Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 20 GA O/U

(Luzerne County)

Question 20 GA O/U

I bought my one and only shotgun when Nixon was president. It's a 12 GA automatic. Back then, I could tell you everything about all the available guns.

I began getting the urge to buy a 20Ga O/U after my buddy bought a Franchi Falconet. I just couldn't justify buying a second shotgun when I had a perfectly good gun already.

Well I'm ready now. I would like your advice. I want a multipurpose gun to shoot birds with and without feathers. You know real and clay. I would not be opposed to buying a used gun in good shape. I figure no more than $1500

All suggestions will be appreciated.
    You'd Better Hope Your Insane, Cause There's No Cure For Stupid!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 20 GA O/U

There will be lot of good responses.
    The gun that I have is a Weatherby Orion Field grade (SKB). It's all I need. Reliable, easy to carry, shoots where I'm looking.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

I have a Browning Citori Lightning in 20 Ga with 26"barrel & love it. There are lots of variations & grades (not to mention prices) of Citoris. I bought mine new for around $800. MSRP for that model is $2000 now, but you can probably find one for $15-1600.

(Delaware County)

I think for that price new, your going to have to pony up a couple more bucks and buy a Browning, and there won't be too many choices.

Ruger was making one, but I have heard of some problems with them and I think they are getting out of the O\U business.

I think Browning will be your best bet NEW. Used you will have more choices.

O\U's are pricey, that's why I shoot autoloaders.

Good luck!
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Dauphin County)

Shydas in Lebanon has a ruger red label 20g over under with IC and M fixed chokes for little under $700 blued on wood

A used 686 White Onyx would be my choice...a used Browning Citori would shoot just as well but I'm not a fan of the styling.

Ruger Red Label is good for the money but if you're like me you'll want to replace it within a year...

You could also look at used SKBs and Mirokus...