Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default revolver ccw help please

this is my first post here. i have been in the shadows for a bit it seems like a great place with nice people willing to help. now my question is i am looking into buy a new CCW. i want a revolver and i know i want a .357. i just dont know what? i have a lead on a .357 hammerless 2in sp101 for 225.00. but i really like the smith 340pd. i know with the smith being so lite it is going to kick like 2 muels.but thats why i like it cause it is lite. can yall please give my some insite? the gun will not be a shooter strictly CCW. however i will shoot it when i get it to get a feel for it but thats it.

(Chester County)

Default Re: revolver ccw help please

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
    this is my first post here. i have been in the shadows for a bit it seems like a great place with nice people willing to help. now my question is i am looking into buy a new CCW. i want a revolver and i know i want a .357. i just dont know what? i have a lead on a .357 hammerless 2in sp101 for 225.00. but i really like the smith 340pd. i know with the smith being so lite it is going to kick like 2 muels.but thats why i like it cause it is lite. can yall please give my some insite? the gun will not be a shooter strictly CCW. however i will shoot it when i get it to get a feel for it but thats it.
    Welcome!

If I were to own only one small revolver, and I wasn't going to practice regularly, I'd get the 340PD over the SP101. It's almost a pound lighter, and easily pocket-carries. You really do forget you're carrying it. Load with .38 +p.

Again, this is only if you're never going to practice -- which is really, really, a bad idea.

That said, given that I'd never carry I gun that I didn't practice with regularly, personally, between the two I'd get the SP101, shoot it regularly, and load up with mid-velocity .357s. It's built like a tank and is, easily, the most durable small frame .357 ever made.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Welcome!

If I were to own only one small revolver, and I wasn't going to practice regularly, I'd get the 340PD over the SP101. It's almost a pound lighter, and easily pocket-carries. You really do forget you're carrying it. Load with .38 +p.

Again, this is only if you're never going to practice -- which is really, really, a bad idea.

That said, given that I'd never carry I gun that I didn't practice with regularly, personally, between the two I'd get the SP101, shoot it regularly, and load up with mid-velocity .357s. It's built like a tank and is, easily, the most durable small frame .357 ever made.
    you right... i should not have said it that way. i agree with you about practice and i will shoot it. but it will not be a gun that i take to the range every weekend and run 500 rounds thru it on a saturday. i will deffinatly shoot the gun i am a firm believer in placement is key....

I second the ruger sp101. Its built like a tank and will last forever. the only drawback for CCW is the weight. If you want something a bit lighter, consider a Smith J Frame in a scandium or similar lightweight alloy frame or a Taurus 850 CIA, Charter Arms Undercover PUG, clone thereof. The SP101 and Smith are going to be in the $400-$600 range, The Charter Arms and Taurus are going to be $250-$400 depending on model.
    As far as loads, 158gr bullets weights will be the most accurate in short barrels.
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor.

I have never shot an airweight .357, and I don't want to.
    I do have an airweight .38sp.
    With +p ammo it's pretty snappy(which is why I don't want to even shoot a .357 airweight).

I do have the sp101(OK it's my GF's which is the same as mine ) and it's managable but it's heavy. If it's for pocket carry, for me I'd pass. In a good holster it works.

For $225 I'd snag the Ruger regardless.

When I bought my .38 I was shopping for a .357. After comparing the size and realizing I likely would carry .38's anyway I went with the smaller package. Best purchase I ever made.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Montgomery County)

Welcome!
    I carry a S&W 642 (5 shot J-frame) every weekday in an ankle holster. It shoots 38 spl +P and with todays bullet technology, it a great self defense round. I carry Speer GDHP 135gr in it.
    It weighs in at 18oz fully loaded with Crimson Trace laser grips on it. I can shoot 100 rounds at a time without beating the crap out of my hands.
    I paid $360.00 new out the door for it (without the CTs).

I'm not sure what the 340PDs go for, but I know its much more.
    IMHO, you probably wouldn't shoot enough .357 out of it to justify spending the extra money.

I originally carried a S&W 640 (all steel .357) but it was much heavier fully loaded (29oz) and it spent more time in my safe then in my pocket.
    The 642 is a great little gun. It slips into my pocket for the quick trips to Wawa or when I'm in a hurry and don't have time to holster up one of my Sigs.

The Ruger sounds like a good deal, but its a much heavier gun. You'd be surprised at how much difference 11oz feels in your pocket.

Best advice I can give you is to shoot them both and buy the one you think you can live with.
    I'd be more than happy to let you shoot my 642 and 640 (or anything else that I have) if you want to meet at Classic Pistol in Southampton sometime.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Welcome! .... That said, given that I'd never carry I gun that I didn't practice with regularly, personally, between the two I'd get the SP101, shoot it regularly, and load up with mid-velocity .357s. It's built like a tank and is, easily, the most durable small frame .357 ever made.
    Rule has given you excellent advice!

When my wife said that she was scared out of her wits after an attempted carjacking and finally wanted to carry a gun, I put a lot of thought into exactly which pistol she should use?

It had to be simple to operate; it had to be easy to aim; (Because she might have to actually use it!) and it had to be something she could regularly practice with. (Again, because she might have to actually use it!) After a lot of thought I selected a Ruger SP-101 for her with a 3" barrel, Hogue Monogrip, and a Chuck Lutz trigger job.

OK, it's a little large; however, she carries it inside a handbag; so this is not really a problem. The part that I like is where she, now, goes to the range with me and bangs away with that little revolver! She's pretty good with it, too.

To say that the Ruger SP-101 is built like a tank is an understatement! We've, both, shot this little gun until the metal gets so hot that it will burn your hand; and, it just keeps on going bang, bang, bang! When it comes to, 'mouse guns' (and, yes, I do carry them) if there's one thing I've learned it's that comfort and ease-of-carry mean nothing should the moment arrive when you've got to take a firm grip. attempt to acquire a sight picture, and defend yourself.

(But, then again, you're talking to a guy who carries a .... all day long, sometimes for up to 14 hours at a time; and, often, there's a second pistol in one of my other pockets.)

I'll make an additional suggestion to you: It's been my experience that of all the various, 'mouse guns' the Beretta Tom Cat is the easiest design to shoot quickly and straight. This is my own left-front/outside overcoat pocket gun -

I wish I had a target to show you. The wide backstrap makes transition from a full-size pistol almost, 'seamless'. Inside 12 yards you can empty the entire clip into an 8" circle - No problem!

(Centre County)

If you don't buy the Ruger, tell me where it is or who has it for sale. For that price I'd buy it sight unseen. (I'm partial to Rugers).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

+1 for the Tomcat. I've shot one several times. It's my buddy's. I can shoot it as accurately as my fullsize .45 at 30 feet. I wanna get one.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Montgomery County)

i would like to thank everyone for there input. for the price of the sp101 i am going to get that one. worse case it will be left at home for defense..and i will look for something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast