Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun safes

(Perry County)

Default Gun safes

Any recommendations for a good gun safe in the $500 or less range? I know its not much but I realy can't afford to spend more than that.

I guess maybe I should look into a cabinet for now since that would be less money. I'd need something that can hold 6 pistols, and at least 5 rifles. Obviously room for more would be great as well.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; August 2nd, 2007 at 09:22 PM.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Gun safes

never seen anything that cheep. but if you save up a little more you should find something that will work well for you.

(Bucks County)

Sentry makes gun safes pretty cheap.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...30660805102498

I got one of those at Home Depot a few months back, works quite nicely.

oh it's not pictured, but there's also a web-netting on the inside of the door too for pistols.
    Last edited by thirtyonebravo; August 2nd, 2007 at 11:35 PM. Reason: add: pistol netting

(Philadelphia County)

Call around - you may be able to find one for that price. I got a used rifle box from West Philadelphia Locksmith for $250...but I have to admit that they were moving and they were dumping inventory (imagine trying to move a store full of safes over a weekend......). Normal price was $600 - so be prepared to pay more than you are thinking. Gun shows are sometimes a great place to look. Just watch out for price hikes.

My recommendation is more about the lock - spend the money and get a digital lock. this lets you have ready access to your toys ICOE, but you can keep the door locked. I have a classic safe dial on mine and so I keep the door unlocked while at home, JIC they come to get me This can lead to silly things such as leaving my safe unlocked all day, at which point it is a $250 steel cabinet, and not a safe.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLungMcClung View Post
    My recommendation is more about the lock - spend the money and get a digital lock. this lets you have ready access to your toys ICOE, but you can keep the door locked. I have a classic safe dial on mine and so I keep the door unlocked while at home, JIC they come to get me This can lead to silly things such as leaving my safe unlocked all day, at which point it is a $250 steel cabinet, and not a safe.
    The digital lock on my safe actually failed. It's just one more thing to break. I have no problem with slow access to the safe since i carry on my person at home.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    The digital lock on my safe actually failed. It's just one more thing to break. I have no problem with slow access to the safe since i carry on my person at home.
    It BROKE?!?! Well now that sux. Ok, take that advice, too WWGunslinger I will say that the dials, unless you are beating on your safe with a slegdehammer, will probably outlast you.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Philadelphia County)

Talking Re: Gun safes

I bet that Ikea doesn't even know that they make gun cabinets!

Mine's from there:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40087529

Just a cabinet, not a safe, but that was always good enough for my dad - the lock goes on the gun.

(Lancaster County)

Do not buy a Chapion Gun Safe.
    They are now made iin Mexico after this fiasco.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600105727,00.html
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

(Delaware County)

Home Depot and Lowes both are carrying Sentry gun safes. Not all store carry. For example only 1 of 4 Home Depots in my general area carry them. I paid something like $369 for a Sentry gun safe at HD 4 weeks ago. I would have love to have bought one of the nice large safes from Cabela's but I just could not spend $900+ dollars for a safe.

IMO these safes will certainly deter theft but will not save the contents should my home burn to the ground. I have home owners insurance that will replace the contents including my firearms. I do not have a collection of rare firearms or anything historic. I estimate my loaded safe now weights neanly 500lbs so no one is going to just run off with it. Some day maybe I'll be able to spring for one of the REAL nice safes that I admire at Cabela's.

This gun safe for under $400 allows me to keep my firearms safe from my young children and any friends who might be in our home which is obviously of critical importance.

My oldest son really liked it so he is getting one as a gift next month for a special occasion. Of course he doesn't know that yet.

One final word. Barrow a solid dolly and bring a strong friend. Gook luck with thehunt for a safe.

I have to recomend a jobsite type storage box. I use one in the truck for tools and one in the house for some guns. I worked in construction for a while and have bought and lost a lot of boxes. By far the knack boxes are the strongest. As long as the anchored down in our case usually chained to the building steel they will take a hell of a beating. Unless you come prepared with a torch or cut of saw your not getting in with a crow bar. Example below. Stay away from the home depot cheapo's.
    http://www.knaackbox.com/main_invent...aack_boxes.htm
    Last edited by never_retreat; August 5th, 2007 at 10:06 PM.

Be very afraid of a man with only one gun.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
    911 - government sponsored Dial-a-Prayer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast