Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default What hassle can I expect while traveling?

I've heard all sorts of stories about checking firearms onto airplanes, but it looks like I might have to deal with it soon. In a month, I'm going to Arizona to visit a friend and I'd like to take one pistol and one rifle.

From what I've been able to find, this entails hard, locked cases and checking them in at the airport. However, I'm very concerned about them being lost or "misplaced" (stolen) by TSA, as well as any fine-print hassle that I'm not finding. Has anyone who has traveled with firearms before experienced many headaches from the process? Is it not that bad? Is trying to get a rifle on any worse than a handgun? And I assume there are added costs to checking these.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What hassle can I expect while traveling?

Have fun! I'm going to Chicago soon and I'm going to see how much trouble I get into by throwing a tiny can of pepper spray in my suitcase. haha. Wish I could take a gun though!
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Washington County)

I have flown firearms many times and it has always been very easy. You will have to go to the airline counter and ask for a firearms declaration. Fill out the info and place it with the gun. A TSA rep will check the firearm is unloaded and that any ammo is seperate. Make sure the firearm is in a Airline approved hard case( I used the case the gun came with). After the TSA ensures the firearm is safe they will have you place a lock on the case and off you go. With a pistol, after TSA does their business, I put the case in the middle of my suitcase so the clothing acts as padding to lessen the chance of damage when they THROW your bag on and off the plane. Wit the rifle I would make sure you have a good hardside case with ample padding to protect the gun and optics.
    Check the airline website and it will have all the procedures.

If you pack them according to the TSA and airlines' regulations (all on the web site), it's just a minor inconvenience. The rules (particularly on ammo) can be a bit different between airlines, so look at their baggage rules on their web site. Or leave the ammo at home to conserve your supply - they'll have plenty in Arizona. You'll probably pack the handgun in a locked (non-TSA lock) hard sided case inside another bag with a TSA lock on the outside. The long gun in a separate case, locked with non-TSA locks. It's important that you can't easily pry the gun case open to access the firearm. You'll sign a declaration for each, and it will go inside the case or bag. It's against federal regulations to mark the outside with anything indicating a firearm. Personally, I'd pack the long guns in a case that doesn't cry out "gun!"

There are no separate charges because it is a firearm. The usual baggage charges apply (or don't if you fly Southwest). You can't check in at the curb. If there's a check-in line for special items (like skis, golf clubs), go to that line. Tell them you want to check "firearms," not "guns." You'll need to hang around for a couple of minutes while TSA does their inspection (they'll tell you), and you'll be off to the gate. Enjoy the warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    Have fun! I'm going to Chicago soon and I'm going to see how much trouble I get into by throwing a tiny can of pepper spray in my suitcase. haha. Wish I could take a gun though!
    Depends on whether your destination is actually Chicago. Obviously you can't carry in the Prairie state, but possession of a handgun outside Chicago itself is not illegal. You can even transport it (unloaded and inaccessible) without our silly restrictions (to the range, gun shop, etc.). The risk is that both O'Hare and Midway are in Chicago (O'Hare barely). But I've never heard of anyone being hassled there like at the NY airports.

If you don't want to deal with the air port you could FedEx them to your destination. It would cost more but you would avoid any potential hassles.

I've traveled with firearms numberous times with no problems at all. For exact regulations go to the TSA website, don't simply depend on info given on the web. So far all the posts have been factual but do yourself a favor and confirm those facts. Your cases must be hard cases and double locked, one lock at each end. Ammo in separate cases, locked on both ends and in the original boxes. Why original boxes I have no idea. Unless your taking handloads specific to your needs just buy ammo on the destination side of your trip. Also, I understand different airlines have different rules insofar as actually allowing the transport of firearms. I fly only two carriers so I can't confirm this, check with your carrier now instead of getting a nasty surprise at the check-in counter.

You don't need to worry about being glared at by TSA or singled out for "extra" security measures at the groping...er...gate security. FBI/ATF will not be notified to begin tailing you at your destination, no one on the plane will seem to be taking a lot of interest in you ala Air Marshal with an itchy trigger finger. Myself, I do check before leaving the airport that my item is where I left it. I just open the suitcase and check the case is there and weighs about what I remember when I put it there. I check to make sure my meds are there too. They won't get you high but they aren't cheap or easy to replace. I also travel with a knife in my checked luggage, I just place it in a pants pocket. No declaration, paperwork etc. It's legal to travel with the knife but up to you to determine it's legality at the destination.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    More trouble than you bargained for if you don't check airline regulations and possession laws in Chicago. I have no idea what the laws/regs are, but you better before you go. Then again, The Cakeshooter Legal Fundraiser has a nice ring to it.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by silvertiger27 View Post
    I've heard all sorts of stories about checking firearms onto airplanes, but it looks like I might have to deal with it soon. In a month, I'm going to Arizona to visit a friend and I'd like to take one pistol and one rifle.
    I've never had any problems. I even take a handgun to California.

I may be paranoid, but I will personally suggest you fly out of ABE or Philly. NOT NJ nor NY. Others may disagree with me and say NJ and NY are fine. I won't chance it.

I prefer ABE over Philly myself. The extra connection for a long flight is outweighed by the cheap parking 300 yards from where I get on my plane, and showing up 1 hour before my plane takes off. Driving an hour and a half to Philly, showing up two hours early, add in the hassle and cost of parking, it's not worth avoiding one connection.

I have flown a number of times with handguns. The link below is a post I made after flying to Phoenix and back. Your experience may be different.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/541...eamed-tsa.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast