Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Ever have such a bad day at the range ...

That you wonder why you ever bothered getting into shooting in the first place? The last two times I've gone shooting now I was coming home wondering why I wasted my time. Last time I had a few pieces of gear fail on me, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and this most recent time more of the same. To give you an indication of just how bad today was; I brought three guns, fired 7 shots out of my 870, packed up and went home. I didn't even shoot my 930 or my PT92. I didn't leave stomping my feet or throwing a tantrum, I just realized I didn't have it today and left.

What would be going through your mind in this scenario?

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Ever have such a bad day at the range ...

I would be analyzing what I did wrong/what caused the equipment malfunctions.Then if it was equipment do the necessary repairs.

If the problem was me,spend time dry firing,or making the necessary changes needed to hopefully have a successful trip next time out.

We all have bad range days and equipment problems occaisonally,don't let it get you down.At least you made it to the range.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Northampton County)

I too would look to why. Sure, you could just be having a bad day, but you could also have knocked your sights out of whack or that new lot of ammo could have slightly different characteristics from the set you used to sight in last time.

Shooting is, mercifully, mechanical. It's all about physics. How you feel about where the sights were lined up and the nature of the powder burn doesn't matter. It's all about the physical properties of the pieces.

Reloading can manage some of that, but the largest part is do you have the sights aligned properly.

We all have bad days. We all have fliers and we all have days where we aren't in 'the zone.' It happens. Just know that it was likely all in your head and next time, you CAN get the sights to align properly.

(Clarion County)

Not in three decades , stop , breath , relax and keep shooting or get training.

(Northampton County)

I have bad days at the range, it happens.

A lot of my ancillary range gear (not carry gear) has been crapping out laterly because I don't check it enough. For me, I need to dry fire and make sure I don't try to squeeze too much into a range session in too short of a time. If it gets complicated and I get stressed out by my gear and such it's not as fun.

(Lancaster County)

It happens. I usually take a break. Smoke a cig ( yeah I know ), have a drink of water, tea whatever and relax. I'm never really happy with my shooting and always want to do better. But, it's fun and no matter what I enjoy it. I've got a long way to go to get back to what I could do 15 years ago. Hell just being outside and walking and being able to do it is reason to be happy. Two years ago I could barely walk and was always in pain.
    I went off on a tangent sorry
    Relax, have fun and enjoy man. Always next time to be awesome

(Allegheny County)

Yep I have bad range days but they are still much better than any good day I have working.

(Allegheny County)

Get a range buddy to go with ya. Can help cheer ya up, drum up some interesting conversation, get a new insight into what's happening and just be more fun...

I should take my own advice...

(Berks County)

despite the fact that i'm new to pistols, i was shooting my sig pro on friday and even though i was doing terrible, i kept shooting for the hell of it, i figure i just need to get further acquainted with my pistol. i think i wasnt looking down the sights properly but with more practice i'm sure i'll do better. maybe just take a few breaths and try again, if all else fails just wait it out until you feel confident.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Yep I have bad range days but they are still much better than any good day I have working.

Amen brother!

If I am having a shitty day and start to get pissed I usually pack up my stuff and step off the line. Last few times I pulled apart the offending firearm gave it a good cleaning and went back up to the line with my problem solved. I always keep my guns clean, but sometimes they need some extra love and I need a few minutes away.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast