Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Reloading question

Which takes more physical effort, sizing the case (.223) or seating the bullet? When I start reloading I want to set things up one way and not have to change them. If I get my grandfathers reloading equipment I will have a single stage press. I also want to get a hand press. I want to know which takes more physical effort so I can put that particular die in the regular press and the easier step in the hand press.

Default Re: Reloading question

Seating takes less effort than resizing. I don't understand your logic about setting things up and never change them. Do you intend to load only 223 and only one brand/weight of bullet?

Readjusting dies is very simple.

(Cumberland County)

Resizing definitely takes more effort -- especially if you forget to use case lube. A case stuck in your resizing die will definitely slow you down. Seating a bullet doesn't take much pressure at all compared to a full length resize.

Have you ever reloaded before? There are a lot of things you need to know, especially if you're reloading ammo for a semi-auto.

(Northampton County)

It would only be for .223 and most likely only for 55gr FMJs. If anything else it would be for 62gr FMJs or similar (shape anyway)

No I've never reloaded before but thats why I am asking these questions now. I want to figure out as much as possible before I start. I want to have some kind of plan ahead of time so I know exactly what I need to get in order to make things work the way I want them too. I've talked to a couple of members on here who have reloaded for years and they have already offered to help me in any way they can when I start. Like I said I'm just trying to learn as much as I can for now.

(Lebanon County)

Sizing the cases definitely takes more effort, but is not unreasonable at all with a hand press. Use the proper amount of a good case sizing lube. I've full length sized many, many .243 and 6.5X55 with my Lee hand press without a problem. (Lee isn't the only brand of hand press, but it's what I have. I'm sure the others work just as well). If you have a bench mounted press and a hand press you should use the bench press for sizing and the hand press for seating. If you're setting up for just one caliber you shouldn't have to make any adjustments to your sizing setup if you're full length sizing OR neck sizing to fire the rounds in the same gun they were originally fired in. If you change bullet weight, brand, or style, or if you want to tweak a little bit for accuracy you will be making adjustments to your seating die.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Chester County)

What do you want to use a hand press for? In this day and age of the multitude of presses out there, a hand press is like a model T to a Cadillac. If you must use a hand press, use it to seat primers.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    What do you want to use a hand press for? In this day and age of the multitude of presses out there, a hand press is like a model T to a Cadillac. If you must use a hand press, use it to seat primers.
    I want to use a hand press for convenience!

The hand press is among the multitude of presses you speak of and I have lots of room for it in my reloading setup. (I have 2 of them just because I liked the first one so much. I bought the first one for $14.00, the second one was $20.00, if they wouldn't have gone up to $40.00 I'd consider buying another one).

The hand press I use doesn't have a primer seating device, I use a hand priming tool to seat primers. That gives me a better feel than I've ever gotten from any bench mounted press I've used. (Even if I didn't have a hand press I'd use the Lee AutoPrime tool).

If I'm going to load just a few rounds to work up a load, the hand press is just the ticket, especially if I have my bench mounted presses set for a batch I haven't finished yet.

If I want to work up a load I can take a hand press or two to the range with me and do it all right there.

If I just want to play with seating depth I can seat them all long and take my hand press to the range with me and fine tune on the spot.

I can use my hand press outside on a nice warm summer day when I'd rather be outside than in my workshop.

I can take my hand press to show a friend the basics of reloading.

To me it's kinda like the choice between driving your Cadillac to your next door neighbor's house or walking, which one would be more logical or convenient?

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Northampton County)

One reason I want to use a hand press is that its simple. I dont plan on reloading huge amounts of ammo in one sitting so speed isnt that big a deal. I want to be able to size the cases at one time and just finish the round as I watch a movie. Or more likely NCIS. I'm not a complicated person and prefer things to be simple until I get the basics down. I can always upgrade to a turret or progressive press in the future.

(Northumberland County)

when reloading, DO NOT WATCH NO MOVIE! or anything else for that matter, it takes 100% consentration. DO NOT MAKE ANY MISTAKES! it could be disasterous. been reloading for over 50 years. yes, I'v made 'em amd I'm still here to admit them. guess somebody up there must like me a little. all made when I was distracted one way or another. reolading IS a serious undertaking, so PLEASE take it seriously. just my .02

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    when reloading, DO NOT WATCH NO MOVIE! or anything else for that matter, it takes 100% consentration. DO NOT MAKE ANY MISTAKES! it could be disasterous. been reloading for over 50 years. yes, I'v made 'em amd I'm still here to admit them. guess somebody up there must like me a little. all made when I was distracted one way or another. reolading IS a serious undertaking, so PLEASE take it seriously. just my .02
    The movie or TV would be more for background noise or for when I take a short break. I know how dangerous reloading can be. I will be taking the entire process seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast