Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default rotating cross hairs?

This may sound dumb or make no sense but I have a Gamo scope on my air rifle and the crosshairs rotate.

The scope housing still appears to be perfectly vert with the Vert adjust at 12 and the horiz adjust at 3 but when I start shooting the crosshairs slowly move in a counter clockwise direction, its very noticeable.

they are now at approx 11 for vert and 2 for horiz (the crosshairs, not the adjustment knobs.

is my scope just jacked up and I need to replace it?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: rotating cross hairs?

Scope probably went South. Don't know why some manufactures put inexpensive scopes on a high powered air rifle. Air rifle scopes are built to different tolerances due to the reverse recoil of the air rifle. A good air rifle scope is fairly expensive.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

Yep, I'm with Jeff, it sounds like the rifle scope bit the big one. I've never seen this happen with a scope that wasn't. Sorry buddy, hope you needed an excuse to buy a new one.

(Chester County)

I've heard that air rifles are harder on scopes than 22's... something about the spring making quick counter motions or something like that.

Spring airguns are very hard on scopes. Regular scopes may break on them, I personally find it impossible to get a scope to sit on my airgun with it being only dovetailed. Spring airguns push backward as the spring is let loose, then slam forward as the piston slams into the end of the air chamber. Go iron or go with a good airgun rated scope.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jsb889 View Post
    Spring airguns are very hard on scopes. Regular scopes may break on them, I personally find it impossible to get a scope to sit on my airgun with it being only dovetailed. Spring airguns push backward as the spring is let loose, then slam forward as the piston slams into the end of the air chamber. Go iron or go with a good airgun rated scope.
    Yeah the scope on the gun is Gamo (came with the gun).
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    This may sound dumb or make no sense but I have a Gamo scope on my air rifle and the crosshairs rotate.

The scope housing still appears to be perfectly vert with the Vert adjust at 12 and the horiz adjust at 3 but when I start shooting the crosshairs slowly move in a counter clockwise direction, its very noticeable.

they are now at approx 11 for vert and 2 for horiz (the crosshairs, not the adjustment knobs.

is my scope just jacked up and I need to replace it?
    Check out the scopes listed at straightshooters.com and select from the list of medium or heavy recoil.

Like someone else said, the double-kick of a spring air gun is not violent but most scopes are reinforced in only one direction. While you're at that site consider buying a special scope mount - another place where rifle parts don't work well on spring air guns.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
    Check out the scopes listed at straightshooters.com and select from the list of medium or heavy recoil.

Like someone else said, the double-kick of a spring air gun is not violent but most scopes are reinforced in only one direction. While you're at that site consider buying a special scope mount - another place where rifle parts don't work well on spring air guns.
    I have a single piece mount coming we'll see if it makes a difference, I have another scope on there now and its starting to do the same thing... so I'm thinking it might be the mount? we'll see if it makes a difference... I was hoping to get it tomorrow but PyramidAir likes to take their time to ship orders.

grrr i hate waiting especially for new toys!

(Lawrence County)

Airgun scopes need to be built different to adjust for aurgun recoil. Otherwise a mild airgun will hose a great riflescope.....

It's gone......

Lycanlethergothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Airgun scopes need to be built different to adjust for aurgun recoil. Otherwise a mild airgun will hose a great riflescope.....

It's gone......

Lycanlethergothrope
    The scope IS a pellet gun scope! (it even says Gamo on it haha). The reason I think it may be related to the mounts is I put another scope on there and the same thing is happening... so we'll see if it helps... if not I get a new toy for my pellet gun so its a win win haha