Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default First gun for my kid

I don't have a whole lot of money to dump on guns at the moment, but with the mentor program, it's possible to get my kids hunting now. Realistically, they're going to need a 22, a shotgun, and a lower recoil high power (243 or 3030). I don't got $500 to spend on all three, and all three cost more than that...

So, I was considering something along the lines of this for their first guns: rossi triple combo

Anyone have any experience with these?

Default Re: First gun for my kid

Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I don't have a whole lot of money to dump on guns at the moment, but with the mentor program, it's possible to get my kids hunting now. Realistically, they're going to need a 22, a shotgun, and a lower recoil high power (243 or 3030). I don't got $500 to spend on all three, and all three cost more than that...

So, I was considering something along the lines of this for their first guns: rossi triple combo

Anyone have any experience with these?
    get a single shot twenty and a scoped 22 bolt action rifle
    teach him to be a marksman w/22 and then shoot the 20 with some slugs for deer
    jmo.
    although that rossi does look nice.
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

My oldest has a Rossi .410/.22 combo. The .22 is very accurate with the iron sights. The trigger and safety have ALOT to be desired, but it is safe. For the money, I think they are a fine deal, AND it solves your dilemma.
    Jules

(Philadelphia County)

I'm of the opinion that everyone's first rifle should be a bolt action .22 with iron sights: there is really no better/cheaper way to learn the fundamentals that will last a lifetime.

That combo looks nice but I have no experience with them. I guess if you are serious about him hunting soon I can see the appeal. If you don't need the shotgun and the bigger cal. immediately I'd go for a dedicated .22 like a Marlin or Savage.

(Lawrence County)

NEF Pardner .410 shotgun, $100

Savage .22LR, $110

All at your local neighborhood Walmart (usually)... I first hunted deer with my .410 using slugs, and still use it for squirrels...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lebanon County)

I don't have much first hand experience with the Rossi combo, but I have handled several and fired a few rounds out of one, I like it. I've talked to enough guys who own or have owned them to honestly say that if I was in your position I'd probably go that route.
    As stated, the trigger does leave some to be desired but I've been told that it can be improved for not a lot of $$ if it's really not up to your standards.
    There's nothing wrong with a single shot as a first gun. It promotes patience and accuracy because that one shot has to count.
    My first gun was a single shot .22, second one was a single shot 20 ga. I still have both of them. (I wish I knew how many thousands of rounds I fired through them, especially the .22).
    I thought the H&R Handi-Rifle was made for interchangeable barrels too but I just checked their web site and didn't see anything to support that thought. I didn't see any .22 LR or shotgun barrels listed for it. They're pretty nice guns too, supposed to be quite accurate, but if not available as a combo package it wouldn't suit your needs.
    Someone who knows more than I do about the H&R will chime and set the record straight on that one.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.