of great features. I just had one question about feeding. On 2-3 occasions when I pulled the trigger (after loading in a mag), nothing happened. I was confused since there was already a round in the chamber (yes, the safety was off). When I pulled the slide back (only partway) to see what was wrong, I noticed that there was a round in the chamber. When I released the slide, I noticed that the loaded chamber indicator came ALL the way up, not part of the way up. I tried pulling the trigger again and it fired that time.

Why did I have that problem? Was I doing something wrong? Does the Ruger SR9 not like Winchester White box 9mm (115 gr, FMJ)? I had loaded the magazines with 17 rounds using the speed loader. Is it possible that since the mags were new, the spring tension was still so high that it didn't cycle correctly?
    I have an SR9 and have not had 1 issue in about 2k rounds. I've used about every kind of target ammo. Federal and American Eagle, PMC, Blazer Brass, Wolf, WWB you name it. The only thing I could suggest is that maybe the slide isn't going into full battery when cycling. Also, did you check the primers to make sure they weren't hit at all, or just lightly? Honestly it's hard to say, but clean the piss out of it and try again.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by smithwessn View Post
    It sounds like the slide may not have been all the way forward. When you pulled it back slightly and released it, the slide went to the forward most position. Was the gun properly lubed prior to use?
    I wouldn't know for sure, because it wasn't mine. I met up with a fellow PAFOA member to try out his SR9 (I'm trying out different 9mm's for my first purchase). I would have to ask him to see if it was lubed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    I have an SR9 and have not had 1 issue in about 2k rounds. I've used about every kind of target ammo. Federal and American Eagle, PMC, Blazer Brass, Wolf, WWB you name it. The only thing I could suggest is that maybe the slide isn't going into full battery when cycling. Also, did you check the primers to make sure they weren't hit at all, or just lightly? Honestly it's hard to say, but clean the piss out of it and try again.
    What would prevent the slide from going into full battery? I don't understand what you meant about the primers. Are you talking about the primers in the 9mm cartridge?

(Allegheny County)

What would prevent the slide from going into full battery? I don't understand what you meant about the primers. Are you talking about the primers in the 9mm cartridge?
    A weak load can prohibit from going into full battery, especially if its dirty or still very new and tight. Yes the cartridge primers. If you pull the round out that failed to fire and compare it with casings that have been fired see if the pin is hitting too shallow.

(Lehigh County)

A weak load can prohibit from going into full battery, especially if its dirty or still very new and tight. Yes the cartridge primers. If you pull the round out that failed to fire and compare it with casings that have been fired see if the pin is hitting too shallow.
    I didn't check the loads. You said that you tried WWB ammo yourself and you didn't have any trouble with it. Also, this problem occurred with the first shot. Therefore, it wouldn't matter if the loads was weak or not.

(Lehigh County)

I didn't check the loads. You said that you tried WWB ammo yourself and you didn't have any trouble with it. Also, this problem occurred with the first shot. Therefore, it wouldn't matter if the loads was weak or not.
    I need to add more to that. On 2 occasions, it was with the first shot being fired. If I recall correctly, it also happened with the 4th or 5th in one of the magazines.

(Allegheny County)

It shouldn't, but after thinking long and hard I did recall a time where I had run a lot of rounds in one day and I had 1 that didnt go into complete battery, I was running it fast so I didn't think about it and slaped it closed with my palm. I haven't had that happen again but just make sure he cleans and lubes it well. If its new maybe the recoil spring need to break in a bit, but there are probably better folks on this forum to answer that question.

(Lehigh County)

It shouldn't, but after thinking long and hard I did recall a time where I had run a lot of rounds in one day and I had 1 that didnt go into complete battery, I was running it fast so I didn't think about it and slaped it closed with my palm. I haven't had that happen again but just make sure he cleans and lubes it well. If its new maybe the recoil spring need to break in a bit, but there are probably better folks on this forum to answer that question.
    I'm pretty sure that he said it was fairly new.

(Lehigh County)

yeah ive never had a problem with mine... it loves the winchester 115's in the white box... i went through about 200 of um to break it in and get the feel of it the first day i bought it.... too it home cleaned it and did the same the next day.... i cant find any ammo that it dowsnt like... from the 115's to the 147's it ate them all...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast