Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Questions about gun ownership and prospective adoptive parents in PA

Hello all,

I have a few questions about Pennsylvania law with respect to gun ownership among prospective adoptive parents.

- Is it legal for adoption agencies to question prospective parents about whether or not they own firearms?
    - Is it legal for adoption agencies to factor gun ownership into their decision about whether or not to allow people to adopt?

I would appreciate any links to actual state law or cases. I am also interested in any related personal experiences people may have. Thanks in advance.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Questions about gun ownership and prospective adoptive parents in PA

Quote Originally Posted by standard1 View Post
    Hello all,

I have a few questions about Pennsylvania law with respect to gun ownership among prospective adoptive parents.

- Is it legal for adoption agencies to question prospective parents about whether or not they own firearms?
    - Is it legal for adoption agencies to factor gun ownership into their decision about whether or not to allow people to adopt?

I would appreciate any links to actual state law or cases. I am also interested in any related personal experiences people may have. Thanks in advance.
    PM Gunlawyer. I think that would be a descriminatory practice but I don't know the laws.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Questions about gun ownership and prospective adoptive parents in PA

Evidently this is within the realm of family law. If anyone here is knowledgeable on that topic, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by standard1 View Post
    Hello all,

I know someone who is a gun owner/carries regularly and adopted a child in the past, I'll see what I can find out.
    will that extra 15% matter? not as much as being able to put one in their face. ~Edg

(Bucks County)

good luck trying to adopt a child whether you own guns or not. I work with a guy who's been trying to adopt for more than a year and in that time him and his wife have experienced disappointment after disappointment. there's just a ton of red tape and crap you have to go through in order to adopt which is why many people end of going overseas to adopt a child. him and his wife finally got tired of the red tape, hurdles and obstacles so they gave up on trying to adopt.