Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default 3 questions for Veterans

So I got an e-mail today from a family friend about Veterans being asked 3 questions at the VA during routine care. I searched snopes and found the story but it is undetermined if the story bears any truth. Here is the link to the story on snopes, same thing I received in my e-mail. I'm sorry if this has been talked about in another thread; I did search the PAFOA site and came up empty handed.

Here's the link: http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/veterans.asp

Just something to think about. I may call the VA to verify this information for myself.

Semper Fi

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: 3 questions for Veterans

Nope, it's true. They asked me the same stuff when I got back. The nurse didn't say anything about any permit, but they asked those questions all the damn time. If you get treated you may lose your rights. I can almost guarantee that vets don't know what will happen if they seek treatment.

When we got back from overseas there was a lot of pressure to disclose any PTSD or stress or any other type of not feeling 100% in the head. We were encouraged to seek treatment, explicitly in some cases, in order to get disability in the future. I'm not suggesting there was any connection between urging military personnel to get treatment and trying to destroy their rights but they both happened.

Here's a link to some facts about the so called Veterans Disarmament Act. I couldn't think of a more un-American, back stabbing title for such disgusting legislation. Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen. Politicians disarming the most trained people - those most capable to defend themselves and others from tyranny.

(Tioga County)

I have been going to the VA for some years. That never came up. A lot of other questions about sexual abuse and such. I can't recall one question but I answered by expressing I though it was a boundary violation. Then I had to explain that.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Monroe County)

this is fucked up. I'll be letting my friends in the service know.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Luzerne County)

Well geez that just plain sucks. We have a member coming home next week. We will have to see if they ask him these questions.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

My brother came home from afghanistan about a month ago. He told me about these questions, and a bunch of other violence/aggression related stuff he went through during his debriefing process. The discussion took place as we were on our way to buy new shotguns...

(Susquehanna County)

The questions asked are pretty standard questions regarding stress and possible signs of depression. All designed to give a snapshot of your currnet state of mental health. I was asked them at my last visit. Nothing was said about tying the questions to LTCF or firearms ownership.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

Q for OP: was the email a forward or was it written by the sender?

I find it really hard to believe they're asking questions this dumb. How could a nurse ask these with a straight face? For most types of diagnoses, you have to fill out a 1 or 2 page inventory that has been approved by psychological standards bodies.

For example, depression is measured by a Beck Depression index.

I would think that they would ask for SOME of the symptoms of PTSD. (did you have a traumatic event? do you have trouble sleeping?)

I mean, the literal answers to those questions are YES if you are deployed to a war zone and you are not a REMF. (Even then there is some stress)

(Lancaster County)

This was not written by the sender. This is what I received with his information from the original sender (?) at the bottom. This is on Snopes, but has not been verified by them as true or false. Others in the post have reported that they do indeed ask these questions. Here it is:

VETERANS, PLEASE READ and Weapon Permit Holders

This one is for you Veterans. I have never heard of this before, but I thought it was important enough to pass along here.

"I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found something very interesting I would like to pass along.. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions.

(1. Did I feel stressed?)

(2. Did I feel threatened?)

(3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?)

The nurse then informed me, if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.

I am a Viet Nam vet and 15 year cc permit holder. Looks like they are going after us vets." Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners as potential terrorists. If you are a veteran, you've been warned. If you know veterans, please pass this on to them.

Larry Brotzman
    TWENTIETH Seabee Readiness Group
    Curriculum and Instructional Standards Office
    Training Aids Support Center
    Gulfport, Mississippi 39501-5002
    E mail: sobrotz@cableone.net

(Columbia County)

They definitely ask those questions at the VA and after every deployment. They're standard questions because of the amount of PTSD that has been seen with this war. I never heard of it affecting one's LTCF. I find it hard to believe that it could be true... but that being said, I'm glad I always answered 'no' to those questions. Does anyone have a link to any laws/legislation/regulations on this matter? If it is true, I really need to pass that info on to a lot of my army buddies. That's shameless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast