Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Weekend Getaway Recomendations

So I'm wanting to take a weekend away with the lady. Looking at staying in PA, couple of hours away from Philly; sometime in August.

She gets on the net, and finds all these real cute bed & breakfast places. She says.. "uuhh.. this one has the cute little curtains..". "this one has a real nice lounge area"..ect ect..

what I'm thinking is... well, the place looks nice, but other than sleep and eat breakfast, we are not gonna spend too much on it.

So I'm getting on the net, and trying to find a place that has things to do, and THEN find a "cute" place to stay nearby.

I'm not into walking malls, general shopping and the like. Looking to not spend a fortune while I'm at it..

so whats the great combined minds of the PAFOA recommend??

So far I'm looking at Harrisburgh, there's some sort of renaissance fair that doesn't look too lame, as well as museums, nice hiking parks, boating and all that jazz.

Anyone go away for a weekend with the lady and had a blast? Any places you can recommend? Things too see & do??
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Weekend Getaway Recomendations

Check this site out. There is a gun range listed.

http://www.800poconos.com/?iq_id=5597585
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Elk County)

When my wife and I want to get away, we spend a weekend or three days in Manhattan twice a year, stay at the Omni Berkshire on East 52nd and Madison, take in a couple Broadway plays, have dinner at Carmine's, Rosie O'Grady's, Ted's Montana Steakhouse, or any number of other great restaurants. This past May we saw "Grease" and "Young Frankenstein" and had a blast; celebrated our 30th anniversary at the same time.

Noah

(Lebanon County)

If you want to go to a renaissance fair then just go to THE renaissance fair....on route 72. <----if you do this let me know....I am 15 minutes away and we should hook up and go shoot...not at the faire of course. LOL!

You might also check out some places to stay in Gettysburg. The husband and I...when we were on better terms...spent a nice weekend there once. I got us a lovely suite that was like a 1 bedroom apt. Yes, it was a bit lavish but you know, jacuzzi and all that. It was worth it. It had a nice balcony that overlooked the battlefields and since he had never been there before that was what we did...toured all over the battlefields. I DO NOT reccommend the ghost tours though. They are TERRIBLY LAME! JMO.

(Chester County)

IMHO, the Ren. Faire is one of PAs must sees, and there's plenty to do close by to fill a weekend. It may be a love it or hate kind of entertainment, but for me it's the right mix of corniness and authenticity to keep me smiling all day, but hey, maybe having buxomy wenches flirting with you isn't for everyone. If you do go, be sure to catch the hypnotist show, I was always a non-believer, but after that show and what I saw people do, I am thoroughly convinced that it can be done. Anyone that's seen the show knows what I mean.

Long ago I've stopped going to hotels and started staying at B&Bs. It's always a crap shoot whether it's nice or a dump, but as you said, you'll be spending minimum time there. They'll put their best room on the internet, but most of the times each room is different, so what you see may not be what you get. What I like about them is that the time you are there, you can hang in the living room and meet other guests and see if they have any recommendations about what to do in the area. If you've never stayed at one you really have to go in with an open mind because typically they are not anything like a hotel, including some have guest rooms that share a common bathroom and shower. If you walk in expecting The Ritz, you're in for a big surprise, but not necessarily a big disappointment.

The Ren. Faire is also a quick drive to Amish country where it can be fun to take a couple tours, a farm, horse and buggy, train, etc. and learn a little about the Amish culture. It's a great educational experience even for adults and helps dispell a lot of myths about their traditions and beliefs. If the lady won't last the weekend without at least one shopping trip, there's a great little outdoor shopping plaza called Kitchen Kettle Village (www.kitchenKettle.com) in Intercourse that has a little something for everyone, and usually some sort of band performing outdoors on the plaza. While the women folk ooh and aah over the quilts and handbags, the men peruse the leather shop and smokehouse. Most of the shops are tourist traps and a bit pricey, but you might find a nice gun belt or hat that's worth it.

Overall, it's not a thrill a minute weekend getaway, but it's also not a vacation where you'll come home and need another day or two to recuperate.
    Last edited by str8shooter; July 8th, 2008 at 04:10 PM.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Westmoreland County)

Diego

www.woodwardcrossings.com

Beautiful area. It's where I grew up. PM me for any questions or details and yes, my web-design sucks.

At any rate. It's a gorgeous area and my folks are super nice. They'll take care of you and they have excellent feedback. You won't be disappointed. I promise!

ETA: They have a nice pond, too. It's catch and release. A lot of acreage and a state forest very close by. It really depends on what you get into. If hiking and picnicing is your bag, then it's perfect. You may even be able to get some inner tubes and go down the creek.

Again, feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
    Last edited by D-FENS; July 8th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    other than sleep and eat breakfast, we are not gonna spend too much on it.
    ummm...i think you might be missing the whole point of the "weekend getaway"

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    So I'm wanting to take a weekend away with the lady. Looking at staying in PA, couple of hours away from Philly; sometime in August.
    If you consider leaving PA, look into the Baltimore marina area. Just a little longer driving time from DelCo as H'burg, but the food and the nightlife is great. Of course, you may need to stop and rob a few banks on the way, cuz nothings gonna be cheap. And, of course, you have to check your guns at the border.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Montgomery County)

A lot of good ideas here. I was just thinking about posting something similar. Was thinking about taking the gf someplace nice for a long weekend at the end of the summer. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

(Cumberland County)

One more vote for the PA Ren Faire - $30 for 12 hours of music and shows can't really beat that. Food/soda can get pricy but you can find food that is worth it. They also have good (but pricey) beer/wine. Good music, great shows and as has been mentioned lovely women in corsets. (Stop by the "Mayfaire Moon" booth across from the lighthouse) to put your lady in a corset. Finding a place to stay opening weekend will probably be harder as places fill up early. 2nd or 3rd weekends would be easier and I would also suggest staying over friday night to avoid the turnpike traffic.

Being that close you can also hit Hershey Park or the Amish country.

Have fun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast