Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default What are the essential qualities of your favorite gun?

Since you are a member of PAFOA like me you probably own several firearms. Out of all the handguns, rifles, and shotguns you own I am sure there is a favorite. I have under a dozen guns in my collection. A close friend has 63. Likely some of you have more.

I am curious as to the qualities that lead you to decide on a favorite. Is your choice based on sentimentality, i.e., your dad gave it to you, gift from a GF, or it being rare and an antique? Or, is your choice based on value and functionality?

I will admit that my favorite in handgun selection has changed over time. I have gone from large capacity full sized semi autos to revolvers to pocket pistols. But in the rifle arena my choice has not wavered. My wife says I am a brand name snob. Maybe so, but I love SAKOs, particularly their lightweight guns.

As far as finish, if I could every gun would be in SS. But that is not too practical when choosing milsurp.

And I strongly prefer the middle calibers. My favorite guns is the SAKO Finnlight in 6.5x55. It is lightweight, accurate in a straight line for almost 300 yards, very dependable, and this one was, in fact, a gift from a friend.

My little .380 is close second. (Well, not that close) Why? Because I carry with me every day. As well as being the most practical of my gun tools it is a constant reminder of my life-long interest in shooting. It is like that little multi tool that you might have hanging around in a drawer that you can use to fix the microwave or pull a nail out of 2x4.

What are the essential qualities of your favorite gun?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: What are the essential qualities of your favorite gun?

First and foremost is the looks. Then comes how it feels in my hand and how it handles. Reliability and function are of course a given. I had a PPK that I absolutely adored but it jammed all the time. It is gone now. The choice of caliber is secondary. They'll all work; 9, 380, 40, 45. What makes a gun good looking to me? In handguns, it must be made of steel and have some heft. That's why you will never see me holding a Glock or thousands of lookalikes. Never liked the compacts with short grip. In rifles and shotguns, blued with wood stock, preferably American walnut in high gloss. No synthetic or camouflage.

I like all of mine, but I guess my favorite would be the one that is with me most of the time, my Glock 23.

The rest speaks for itself I guess. It is accurate, utterly reliable, size efficient (14 rounds of .40 in a compact isn't shabby), easily carried and controllable, and as duarble as they come. I know it will always work if I need it.

And IMO, Glocks are some of the best looking pistols, mean, and all business. There is something to be said for the beauty of utility and simplicity.

(Chester County)

That it fires every time the trigger is pulled. If it does not the gun is useless.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Westmoreland County)

For rifles it's accuracy first. Followed by caliber because of purpose. I love the 6.5x55 Swede as it will take just about anything that I want to hunt. Following that in a rifle I love the 45-70. Again, accuracy (even tho it's a limited 300 yard rifle) is key deer drop right now when hit broadside with a 405gr. lead bullet.

Handguns for hunting, nothing beats a 44 magnum and for me, I love the Smith's because they naturally fit my hand.

For auto's I like the Ultra Kimbers in 45 because they are accurate, easy to carry, easy to shoot. Small lightweight 45's don't have the recoil that a 6"+ full load 44 magnum does. I compare all handgun loads to the 44.

They all have to go bang when you pull the trigger. Savage, Smith and Kimber have never let me down.

Dave

(Mercer County)

Looks come in at a very distant last in order of importance. Reliability is the ultimate factor.

My favorite? I shoot 1911s better than any other handgun, and ARs better than any other semiautomatic rifle.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Bucks County)

I love all my children equally. I can't say that I have one favorite but I do enjoy some more than others.

(Delaware County)

When my booger hook fondles the bang switch, I expect there to appear a hole - no less than .45 inches in diameter - where I have the sights pointed. When that happens every time, the rest is just details.

(Beaver County)

My favorite gun is my Mossberg 930 SPX. It's ergonomic, reliable with any type of ammunition from 1 oz. target loads up to 3" slugs, great sights, the controls are positioned perfectly and it shoots soft with the gas-operated action despite crushing whatever is on the business end of the muzzle. It also helps that since it's a semi auto, I can hold at a constant point and maintain my point of aim and be faster and more accurate than with a pump shotgun.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    That it fires every time the trigger is pulled. If it does not the gun is useless.
    Bingo, we have a winner!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast