Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Draw, fire, and then?

Ok, I'm looking for more learned individuals than me to put in their 2 or 3 cents into a thought I've been mulling over since my first carry.

Say you've had to draw your weapon and have shot the person who was putting you or your family in danger. I know the first thing you should probably do is call the cops. My question is what should be next? How much information should you give to the cops before an attorney? If the assailant lived or died would this change how you interact with the cops? Which would be best a gun lawyer or a criminal lawyer?

If we could could we get the answers as a sticky? I think it would be good info to know what to do just like we get info on how to handle the average person and the LEO's because we need to be prepared to handle the consequences of drawing and firing.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Draw, fire, and then?

I was in fear for my life.

That is the person who was endangering me.

I will gladly talk to you but not without my lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    I was in fear for my life.

That is the person who was endangering me.

I will gladly talk to you but not without my lawyer.
    What he said!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, you are not going to be collected enough to make that decision.

(Cumberland County)

1-either holster your sidearm or lay it on the hood of your car
    2-call 911 get the pd and a ambulance on the way
    3-when the pd arrives tell him this person attacked me thats is his weapon on the ground tell them where yours is.then tell them that you intend to cooperate with them fully but you wish to have a lawyer present before doing so.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks guys. I never really thought of the simple approach that Steve gave of course I can only hope to be that collected by the time they show up if I am ever in such a situation.

I've said it before, once you've called the cops and made your recorded call, you've already given them 90% of what they would need to prosecute you, if they feel the need.

You've identified yourself as the shooter. Then you wait until the police arrive, so they have you and the weapon, at the scene. That's all they need for their initial burden of proof. After that, it's all on you, to prove your affirmative defense, if you can.

Call your lawyer FIRST. Unless the perp (the "shooting victim") is gurgling blood and seconds mean the difference between life and death, in which case you should do what is necessary to get him medical help.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Armstrong County)

First call Police, second call Attorney. When Police arrive. Point out BG and BG firearm. Shutup till Attorney arrives.
    The first time is the worst, second is not as bad, haven't got to the 3rd.
    Then you have to deal with for the next year while they go round and round with the legal crap.
    Then you have to worry if the perps family is going to sue.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    Last edited by edstephan; June 19th, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Cambria County)

AS preached, have a lawyers number in your cell. Shoot, call 911, call your lawyer. If BG is concious , i would hold him at gun point till the cops get there. When the Cops get there i would assume they would take the firearm. Dont say a word about anything until you have run it past your lawyer. Just my opinion. One of my worries though would be if a cop or another armed citizen was around and shot at me?

(Monroe County)

I was watching the best defense on the outdoor Chanel and they suggested giving the 911 operator your description so they could inform the police arriving to the scene your description. They will still considered you a threat but you might be less likely to get shot at by the police.

But of course +1 to call 911 call lawyer wait for lawyer

(Luzerne County)

I've said it before, once you've called the cops and made your recorded call, you've already given them 90% of what they would need to prosecute you, if they feel the need.

You've identified yourself as the shooter. Then you wait until the police arrive, so they have you and the weapon, at the scene. That's all they need for their initial burden of proof. After that, it's all on you, to prove your affirmative defense, if you can.

Call your lawyer FIRST. Unless the perp (the "shooting victim") is gurgling blood and seconds mean the difference between life and death, in which case you should do what is necessary to get him medical help.
    Sorry but I don't know if most are like me but I don't have a lawyer hell I barely have a doctor. So what is your suggestion in that instance? Should I scout for a layer now and have it in my cell?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast