Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Employment- Luzerne and immediate surrounding counties.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and I can see there are quite a few knowledgeable people on here. That bein said, I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask around, turn over a few stones, and see what I can find in regards to interesting jobs that any of you might know about.

I'm 26, and I've had my Act 235 certification for some time now. And as you can surely tell by my screen name, I currently work for an armored truck company. While it's cut and dry work for the most part, I can't see myself makin a living out of it and I'd like to take the leap into LE. That's where it gets tricky though, as I have really specific tastes..

I really don't believe I'd want to work for a police dept. namely because of the hassle doing traffic enforcement, vehicle code enforcement, etc. I think a county Sheriff's dept. would really be more my speed. However, thus far its seeming rather difficult gettin into Sheriff's dept.'s around here. And it doesn't help that they hardly ever advertise when they are hiring either. Another monkey wrench, I do not want to pay for the Act 120 by myself/out of my own pocket!! A majority of the PA Sheriff's dept.'s still go by the Act 2 anyway. Does anyone have any inside information or guidance they can offer me? I'm lookin for something in Luzerne county and the immediate surrounding counties. Thanks in advance.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Employment- Luzerne and immediate surrounding counties.

This is a gun forum, not a cop forum. You will have better luck (if you can call it that) over at dome lights.

Just because cops carry guns does not mean all that own guns are somehow police affiliated. The second amendment was meant as a means to protect teh citizenry from the armed agents of the state.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Employment- Luzerne and immediate surrounding counties.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmoredGuardian View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I do not want to pay for the Act 120 by myself/out of my own pocket!! A majority of the PA Sheriff's dept.'s still go by the Act 2 anyway. Does anyone have any inside information or guidance they can offer me? I'm lookin for something in Luzerne county and the immediate surrounding counties. Thanks in advance.
    You don't want to pay for required training or relocate or work in a police dept;I guess you don't want that job/career that bad.

I believe Allentown will hire people & put them through the training to get act 120. But I think they want you to give their dept 2 yrs. I'm not a LEO & I've never been one but I can tell you that you may want to rethink your outlook,as far as willingness to relocate,where you'd work or paying for training.

I've relocated twice in my life for employment....not counting the military.
    I sure as hell wasn't getting a good job in the Scranton area,where I'm originally from.

As another poster said....you'd be better off asking this on a cop fourm. As for this site...this thread probably belongs in the Lounge...but I'm not a mod.
    Last edited by reverserboy; November 19th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.