Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default if there is a weapons ban....

I'm curious because I do own an "ak". if there was an assault weapon ban of some degree would my saiga that is converted according to 922r be grandfathered in? how do I prove that I've owned my weapon? I just hang on to all my paperwork or is there a database out there that has all registered owners of "evil weapons"?

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: if there is a weapons ban....

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyx28 View Post
    I'm curious because I do own an "ak". if there was an assault weapon ban of some degree would my saiga that is converted according to 922r be grandfathered in? how do I prove that I've owned my weapon? I just hang on to all my paperwork or is there a database out there that has all registered owners of "evil weapons"?

There isn't an Assault Weapon Ban in PA.

If by chance the US Government or PA enacts another ban, who knows if a presently legal 922r converted gun will be legal afterwards. Text of law can make a presently owned gun illegal to possess - just look at the NFA. Even more recently look at the "Streetsweeper" shotgun. It was a legal Title I firearm, then it turned into a Title II NFA Destructive Device that required NFA registration. Odds are though that you would be allowed to retain a gun that falls under a new assault weapon ban, but it is possible that you could have to do some paperwork.

There is no registration in PA. There is a "database" of transfers of "firearms" in PA that is often used as a registration. But a "firearm" is defined as a handgun with a barrel less than 15", a rifle with a barrel less than 16", and shotgun with a barrel less than 18", and a rifle or shotgun with an overall length less than 26".

The federal 4473 forms that you fill out at the dealer stay with the dealer. He has to keep them for 20years. After 20years he can dispose of them. Should he go out of business then he has to ship the form that are less than 20 years old to the ATF.

If you've converted a semi-auto with 922r compliant parts - it's probably best to keep the paperwork for those parts. It could help prove that you converted the gun prior to a ban taking place.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

thanks for the info, hopefully it'll never come down to it. ::fingers crossed:: I do have all my paperwork for everything I put into it, everything is stamped "made in USA" as well.

(Bucks County)

What guns? Don't you recall we had that horrible boat capsizing event at the last Pafoa group shoot out on the open ocean off New Jersey? We were lucky to save a couple hunting knives. You must have been too drunk to recall that day.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    What guns? Don't you recall we had that horrible boat capsizing event at the last Pafoa group shoot out on the open ocean off New Jersey? We were lucky to save a couple hunting knives. You must have been too drunk to recall that day.
    I dunno. My hunting knife was confiscated by PPD without any receipt. Can I suggest to search PPD officers' houses?

Je suis déplorable

(Lackawanna County)

lol, I'm lost....

(Northumberland County)

huh? what assault weapons?

(Montgomery County)

All my firearms were already picked up by Officer (insert name of any officer enforcing any ban).

(Monroe County)

"an armed population is totally inconsistent with a Police state" - Dr. Paul Craig Roberts

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There isn't an Assault Weapon Ban in PA.

If by chance the US Government or PA enacts another ban, who knows if a presently legal 922r converted gun will be legal afterwards. Text of law can make a presently owned gun illegal to possess - just look at the NFA. Even more recently look at the "Streetsweeper" shotgun. It was a legal Title I firearm, then it turned into a Title II NFA Destructive Device that required NFA registration.
    Doesn't have a stock, so probable reason to relist as destructive weapon, since bore is > 1/2''

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There is no registration in PA. There is a "database" of transfers of "firearms" in PA that is often used as a registration.
    Transfers are to be deleted after 72 hours, if I read the statute correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.