Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Transfer a registration?

First off, I'm not looking for a fight or start any crap. I'm just trying to understand the whole process a little better. I also know what guns have to be transferred, so lets not get into that here.

When you transfer a gun from one person to another at an FFL, they do a background check. What happens to that information on the other end of the phone call? There is no registration in Pa. but isn't having a record of the transfer like that? If there is a record of you owns what firearm, isn't that a registration? I never really thought about this until a guy I work with started asking questions about buying a used gun. I was looking around on this site and saw this quote in a sticky- "The FFL then sends a copy of the PSP transfer record to the Sheriff, who in turn provides the info to the PSP. The PSP then maintains a database of who the firearms are transferred to."

So if there is truly a database where all this info is kept is that a form of registration? What information do they keep? If you get pulled over by a PSP and they run your tag, does it come back with what firearms you have?

I'm sure you guys can shed some light on this for me, you've never let me down yet and I've found some very useful knowledge here, so thank you in advance.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Transfer a registration?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIam View Post
    First off, I'm not looking for a fight or start any crap. I'm just trying to understand the whole process a little better. I also know what guns have to be transferred, so lets not get into that here.

When you transfer a gun from one person to another at an FFL, they do a background check. What happens to that information on the other end of the phone call? There is no registration in Pa. but isn't having a record of the transfer like that? If there is a record of you owns what firearm, isn't that a registration? I never really thought about this until a guy I work with started asking questions about buying a used gun. I was looking around on this site and saw this quote in a sticky- "The FFL then sends a copy of the PSP transfer record to the Sheriff, who in turn provides the info to the PSP. The PSP then maintains a database of who the firearms are transferred to."

So if there is truly a database where all this info is kept is that a form of registration? What information do they keep? If you get pulled over by a PSP and they run your tag, does it come back with what firearms you have?

I'm sure you guys can shed some light on this for me, you've never let me down yet and I've found some very useful knowledge here, so thank you in advance.
    There is a "stickied" thread at the top of this subforum dedicated to precisely this topic that addresses most of your Q's and observations:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/414...nsfers-pa.html
    Please check it out and participate there as needed.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie