Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Vandalism at local farm

http://scrantontimes.com/news/1.281983

Protesters are one thing, but Pallman Farms co-owner Brian Pallman says he can't abide trespassing and vandalism.

South Abington Twp. police were investigating in incident at the family-owned farm on Summit Lake Road on Thursday after vandals working under the cover of darkness spray-painted "Set us free" in red, block-style letters on the aluminum roof of a barn housing about 2,500 turkeys.

Beneath the 3-foot-high words, the vandals painted the logo of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

The farm was alerted to the graffiti about 7 a.m., after a passer-by noticed it from the Morgan Highway.

But Mr. Pallman said he knew something was amiss when he went to the barn earlier and realized something had spooked the turkeys overnight. The turkeys had become so agitated they knocked down a partition separating birds of different ages, allowing the groups to mingle.

Those turkeys will have to be separated again by hand, but the larger issue is some of the birds were likely bruised during the incident, which will affect their marketability, he said.

"We resent the fact that someone defaced our property, but the damage to the birds is our biggest concern," Mr. Pallman said. "This is our livelihood."

Workers painted over the graffiti after township police took photographs of the damage.

PETA denied responsibility in a statement issued by the animal rights group's Washington headquarters.

"We didn't do it, but we think the sentiment is exactly right, and since the turkeys can only plead with their eyes, some kind soul seems to have helped them make their case," spokeswoman Laura Lopez said in an e-mail.

Mr. Pallman said PETA has protested at the farm before, but there was never vandalism.

"This is something that's on private property," he said. "If the PETA people have a problem, they need to confront us."

Contact the writer: dsingleton@timesshamrock.com

Default Re: Vandalism at local farm

that stinks. where do people get off thinking that they have the right to destroy PRIVATE property to make there point. Like in Oakland last night way too much damage and there were no politics it was kids being stupid.

(Somerset County)

PETA ! What a bunch of losers .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

People Eating Tasty Animals

(Monroe County)

I'm all for people making their feelings known, freedom of expression is important in this country. Some people do not understand the difference between that right and violation of criminal laws.

If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

(Montgomery County)

moved to Lounge as off topic.... please note that the NEWS section is described as so:

"News The news important and relevant to Pennsylvania Firearm Owners. "
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

And these are the people who think we're out of line. I've never in the name of protest or free speech ever damaged the property of another. I've voiced my opinion, carried a sign, debated points, donated time and money to a cause, but never caused lose of income or property. Wouldn't it be nice if their caught and the prison food is bologna sandwiches? But I won't be opposed to them eating the grass, moss, mold and algae they find laying around.

(Luzerne County)

Aren't they gonna be setting some free just before Thanksgiving?

That farm is a nice place. We liberated a dozen pounds of strawberries that were being held prisoner in their fields this summer. Cheaper than a movie, free tractor rides, and the kids had a blast.