Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default turkeys 1, me 0 so far, or how I got owned by Turkey's opening day

So it's first day..........raining..........glimmer of weather hope coming.....un seasonably warm......

I'm lazing around and eat a later breakfast...weather is turning around.............I hear songbirds...dammit I'm going out, I bet they are on the move!

grab a shotty, gear, and start trudging up the mountain....fresh scratches....they've been here.

well, I start heading to a spot...... come up over a rise, and heads! all the heads turn, look at me and freak out. I circled for hours but the sneaky turkeys lost me, mocking me with their distant laughs...........

I'll be back, crazy birds!

SO by about 15 minutes, I missed a good chance at an opening day bird. Shoulda went out hungry.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: turkeys 1, me 0 so far, or how I got owned by Turkey's opening day

Hunting is like using tools.. ...You have to be smarter than the wrench and the quarry. lol

Good luck next time though.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Carbon County)

lol... well I am sure SOMEONE will attest to me being a Turkey! Maybe I have found intellectually elite turkeys!

(Delaware County)

At least you know that you have a good flock around. They will be back and you will get on them again. Good luck, I'll be out this weekend and hopefully I see some.

(Carbon County)

i will go out early and wait, so I dont have the 'oh crap i ran right into them' experience again.

the flock is moderate, not big, a good group of hens. I have not yet seen the male individuals or small fall groups of Toms yet.

this is only my second season turkey hunting too. so I am an ignorant newb.

anyone know if I print pictures in 2d of Hen's if that works as 'decoys'?

lol

(Montgomery County)

I was out archery hunting deer Saturday and took a turkey call along just in case. At about 11, a flock of 6 or 7 hens crested the ridge about 100 hards in front of me walking away from my tree. I tried clucking and yelping w/ my call but could not get a response, so I let out a loud kee-kee run. Immediately the hens went nuts, turned, and started walking right to me making a racket. They closed in to about 50 yards then I guess when they couldn't see a distraught turkey turned and went back to where they were heading in the first place. Saw a lone tom at about 80 yards later in the evening but he didn't even flinch when I sent a few calls his way.

(Monroe County)

if it were legal i could have bagged a few, 30 mins ago.

i was in the back yard IE: the woods, checking out my property line, and theres about 20 females just wandering around in the brush. no more then 30 yards out. i had my pistol and my .22LR semi auto on me just in case some crazed zombie squirrel came after me.

i could have picked off 2 maybe 3 turkeys with the GSG-5 before they had known what happened. they knew i was there, but didnt care.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Allegheny County)

in the fall you want to break up the flocks of turkeys. if you see a flock of birds, don't try to move into shoot, set you gun down and run right at them getting them to disperse in every direction. then you get your gun, sit down in the spot the turkeys were wehn you broke them up and wait about 10 minutes and start with some soft yelps, next thing you know you will have birds calling from all over. and you get your pick or which one you want.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Carbon County)

i didn't even have a call with me. I have a pushbutton box call, I am going to listen to youtube tonight and learn how to use it, at least what to aim for it sounding like.

(Allegheny County)

here's a little trick if your using a puch button box call. make sure you have it all chalked up and instead of pushing the button, pull it from the opposite end while putting slight pressure on the paddle. you will get better and truer sound that way.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast