Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Is this worth a single stage or progressive set up?

Plans are getting into IDPA, and if not, just generally training more often, ie weekly.

From what I heard on average alot of IDPA guys shoot well over 1,000 rounds a month? I'm going to be using 9mm since thats what I carry, so thats what I'll be reloading.

Since I've finally secured a good paying job, that gives me the fortunate position of having money to burn, I'll also be picking up an AR in 2 or 3 months and will then be reloading .223/5.56.

Then further down the line when tax time comes I'll be purchasing a bolt action rifle for long range, not sure on which caliber yet.

What would you guys recommend for someone looking to get into the reloading scene, having what I mentioned above in mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Centre County)

Default Re: Is it worth it>?

If you get into IDPA and will be shooting that much you will ultimately want to go with a progressive reloader. When I shot PPC I shot 700 to 100 rounds a week for practice and a match was another 320 rounds. Since I was shooting .38 specials, I got the Dillion Square Deal B and have been happy with it. Now, since I shoot a number of different calibers now, I am thinking of getting the Dillon RL550 for the majority of my reloading.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Default Re: Is this worth a single stage or progressive set up?

Howdy and welcome to the reloading world, I can tell you that starting out I would suggest you start on a single stage press and learn the fundamentals of loading on it before you move on to a progressive or turret, it will be easier for you to grasp how things work, and get yourself a few good manuals and read them to a point that you have a better understanding of your components, when you're ready to move up to a faster press you will be more than ready, the Single Stage Press is a must have for loaders and you won't be sorry you got it first, IMHO, IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO LOAD MATCH AMMO , the Single Stage will give you just that. I've had a RCBS Rock Chucker about 25 years now and still use it, I also have a Hornady LnL AP which is there progressive press, I use it for my most used handgun calibers, but it will load all rifle calibers too, most my rifle calibers are loaded on my Rock Chucker, Where I weigh each load, So my suggestion is to start out slow and work your way up, this way you won't be throwing any money away if you decide you don't want to reload.

Good Luck

Regards

tEN wOLVES
    NRA, SASS#69595,NCOWS#3123, RATTS#369,SCORRS

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

This question comes up weekly, and the best advice, gleaned from all the answers to this question still is:

"Buy two or three good manuals, most particularly, LYMAN, LEE, RCBS, and the book 'ABC's of Reloading', as your first step. Read them thoroughly, re-read them, and then consider your mission and the proposed solutions."

Flash

If this isn't on sticky, it should be.

(Jefferson County)

If you are going to be doing high volume reloading, you're going to end up with a progressive press. You can learn the fundamentals on one just fine, since most are equipped with case-activated powder loading and such, so you can reload one round at a time while learning.

But yea, the question does come up often.

It would probably take you a month to load 1k rds with a single stage press.

I can load about 200rds/hr with my turret press and it can also be used as a single stage by disengaging the indexing. I honestly think reloading is a big pain in the ass and I would rather spend hrs shooting than pulling a lever on my reloader and screwing with powder charges to get my gun to cycle correctly, but with ammo prices I have no choice. A progressive you can probably load 2 to 3x faster than a turret press but they aren't cheap. If I had the money I would buy the progressive, 2nd choice Turret press, 3rd choice buy factory ammo, 4th choice single stage press.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Susquehanna County)

Get your manuals first, read them then decide on equipment. Anything any of us will say will be tinged with our own prejudices and might not be right for you.

Reloading will reduce the cost of your practicing but you might consider using a cal. .22 conversion for your SSP/CDP/ESP gun(s) for most of your practice and use full caliber ammo for the practice immediately before the match. Similarly, a K-22 Masterpiece will replicate your K frame SSR.

I still don't see any good supply of primers becoming available, but I know case lots of .22 LR can be had.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    It would probably take you a month to load 1k rds with a single stage press.

I can load about 200rds/hr with my turret press and it can also be used as a single stage by disengaging the indexing. I honestly think reloading is a big pain in the ass and I would rather spend hrs shooting than pulling a lever on my reloader and screwing with powder charges to get my gun to cycle correctly, but with ammo prices I have no choice. A progressive you can probably load 2 to 3x faster than a turret press but they aren't cheap. If I had the money I would buy the progressive, 2nd choice Turret press, 3rd choice buy factory ammo, 4th choice single stage press.
    Yo, let's hope you are just exaggerating to avoid subtlety with that one.

I CAN load a thousand on my single-stage in an evening, and not too long an evening, at that. I've done it often enough, but now that I have found what a good deal my Loadmaster is - or, for that matter, ANY progressive press - - that is a thing of the past. (If you remain unconvinced, as Johnny, the fiddler, said to the Devil, "...let me show you how it's done!")

You're right, progressives are not "cheap" by any means, and if three-quarters of the posters on this board would not rather be right there on the range beside you shooting, I'll be surprised. But most of these folks who do reload in quantity have found ways to keep it from being a PITA. Just to put in a different perspective, a good progressive fully set up and ready to rock-n-roll in one caliber may cost you from two to four times the base cost of a naked Rockchucker press. Or as much as the current cost of a single case of 40 S&W or 45ACP, maybe less, depending on your choice.

Screwing with powder charges is, for most shooters who shoot one or two calibers in large amounts, not too common as they generally work out a small set of loads and standardize on them. Then they load those standard loads in LARGE amounts. The only time they again screw with it is if they change powders or bullet weights. And as strange as it may seem, there are really quite a few persons of devious and twisted perspective who actually ENJOY this bizarre activity. Come, join us, "......let (us) show you how it's done".

For instance, I have three STANDARD loads for 9mm 115 gr FMJ: with AccArms #5, Unique, and Titegroup. I'll next be working on Win 231, so that if powder availability or costs change, I've got workable alternatives.

Same for 124 gr cast lead truncated-cone bullets. Unique, AA#5, TG
    Also 357 Mag 158gr cast lead SWC, Unique, 2400.
    Also 357 Mag, 158 JWC (which I seldom shoot anymore)Unique, 2400
    Also 38 SPL, 158 gr CLSWC Bullseye, Unique
    Also 45ACP, 230 CLRN, Unique, BlueDot
    (Yes, I am a long-time Hercules -now Allliant- powder user.)

Flash,
    ..... who is often thoroughly fascinated by "...this bizarre activity."

(Lebanon County)

Dillon 550 would be an excellent choice. I would buy new, just because you know 100% that the press is has everything you need and a lower chance of having any issues being that you are new.