Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default ‘Emergency’ Declared for Inauguration

‘Emergency’ Declared for Inauguration

WASHINGTON — It is true, President Bush sounded alarms about Barack Obama during the campaign season. On Tuesday, Mr. Bush went one step further: He declared Mr. Obama’s inauguration an actual emergency.

The declaration, though, was not a political statement about Republicans being run out of town. Rather, it was a bureaucratic move intended to provide additional federal money to help Washington cope with the huge crowds that are expected to turn out for the ceremony next Tuesday that will make Mr. Obama the nation’s first black president.

The government has set aside $15 million to help pay for security and medical personnel. But Mayor Adrian M. Fenty asked for more money, citing possible crowds of 1.5 million to 2 million and “the associated stresses that it would place on the city’s capabilities, particularly the medical community,” said Scott Stanzel, a spokesman for Mr. Bush.

Mr. Bush granted the request as “a precaution,” Mr. Stanzel said; if Washington needs the money, it can apply for reimbursement through the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The declaration will also allow federal public health workers to join in the public safety effort.

The president’s power to declare a state of emergency is typically used after natural disasters, although Mr. Stanzel said presidents had occasionally declared emergencies before an anticipated event. But never before, he said, has an advance declaration been used for a “non-disaster.”
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

Default Re: ‘Emergency’ Declared for Inauguration

mETHINKS tHEY KNOW SOMETHIN WE DON'T.....

(Montgomery County)

Actually I find this declaration appropriate because this inauguration is indeed a disaster.

And really, do you think the people willing to be at the feet of the Messiah are going to just hop on their cars and go home without some mess happening?

(Chester County)

I heard on the radio today that Obama is spending $150 million on his inaguration ball. Didn't Bush get ripped for spending $40 million a few years back?

I wonder how many kids could receive health care for that $150 million.... etc. Obama has spared no expense in his campaign at all.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I heard on the radio today that Obama is spending $150 million on his inaguration ball. Didn't Bush get ripped for spending $40 million a few years back?

I wonder how many kids could receive health care for that $150 million.... etc. Obama has spared no expense in his campaign at all.
    Easy to do when it ain't your money....
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

I heard on the radio today that Obama is spending $150 million on his inaguration ball............................
    Now, now........historically all Coronations have been expensive - why should this one be any different.

Oh......you said inauguration................

(Centre County)

I heard on the radio today that Obama is spending $150 million on his inaguration ball.
    He should call Monica and have her hold his inaugural balls for free.

Sjohn26, that cartoon you posted is quite appropriate. I deliver to DC twice a week, as a matter of fact, I should be leaving for work instead of bsing here. It is a friggin nightmare down there. Cops everywhere, jersey barriers, k9's, security checkpoints etc.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Lebanon County)

Sounds like when I work in Manhattan, right on Wall Street every couple of months. Holy crap. The blockade crew initially checks you out, lets you pass. The road then opens up like a drawbridge, the K-9s come out and sniff your car, the officers in BDUs use the bomb mirrors under your vehicle, check your cargo (and I go in with a ton of crap so it takes forever), then when you finally get the go-ahead, you pull up twenty feet and go thru the entire process a second time with a new crew. Interesting thing is, they don't check any pedestrian at all, and I've seen some huge duffel bags going in there on foot.

You certainly lose all preconceptions about liberty of travel in that situation, and the intimidation factor certainly makes one think that if confrontation occurs in the future, it's going to take some serious mental prep that what you do is totally right and necessary.
    "In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.
    You dig." -Clint Eastwood

(Allegheny County)

The people who protested Bush's inauguration are the same one's celebrating odama's.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final