Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Way Radios

(Lehigh County)

Default 2 Way Radios

Anyone have a pair they like what brand is it? Looking to get a set and have no idea what to get.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: 2 Way Radios

I have a bunch of different Midland GMRS/FRS radios. They work great for me. Except the time I mowed over one, but that was not their fault

Be safe (and communicate).

Scott

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: 2 Way Radios

I like the Cobra models, I bought a pair about 8 years ago and liked them. Then when the longer 5 mile range came out I bought another brand...That was a mistake my little 2 mile Cobras still worked better than the new ones! I took them back and bought the upgraded Cobras, I have since upgraded twice both times it was the Cobra.
    I absolutley hated the Motorola brands, I always thought highly of Motorolas, since they have been around and thats what the police use! Well, the FRS one are junk, the cobra 2 mile worked longer on a single battery set and even went farther through the woods...

I have the CTX 400 now and will hold on to those for about another year,and Yes I still have the original Cobras I started with, I keep them for back up and when I have more than two people out in the woods..

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    I have a bunch of different Midland GMRS/FRS radios. They work great for me. Except the time I mowed over one, but that was not their fault

Be safe (and communicate).

Scott
    What kind of range do you actually get the midlands are the ones that I am considering. Thanks Rep coming your way.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher67 View Post
    I like the Cobra models, I bought a pair about 8 years ago and liked them. Then when the longer 5 mile range came out I bought another brand...That was a mistake my little 2 mile Cobras still worked better than the new ones! I took them back and bought the upgraded Cobras, I have since upgraded twice both times it was the Cobra.
    I absolutley hated the Motorola brands, I always thought highly of Motorolas, since they have been around and thats what the police use! Well, the FRS one are junk, the cobra 2 mile worked longer on a single battery set and even went farther through the woods...

I have the CTX 400 now and will hold on to those for about another year,and Yes I still have the original Cobras I started with, I keep them for back up and when I have more than two people out in the woods..
    Cobras I will look into them also thanks Rep for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkgas View Post
    What kind of range do you actually get the midlands are the ones that I am considering. Thanks Rep coming your way.
    I have 2 sets, never been out of range.

we tend to get spread out, also.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    I have 2 sets, never been out of range.

we tend to get spread out, also.
    Do you have a model number on any there seems to be a few different with a big price difference. Thanks

(Lebanon County)

Cool Re: 2 Way Radios

One thing to remember is that range is only what is listed when you are on a straight line of sight with nothing between the two radios, such as being on the water!!! Range will decrease with trees, mountains, buildings ETC...

We go camping at Bald Eagle SF, even with the CX400's we could still only get great reception for about 2 miles. Then it starts to get static'ie, But thats in summertime with all the leaves and such..When I lived in Md on the bay, I could talk from the bay bridge to Main creek..

Quote Originally Posted by Gkgas View Post
    Do you have a model number on any there seems to be a few different with a big price difference. Thanks
    1 set of GXT700
    1 set of GXT750

We hunt on 200 ac. in a valley, no problems, even recv. from the other side, miles away.
    Other property is 100 ac. on the side of a mtn., recv from the other mtns.

(Lycoming County)

I have the LXT 315 (rated for 10 miles) and LXT 440 (rated for 20 miles). I am on 300 acres and they work great. I have tested them with the Wife driving to town. She was driving in a car and I was in the house and we got about 3 miles. I want to get a base unit to keep in the house, I think it will lend distance.

I use them on one of my Security Client sites, a nightclub that used to be a Prison built in 1840. The Police Radios have a tough time getting out of the building (3 ft thick stone walls throughout), the 440 units work like you are standing next to each other.

If they are for outdoor activity, the Midlands should be good. Not that anything is wrong with the Cobras, I have used them in the past and they worked great. Right now, I have Midlands, the price was good.

Be safe.

Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast