Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Suicide & PA Gun Ownership

I am in need of assistance to attempt to maintain ownership of my firearms collection.

On 1/10/08 I was taken to the hospital for attempted suicide,
    (Non-firearm related).

Due to being unconscious I was unable to sign myself in for commitment, my wife was informed that if she would sign me in that I could later change it to a voluntary commitment, which I did do via Dr..

2 of my pistols were in the house at the time as I had just acquired a new leather holster and was stretching it for proper fit. These 2 .45's were removed by the Police, who still have custody of them.

My wife had thought that by changing the locks on the gun room,
    (the room only has one access, and two different keyed doors for entry) and that keeping the keys at another location, with another individual, would suffice, but they would not allow this either. The police informed my wife that all of the guns in my collection had to be removed from the property. This has been done.
    Now they are saying that they have contacted the PA State Police, as well as the ATF, as to how to deal with the collection. The Thompson has been taken to the location along with the balance of the guns in order to comply with the Police, this action places me in direct violation of the NFA.

I have no problems in any way with the collection being kept from me until I can later prove with professional counseling that I am once again able to own firearms. I was hoping to be able to petition the courts with legal representation to change the status.

The police however are calling for rapid sale of the entire collection and that I never own/use another firearm in my life.

I must state that my decision on 1/10/08 to take my life was a very irresponsible act, and that I am extremely grateful to have received a second chance.
    Firearms have been a part of my entire life, I hold a life membership with the NRA, and support local shooting events. I have also contacted the NRA in an attempt to maintain my life long acquisition of my firearms collection.
    Jack

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Suicide & PA Gun Ownership

I wish I had good advise for you. I would suggest you contact an attorney immediately.

It sounds to me like the police are treating this as a force placement. I can't remember the code but I think it was 302'd. If that is how they are treating it then for now you will need to sell your collection. I handle most of them in my area just to make sure the owner does not lose everything without getting compensation. If that is what is happening with your case, then they won't allow you to transfer the firearms to a family member.

Your only option may be to have the police set it up with a local dealer to sell your collection for you. Either way I still feel you should contact an attorney before the guns end up as scrap metal.

I am sorry to hear what has happened to you and I hope you are getting the help you need. The last thing you need to be concerned with right now is firearms.

Rich W.

(Jefferson County)

Buddy, get a lawyer ASAP.

The voluntary thing is definitely better than a involuntary.. Not sure what all they can hold against you though. Somehow, somewhere - you may have to get evaluated psychologically to prove to the LEO's that you're ok.

But first, get a lawyer.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

I agree, my collection should not be my primary concern right now, and I am receiving help. I am also trying my best to comply with law enforcement, but I don't want jammed up either. I think they push hard now to take advantage of the situation.

I had hoped to be able to store the collection until I could petition a judge to overturn the ruling. But it doesn't look like LE is going to allow that to happen.

I'm going to take one hell of a loss on this deal. I realize that this entire issue should be addressed 6 months to even 2 years down the road.

I also called and wrote my state rep to see if he could help. I also lost my job from it all, so a lawyer is a tough deal as well.
    Last edited by 1927A1; January 19th, 2008 at 12:29 AM.
    Jack

(Tioga County)

For your NFA arms you may be able to work something out with an NFA dealer.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1927A1 View Post
    I agree, my collection should not be my primary concern right now, and I am receiving help. I am also trying my best to comply with law enforcement, but I don't want jammed up either. I think they push hard now to take advantage of the situation.

I had hoped to be able to store the collection until I could petition a judge to overturn the ruling. But it doesn't look like LE is going to allow that to happen.

I'm going to take one hell of a loss on this deal. I realize that this entire issue should be addressed 6 months to even 2 years down the road.
    If you can get thier co-operation, you should be able to prevent getting hit too hard. Talk to an attorney and deside quick, what you want to do. The contact the police and tell them. I'm sure they will work with you if you deside to sell the collection and worry about the fight when you get a little stronger. I would still contact an attorney ASAP because under the new law they just passed. The doc. could easily deem you unfit to own a firearm and then you will fight a hard fight to get anywhere nere firearms ownership again.

JMHO,
    Rich W.

(Allegheny County)

GET AN ATTORNEY. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO "SELL" THEM TO A RELATIVE. BROTHER, SISTER, ETC. GOOD LUCK!

(Philadelphia County)

The only piece of advice I can offer here is that I have heard (and hopefully someone with more direct knowledge can confirm/deny) that it is OK to store an NFA item remotely as long as the person holding it does not have access to it (such as locking it in a case.)

Perhaps JayBell can chime in with more information.

With that said, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you receive the help you need, overcome whatever demons you're dealing with. Your #1 priority is you, while there's nothing wrong with focusing on your hobby and the fight to keep it, make sure you are helping yourself first and foremost.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Montgomery County)

I had a very good customer commit suicide last fall and had i seen the signs I would have done everything to get his firearms out of his house too. He is gone, but you are fortunate to still be with us.

I would suggest that you have all your firearms transfered to an FFL that you trust and at least you will get most of the value out of your collection by selling them.

Life is way too short to begin with, i hope you extend yours to the fullest.

(Lycoming County)

I am contacting an attorney 1st thing Monday to attempt to buy time. Right now all is very good. I have therapy set up to start the long climb back. Its unfortunate that I must place my life long hobby first for now, but I need to try what ever I can to retain at least most of it. I have more or less written off the NFA gun, and realize that I will probably never own one again, (cost & laws).
    Fortunately no firearms were used for anything other than for target shooting.
    I've been complying as much as possible with LE, but must have a lawyer to buy time to prove myself.

I really appreciate all of the well wishes, and support from the forum.
    Jack

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast