Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Bucks in velvet!!!

I've been tiling the bathroom, and went out back to wash out my bucket and tools, and I scared 2 bucks. The first looked like he was maybe a 4, but the 2nd, wow! I didn't get a chance to count them, and can only guess since he was moving pretty fast, but it was maybe 8 (I might be adding imaginary points). Both had velvet, which I've never seen except on tv. Both racks were pretty small too, i guess they're still growing. All in all pretty exciting for me.

I'm seriously considering archery hunting this year. The wife is preggo and due on Nov 20th, so it's not likely i'll get a pass to deer camp, not that I'd want to leave for a whole weekend+ that soon anyway. If I can make it happen, behind my house would be perfect.

I don't have the money for a new bow (I've got too many guns to buy). If I do, I'll get the old Bear II tuned up and a new string for it. I got it for free from my neighbor last year, he was throwing it away . I need to get arrows for it and start practicing. I did get a couple aluminum arrows and had a cardboard box setup for a target last year - surprisingly, I'm pretty good.

Can anybody recommend a good, economy arrow rest. I don't trust that little rubber strip off the side. It's ok for shooting at my box, but not when I'm risking wounding an animal.

How much will it cost me to get it tuned and get arrows for it?

Thanks,

Default Re: Bucks in velvet!!!

The arrow rests that I use are called Turkey Biscuits (almost positive) and you can get a full biscuit or 3/4 biscuit. Its basically a circlular bunch of bristles that your arrow rests in. For the full, the arrow needs to be pushed through starting from the tip and then nocked, it can't come out of the biscuit at all. The 3/4 biscuit allows you to noc an arrow and then the arrow can be put into the biscuit since part of the biscuit is open. I think those are the most recent and best arrow rests, and I love mine (full biscuit).
    You should check out the local archery dealer and see what they can do for you, the quiver will cost approx. $30 and if you need arrows they can go from $20 on up for a half dozen or a dozen depending on the quality. For better accuracy, you should check into a release instead of using your fingers, and peep sights fitted into your string help in accuracy as well as noc points that will ensure that you are always holding the bow the same way.
    I'm sure I am very confusing here.... in short - go and talk to your local archery shop and they will hook you up. I'm guessing in the range from $50-100 for rest, release, string, peep and all other tune ups. Arrows will make it a little more. Feel free to PM me if you need me to clarify anything! Hope I helped!

Edit - forgot to mention that I've been watching some bucks across from my girlfriends house develop over the past few months. There are a few spikes, a 4, 6 and 8 point all still in velvet. The 6 and 8 pointers are huge racks, wish I had permission to hunt over there....

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Allegheny County)

wow, cheaper than I thought. I can save $20, it came with a quiver. I think maybe just some new foam should do it.
    Thanks for the advice

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    I've been tiling the bathroom, and went out back to wash out my bucket and tools, and I scared 2 bucks. The first looked like he was maybe a 4, but the 2nd, wow! I didn't get a chance to count them, and can only guess since he was moving pretty fast, but it was maybe 8 (I might be adding imaginary points). Both had velvet, which I've never seen except on tv. Both racks were pretty small too, i guess they're still growing. All in all pretty exciting for me.

I'm seriously considering archery hunting this year. The wife is preggo and due on Nov 20th, so it's not likely i'll get a pass to deer camp, not that I'd want to leave for a whole weekend+ that soon anyway. If I can make it happen, behind my house would be perfect.

I don't have the money for a new bow (I've got too many guns to buy). If I do, I'll get the old Bear II tuned up and a new string for it. I got it for free from my neighbor last year, he was throwing it away . I need to get arrows for it and start practicing. I did get a couple aluminum arrows and had a cardboard box setup for a target last year - surprisingly, I'm pretty good.

Can anybody recommend a good, economy arrow rest. I don't trust that little rubber strip off the side. It's ok for shooting at my box, but not when I'm risking wounding an animal.

How much will it cost me to get it tuned and get arrows for it?

Thanks,
    Another tiling job huh? I'm doing my basement.

I have a Whitetail hunter still hanging on the garage wall (50% letoff IIRC).

About 10 years ago I went with a Golden Eagle Evolution and did pretty good with both bows. I had to decrease the draw weight of the Evolution down to about 62 lbs because of Rotator problems and didn't archery hunt at all the last 2 years. I miss it and it was always the best season.

