Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safes

(Chester County)

Default Gun Safes

Anyone know a good place to pick up a gunsafe in SE PA or the surrounding area, Delaware?

I saw this one at Dick's Sporting Goods http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2033185
    Is this one any good? It looked like it would suit my needs (detering theft, storing my firearms securely while I am away at school, and most importantly housing my SBR which hopefully will be built by the end of summer)

If that isn't a practical safe, anyone have suggestions?
    I saw this one
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2630216
    at French Creek Outfitters for about $760 i think.

If anyone could give me advice, direction, or any help it would be appreciated. Thanks.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Gun Safes

I hope you get some advice. I put the same question in the question and answer category before I saw this post although I don't shoot anything like a shotgun or a rifle so I don't need anything that tall.

(Delaware County)

Targetmaster has lots of safes.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post
    Anyone know a good place to pick up a gunsafe in SE PA or the surrounding area, Delaware?

I saw this one at Dick's Sporting Goods http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2033185
    Is this one any good? It looked like it would suit my needs (detering theft, storing my firearms securely while I am away at school, and most importantly housing my SBR which hopefully will be built by the end of summer)

I saw this one

If anyone could give me advice, direction, or any help it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can't say how the safes youv'e pointed out are because I have liberty safes.

I can however advise you to get one that is a few sizes bigger than you think you will need. They tend to get full quick .
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Delaware County)

I have a Dac Sportsafe, it says it holds two hand guns I keep four in mine. I got it from wallyworld for about $64 but their website lists it out of stock. It can be mounted and can double as a carry case for the car.

The DAC SportSafe is a portable, quick access safe that is perfect for protecting firearms, jewelry and other valuables. The electronic keypad allows you to program your own 3-digit to 6-digit access code. Approved by the California Deptartment of Justice for use as a firearm safety device.

Quick-access electronic keypad
    Keys included for backup or bypass
    Large-capacity safe holds 2 guns and valuables
    Includes an interior light
    Mounting bracket and hardware are included to secure the safe anywhere you want
    Order forms are included to order additional mounting brackets
    Batteries included

Features: Large-capacity safe holds 2 guns and valuables
    Key Features: Quick-access electronic keypad
    Shipping Weight (in pounds): 18.1
    Product in Inches (L x W x H): 12.0 x 8.88 x 7.25
    Bill

(Lebanon County)

Thank you soberbyker. I saw those and the review and was not entirely sure about them....

SuperMoose I hope you do not mind, I am going to add my original post here as well in hopes that if anyone can help me out as well they know what I am looking for....

Ok, we already have a gun cabinet and then we each have our own safe BUT I want to buy another one because the one I have personally is not really ideal. I was looking at something like this

but thought I would ask here to see what everyone else's experiences is have been with type of safe? I don't want to hassle with something like this if it's not going to read my fingerprints properly. Some of the features listed are

16-guage steel housing
    Foam lining inside
    Tamper-proof, spring-loaded door
    Battery power supply lasts 1 year under normal conditions
    Blinking low-battery light
    Mounting gear included
    Interior courtesy light
    Power connection jack for external AC or DC power supply (adapter included)
    Audio and LED low battery warning

but again, I'm open to whatever feedback or suggestions anyone has to offer because I know nothing about any of these. The safe I currently own is not a specified "gun safe" and it's kind of small. I do not have it mounted down anywhere so technically someone could just break in and steal the whole damn thing (of course if I'm not home I'd like to think that Grace would be with me). My husband's is not designed specifically for guns either but that is irrelevent to me because he will not share the combination with me which is fine. He keeps his duty weapons in there and I am not certified to use law enforcement OC spray or an expandable baton so I understand not allowing me access to those things (you know, because I'm a child and all and might not be able to refrain from trying them out on the kids or something...but really it's his ass on the line of I do so whatever....). Anyway, I don't care for the cabinet we have as I don't think it offers the most security and I don't want to be the one responsible for some criminal out there having a stolen firearm so....thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? TIA.

(Chester County)

Add away shefearsnothing, I'm headed down to targetmaster to shoot in an hour anyway and was going to ask my buddy there while I was shooting what he would recommend. I'm in college and don't have tons of money to play with as far as firearms and their accessories go, but I want something to keep my stuff secured while I'm away at school. I probably should have found a way to secure my firearms when I first bought them but it is the addition of a SBR that makes me nervous not having a safe.

(Westmoreland County)

I have one of those gun vaults that shefearsnothing listed and have been very happy with it. I have the larger delux model that comes with some novel ideas such as a usless dim light. Although overall I've been more then pleased with it solid construction, has an adapter as well as battery power. Will accept a few different codes too I believe. And easy as pie opening just by feel.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMoose View Post

I saw this one

With Browning you're paying for a paint job and the name, to be honest.

Before you consider buying a safe (really, in most cases, a Residential Security Container), I'd find out who hauls them for a few different retailers, and have them come out and advise you on what you can and can't manage to bring in by way of weight and volume. Because of our situation here, and where I wanted to install, I had to go with certain options. There's nothing worse than getting something in and finding out that it'll be within eyeball distance of the front or back door forever without some major carpentry work.

The best bang for the buck comes from Amsec. Going up a notch, I'd look at Graffunder.

Classic Pistol in Southampton gets Amsec RSCs in all the time. I don't know of a local Graffunder dealer, but there's a guy in Frederick, MD who sells them. He's easy to work with and does some pretty slick cross-border *COUGH* deals.

If you want one drop-shipped, these guys have a decent reputation for making tough, but butt-ugly safes: http://www.sturdysafe.com/ They aren't particularly gadgety, but they're built with thick, heavy steel, and the locking mechanism is supposedly tough to defeat.

Additionally, you'll find various other brands for sale at French Creek in Phoenixville, Target World up in Chalfont (their prices are stiff, though), and then there's always Cabela's in Hamburg. Last time I was in the Bargain Cave, they had a nice, smallish one in on a scratch and dent special, and the prices are always negotiable to get stuff out of there.

There are also modular (put it together yourself options) from Dakota (in OK), Zanotti Armor (sp.?) in IA, and City Safe in NJ. Dakotas go together with bolts and nuts, Zanottis with pins, and City Safe models with wads and wads of cash -- they're wildly expensive but the very, very best available, bar none.

If you aren't vainly proud, and you'd like to save some money, don't forget to ask and see if there are any scratch and dent specials available. Stuff gets banged up in transit and end users refuse to accept them all the time. Check out thehighroad.org, as there are at least two locksmith/safe dealers who post there (one of them), as well as two manufacturers.

(Berks County)

If you're looking for a larger floor safe, I picked this one up in December:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...w-lockbox.html
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast