Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default Call 9111 and...

WEST COVINA, Calif. (AP) - A woman was asking a 911 dispatcher for help when her pleas were interrupted by gunshots, then silence. She was shot to death.

The woman told the dispatcher someone was trying to break into her home in upscale West Covina, Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. Dan Rosenberg said. "Deputies heard gunshots followed by silence and an open phone line," he said.

Deputies arrived at the house, 20 miles east of Los Angeles, a few minutes after Wednesday's late morning call.

The woman, whose name was not released by police, had been shot several times. Paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene.

"At this point we believe it was a burglary gone awry," Rosenberg said.

Investigators are trying to determine if anything was taken, Deputy Luis Castro said.

While police were investigating the shooting, a man arrived at the home asking about his wife.

When he heard that the woman had been shot and killed, he collapsed and started to cry, saying "No! She just called me. You lie."

The man was placed in a patrol car and taken to a sheriff's station, police said.

Witnesses said they saw one or more men running from the house, Rosenberg said.

Investigators used bloodhounds to conduct yard-to-yard searches.

No arrests had been made by Thursday morning, deputies said.

As a precaution during the search, a high school and an elementary school were locked down for about two hours, police Lt. Dan Brooks said.

Default Re: Call 9111 and...

Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Chester County)

One more example of why we need to be able to defend ourselves. The police are never going to be able to protect you. They almost always show up after the fact. That's why we, as citizens, are unable to sue the police department for dereliction of duty. They do not have a duty to protect...no matter what it says on the rear quarter panel of their cruisers. Home invasion robberies are one of the most dangerous situations a homeowner can face. Instead of depending on 911 this poor woman would have been better off depending on 1911. I feel for her and her husband.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by scjbob View Post
    One more example of why we need to be able to defend ourselves. The police are never going to be able to protect you. They almost always show up after the fact. That's why we, as citizens, are unable to sue the police department for dereliction of duty. They do not have a duty to protect...no matter what it says on the rear quarter panel of their cruisers. Home invasion robberies are one of the most dangerous situations a homeowner can face. Instead of depending on 911 this poor woman would have been better off depending on 1911. I feel for her and her husband.

Another who thinks that the police have capabilities of "Star Trek"......"beam me to 5th and elm to save them!"

Sorry you think the police are your secret service and should be there in three seconds and can't tuck you in every night.

Afterall......that's all they do right?........try it some time if you have the balls Mr. Cop Basher.
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Tioga County)

I don't think he was bashing cops, he was bashing to politicians that claim only the police should have arms, they will protect you. It's false and they know it when they say it. Most police do the very best they can. sadly the best is not enough and people die. it's not the cops fault individually or collectively.

Quote Originally Posted by XUSNORDY View Post
    Another who thinks that the police have capabilities of "Star Trek"......"beam me to 5th and elm to save them!"

Sorry you think the police are your secret service and should be there in three seconds and can't tuck you in every night.

Afterall......that's all they do right?........try it some time if you have the balls Mr. Cop Basher.

(Chester County)

Cop basher? Where'd you get that one? I suspect that this poor woman thought that the police could circumvent her precarious situation by arriving on the scene in a moment's notice. My brother has been a cop for 20+ years and even he admits that there's not much he can do to help someone who's on the phone with 911 and at gunpoint. Any rational, clear thinking individual would read my post and understand that my comment was not denigrating to policeman. They cannot be the personal body guards of the general public. Re-read my post and use a little common sense before tossing invectives XUSNORDY.
    Last edited by scjbob; March 20th, 2008 at 11:50 PM.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

(Luzerne County)

I suggest taking another look at the post. I don't see any cop bashing, just commentary about how citizens need to protect themselves and the politicos need to let them do so. The statement that LEO have no duty to protect is true. It doesn't mean that they don't, because they do... when they can

That said, locking thread since it's a duplicate as pointed out by Frenchy.