If i get permission from the new landowner next to my property, I may give it another shot this year.

I can remember shooting that Whitetail hunter the evening before the first day of archery. The little arrow rest tab broke off probably on the last practice shot i took. I went into the woods in the dark, climbed my tree,got all set up, hung the bow off a cut branch and tried to noc an arrow but it wouldn't stay up. Then I noticed the tab missing (Crapola). I just stayed figuring maybe not to see anything anyway.
    8AM I see two 6 points and and thinking MF'rs. One beds down about 25yds out. The other is meandering about feeding and was 17 yds but it was the smaller buck. i pulled the bow back and tried to get the arrow shaft into the worn groove at the position the rest was and let fly.
    I hit the deer a bit high on the back(quartered away) and bitched at myself for even taking the shot.

I waited about 10 minutes, gathered my stuff and lowered it to the ground.
    I climbed down and found the deer about 50 yds away. I got lucky.

That was the first time i ever got one on the first day. I have never waited for a wallhanger.

So yes long story, change out the arrow rest.

Good luck. I haven't seen anything in velvet this year yet but have been busy with Hunnydo.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Good story. BTW, check out my new sig. Thanks for putting the link in your sig 27hand.
    Last edited by ham385; July 6th, 2008 at 10:57 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    Good story. BTW, check out my new sig. Thanks for putting the link in your sig 27hand.
    Thanks for serving. Glad you got the link.

Another short story. (We hunters are full of----- them .

Regarding your wifes condition and the proximity of the blessed event in relation to the first day of deer season.

My kiddos are 28 and 30 so this happened about 25 years ago.

My wife has an emergency appendectomy (sp) 2 days before the first day of rifle season. I blow off going to Tionesta with my buddy and watch the kids so she can take it easy. Tuesday after noon (3pm'ish) she is saying she feels a lot better. I ask (notice, i said ask) if she would mind if i go up into the woods till dark (2 1/2 hrs). She says OK.

Now I don't have a slug gun but I have two 20 Ga rabbit guns in pump and I had 2 boxes of 20 ga slugs. I never shot a slug out of these SG's ever.

So I hurry to get up into the woods and forget my hot seat.

I sit in an area I archery hunted and see another guy not far away so I trudge up to the top of the hill and post along a fence line.

The other hunter kicks up a good sized 6 point and it runs up about 35 yds to my left. Having never fired a slug out of this Savage model 30 pumpgun, i pull up, put the front bead on the buck who just spots me as i do this and pump out 2 rounds. Buck runs away. I am not surprised.

I go to where he crossed the fenceline and it looks like someone took a quart of blood and threw it into the snow.
    Tracking is now no problem but I probably went about 400 yds down and back toward my peekup. That buck was into some really thick stuff so i was really close when he jumped. I hit him in the neck at about 10 or 15 yds (wasn't the aim point if you can believe that ) and he went down for good.

My wife actually heard the shots and said she knew it was me.

The rack was really beat up with a couple broken tines but that was my trophy that year.

Good luck with your upcoming new deerhunter and getting out sometime soon after to try for a deer.

27deerhuntstoriesaboundhand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    The arrow rests that I use are called Turkey Biscuits (almost positive) ....

They are called "Whisker Biscuits" not turkey biscuits. This rest system is the cats meow.

You can pick up a lot of good, used archery equipment on flebay.

hahhaa, at least I got the biscuits part right! lol thanks for fixing my mistake!

They're just like small children, Its an EGO thing, " well if I can't have it this way, then I want it this way"..WAAAAAH - BrownBear (speaking of liberals)

(Allegheny County)

A couple weeks ago the dog and I jumped a buck in velvet behind the haus. It had brow tines and the main beam was starting to "Y" so it will atleast be a six point. I keep taking the camera now but haven't seen it since.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Bucks County)

if its the compound bear with the crazy little wheels and crisscrossed strings thats like 30 yrs old or something you might want to have the limbs checked out. a buddy of mine decided to get his outta the closet and the limbs ended up shattering, not badly but coulda been worse! oh and good luck with parts. any accessories will fit but no more original parts. and yes the WISKER BISQUIT does kick ass!! (3/4)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast