Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting a dog?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Shooting a dog?

I was just reading this post from my "Northern Liberties" message board. Long story short, the owner of 2 pitt/rott mix attacked a woman's lab in my neighborhood today. My question is, if I was to see that happen, would I be allowed to shoot the dog/dog's to prevent any more harm coming to the citizens?

Here is the original post.

"Where should I begin. I am still shaking but need to share this bizarre story. Ok so I was on my way to this gig, and a lovely morning it was greeting people etc., while on the way until after a few feet from passing a lady with her Lab, and a guy with his two pits I suddenly found myself seconds later witnessing 3 dogs fused together fighting, and it was not nice. The Lab owner who just seconds ago was just walking her dog began screaming bloody murder asking for someone to please help. I turned around and could not believe what I saw. She was struggling to hold onto her Lab and could not hold onto her dog any longer and then fell to the ground. I ran towards her to help but hesitated because the other two dogs where pitbull/rottweiler mix of some sort. The owner of the pitbulls was trying to separate the dogs hand was bitten and terribly torn so therefore he could not do much and only had one free hand. The pitbull where wayyyy too strong. The lab just did not know what hit him or more like bit him. Anyhow it was truly a bloody mess. I don't know where it came from but crazy ass ask the onlookers to call the police and suddenly found myself grabbing what look like a mastiff or rottweiler pit mix. Whatever it was it was huge. The bottom line is the dog was incredibly large and muscular. I grab his thick chain collar (he had no leash perhaps it snapped during the fight)and then I help separate him from the others and was successful. Again, the owner of the pits only had one useful hand because the other was chewed by one of the pitbulls. How I intervened is still beyond me. I don't know where the strength came from but at the same time, during all of this...and while holding on to that dog's chain collar. I began to wonder how long it would be before that dog would realize that I am not his owner and turn on my petite self. Meanwhile I am mildly asking the onlookers (and trying not to stir the dog up or anger him) to call the police immediately and at the same time telling the giant dog to calm down its okay hoping to God it would not turn on me because the other pitbull still had part of the Lab face in his mouth. This was unbelievable and even more so because I found myself in the middle of all of this and could not ignore the cry for help by a neighbor who I really don't know but who i have seen often around here and there. Please check out for my suggestions for those dog owners who continue to keep their dogs off the leash and also ask tell them why they should keep them on a leash while taking a crap in the park. And lastly I want the people to know that it is important to purchase a dog that you can physically handle if ever the case. This morning that was not the case at all as it relates to the pitbull owner. He had two dogs and could not handle them once that one dog took off then the larger one followed and the larger dog had the strength of a bull. I am still in shock, amazed and still wheezing even after taking my asthma med. Please stay tuned on my suggestion on what really need to happen if you ever want to own a dog(s. Unbelievable morning!
    Email: Click here to Email

Last edited by JIDinPhilly; March 15th, 2009 at 09:03 PM.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Default Re: Shooting a dog?

Get ready for shitstorm.
    There are some here, who think killing any dog or cat is evil, and makes you a criminal...........

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JIDinPhilly View Post
    I was just reading this post from my "Northern Liberties" fmessage board. Long story short, the owner of 2 pitt/rott mix attacked a woman's lab in my neighborhood today. My question is, if I was to see that happen, would I be allowed to shoot the dog/dog's to prevent any more harm coming to the citizens?

I'm not "lawyering", but I've had to think about this before in the past. When I lived on Murray Ave., in Squirrel Hill, this is why we stopped going to the Frick Park off-leash area.

In PA, pets are treated as property with a monetary value. I know, I love my yellow lab too, but this is the case. It could get crazy, and mutual vandalism charges could fly if you hurt each other's dogs - and surely cruelty issues.

What would I do? I'd shoot the dog, whilst preparing myself for a very co$tly and probably media-infused-crazy court battle where no matter what happens your social status will be reduced.

(Blair County)

BANG, pitbull gravy anyone?
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Wayne County)

You can shoot a dog in Pa...but it has to be with good intention. If the dog is attacking you or your dog then you can shoot it but either way, you're going to have a lot of media. A warning shot should do the trick.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Allegheny County)

I started carrying pepper spray in addition to my handgun while walking my dog.
    I realized it's not going to be easy to get a well placed shot on an attacking dog, so I added the spray. It's good to have options.

As for the OP's question, I don't know how it would play out if you were to do it to prevent others from being hurt, I just know that if I have to prevent me or my dog being mauled, all bets are off. The dog will get whatever needs done to stop it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: Shooting a dog?

Is firing a "warning shot" even legal? I was with a group of friends hiking through the woods, when over a rise came two pitbulls..Neither of which were on a leash and we didn't see the owner(s), they were coming at us full speed...I pull my XD and aim at the closing dog, when I see the owners running and comanding the dogs to stop. Both dogs heeded the owners commands and I reholstered my weapon..they (the owners) made a comment about my gun..I retorted with leash laws and such..

No matter how I try to make these postings more readable they always seem to just run together causing eye strain..Can this be fixed?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher67 View Post
    Is firing a "warning shot" even legal? I was with a group of friends hiking through the woods, when over a rise came two pitbulls..Neither of which were on a leash and we didn't see the owner(s), they were coming at us full speed...I pull my XD and aim at the closing dog, when I see the owners running and comanding the dogs to stop. Both dogs heeded the owners commands and I reholstered my weapon..they (the owners) made a comment about my gun..I retorted with leash laws and such..

No matter how I try to make these postings more readable they always seem to just run together causing eye strain..Can this be fixed?
    Well, if it's your life then I guess it is. I'd rather fire a warning shot then have to kill a pooch. But we do what we have to. If a crazy dog is running towards you, the adrenaline will be pumping so hard that a warning shot won't even make the dog flinch.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Jefferson County)

This has been hashed over several times here. Its legal to shoot a dog that is attacking another person, pet, livestock and most game animals.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SFMarine View Post
    You can shoot a dog in Pa...but it has to be with good intention. If the dog is attacking you or your dog then you can shoot it but either way, you're going to have a lot of media. A warning shot should do the trick.
    The media doesn't like pitbulls that much.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast