Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Black Hills Ammo

Gimme the lowdown... is this stuff any good? Who has shot it, and what is your take?

It seems to be used in several gun tests, meaning it is listed among rounds used to test or review a lot handguns that I have read in mags and on the net.

Am I correct that there are a fair amount of 1911 owners/shooters that are big fans of or at least loyal to this stuff?

I know it is remanufactured, and I shot a box of 50 FMJ through my XD to try them out and they worked well (a little stinky though

What I am interested in is their JHP round. A local shop (Hanover Shooter's Supply) stocks both the JHP and the FMJ and the JHP seems like a decent price for a box of 50. The FMJ is slightly more expensive than my plinking round of choice (WWB).

(York County)

Default Re: Black Hills Ammo

Oh, I should have mentioned I'm going to shoot it in my XD40 sub compact, and probably a Kahr K series if I follow through with buying one soon

(Bucks County)

I can't comment on the specific round that you're interested in, but I do shoot their remanufactured 223 and 38spl, and their factory 223 as well.

Not all BlackHills are reloads - the red box is factory, the blue is remanufactured.

For the calibers that I'm shooting it's as accurate as match grade ammo but a lot cheaper as a remanufactured round.

check-out the reviews on midwayusa.com

I have used alot of new black hills in a few pistol calibers , quality ammo in every sense , however I am not as pleased with it as I used to be.
    They used to load a lot of speer gold dots in their ammo , which I love for SD purpose BUT now for some reason speer no longer supplies their gold dots to black hills and now black hills uses alot of the hornady xtp bullet.
    i hope someday soon they get back to using gold dots

(Lebanon County)

My experience with Black hills was red box, .223. 50 round box, shot nice but really dirty ammo.

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: Black Hills Ammo

I have not used any of their pistol ammunition but have used and continue to use there rifle ammunition in both reloads and new. Their 223 in 69gr sierra MatchKing and 308 in 168gr MatchKing HP are both very accurate and never had any hiccups at all.

(Lehigh County)

I have not shot it for a couple of years, but I have found that Black Hills ammo is very good and would recommend it.

The only minor issue I had with it is that I found it can be a little dirtier than the Remington (UMC) and Federal (American Eagle) brands. Other than that, I thought it shot great.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    I have used alot of new black hills in a few pistol calibers , quality ammo in every sense , however I am not as pleased with it as I used to be.
    They used to load a lot of speer gold dots in their ammo , which I love for SD purpose BUT now for some reason speer no longer supplies their gold dots to black hills and now black hills uses alot of the hornady xtp bullet.
    i hope someday soon they get back to using gold dots
    The XTP just isn't as reliable as the gold dot in gel tests i've seen. For defensive handgun rounds, i'd stick with what's commonly issued to police: Winchester, rangers, Speer gold dots, federal HST. There's more testing and quality control done on these rounds than any others.

Black hills makes some excellent defensive 223 ammo, however.

(Jefferson County)

I cant speak for their pistol ammo, but their 52gr JHP Match 223Rem ammo shoots sub 1/2" 100yrd groups in my H&R Ultra Varmint.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Thanks for all the replies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast