Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie/Female needs advice on Training/Ranges

I'm a middle-aged woman with my first LTCF (today; Lancaster!). I'd like to learn to shoot and find a range to practice. However, because I really don't want to be the only female among a bunch of men (my husband has no interest in shooting) and I don't want to spend money I don't need to spend, I'm looking for a bit of advice from the experts.

1. Where is the best place to take a basic safety class?
    2. Are there any clubs/ranges that have couples or women as a regular occurance?
    3. For now, I'm mainly interested in handguns, so a hunting club/range isn't probably the best fit.
    4. I live in Lancaster - ready access would be best but I don't mind driving.
    5. This summer, I will be travelling south (out of state) and getting some practice time in with my daughter/SIL, but at the moment, I don't own my own gun, which limits things even further.

So, if you have any advice to give particular to my circumstance, I'd appreciate it. If it's already been posted elsewhere (I've read a gazillion threads do far with another gazillion to go!), just point me in the right direction!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Newbie/Female needs advice on Training/Ranges

The Lancaster area is a little difficult, because most or all of the ranges nearby are private clubs.

Your best bet might be to see if any of your friends or friends of friends shoot and get them to take you.

Also, keep an eye on the events section of the forum. Sometimes private shooting clubs will have training courses that are available to the public.

A basic NRA pistol safety course is a good bet for starters, and shouldn't be too expensive.

Unfortunately, shooting tends to be more of a "guy thing". I do see plenty of women at the ranges where I shoot, but they are mostly there for the first time, and/or with their significant other. However, I think you will find that being the only woman amongst a bunch of guys won't be as bad as it sounds, as the shooters I've met at random meet ups tend to be very mature, respectful people.
    Last edited by rikilii; May 14th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Monroe County)

Congratulations on the decision to be prepared and welcome to the site.

Unfortunately I am not from your general area and would not know of the local ranges but a simple Google search would bring up plenty. You can then call them and see if they offer an introductory class. This class should teach you the basics of safety and shooting. You should also get a chance to shoot many different type of guns to see what suits you best. After purchasing a firearm you can then take a class geared towards teaching you how to effectively use your pistol for self defense.

If none of the local ranges have this offered you can contact the NRA which can guide you to a place offering NRA classes. Thier is also a section here for training that has many programs offered, just keep your eyes out.

You may even get a member here willing to show you the ropes and shoot soem of their guns to get a feel for them. If you are near Monroe County we could meet up, my fiance loves guiding new shooters being a teacher and all.

Good luck and welcome again.

(Bucks County)

Here's a course not too far from Lancaster (Lewisberry). It's a little on the expensive side, but it seems pretty comprehensive, and the instructor is a woman if that helps at all.

http://www.insightstraining.com/view...asp?courseID=4

Thanks for your quick response, rikilii. The real problem is that none of my friends shoot, and many overreact at the knowledge of someone who does! I'll have to find new friends for this activity.

I'll google NRA/safety and see what comes up in addition to the other link you just posted.

ByAnyMeans Thanks for the encouragement! I never followed up on my desire to shoot because I lived in another state until a few years ago - a state that treats you as if you're a murderer if you want to have a concealed carry permit. At my current age, I don't care what other people think - which is a good thing considering how some people react at the word "gun".

ETA to fix typos... oops!
    Last edited by mingomom; May 14th, 2010 at 05:06 PM.

(Berks County)

Check out the Manheim Sportsmans Association - they take new member without reference. Lot's of ladies there that shoot - send them an email they should be able to hook you up.

Many ranges offer a women specific course. My wife and daughter both took the F.I.R.S.T. course(NRA sanctioned) at a local shop/range here in Bucks County. My daughter was already a shooter, my wife grew up with guns but both took the course mainly to be sure they had the right information and techniques. They did, but the course didn't go to waste...now they know. Another thing to do is ask the range for a course either for women or that they alert you to an upcoming class which has other women enrolled.

And kudos to you for obtaining your LTCF! It's too bad you live so far away otherwise we'd be happy to take you to our local club and let you learn the basics. Now if your willing to drive down this way, Lower Bucks...not too far from Doylestown, your invited for a day at the range. The drive is about 1 1/2, 1 1/4 hours if your a leadfoot. We have a variety of handguns for you to try and I have reasonable experience with teaching newbies. Plus you'll have my wife and daughter as comrades- in -arms.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Chester County)

West Caln Sportsmens Club, which is in western Chester country- not too far away, is offering the NRA Home Safety and Personal Protection Course again in June (details see link) My wife & I went through this in April 2009. Well worth the $100 + ammo cost

" Home Safety and Personal Protection Course - Open to the Public - This course will develop your basic knowledge, skills and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and provide information on the law-abiding citizen's right to self-defense. This course is conducted multiple times a year and cost is One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) per applicant plus ammo cost. Course Description - The 20+ Hour Course is divided into 5 classes To view the outline select Course Outline.pdf. All instructors are NRA certified and volunteer their time. Please contact Gabe Julian at 610-363-9443 or Frank Imparato at 610-458-8008 (day) for more information. Please check the Event Calendar or call for next scheduled dates. Ammo used during this course must be FireFrangible mfg by Precision Ammunition and can be purchased through the course instructors at current market prices with a total of 4 boxes (200 rounds) needed per applicant. "

http://www.wcsportsmen.org/wcsc_events.htm

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Enfielder View Post
    West Caln Sportsmens Club, which is in western Chester country- not too far away, is offering the NRA Home Safety and Personal Protection Course again in June (details see link) My wife & I went through this in April 2009. Well worth the $100 + ammo cost

" Home Safety and Personal Protection Course - Open to the Public - This course will develop your basic knowledge, skills and attitude essential to the safe and efficient use of a handgun for protection of self and family, and provide information on the law-abiding citizen's right to self-defense. This course is conducted multiple times a year and cost is One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) per applicant plus ammo cost. Course Description - The 20+ Hour Course is divided into 5 classes To view the outline select Course Outline.pdf. All instructors are NRA certified and volunteer their time. Please contact Gabe Julian at 610-363-9443 or Frank Imparato at 610-458-8008 (day) for more information. Please check the Event Calendar or call for next scheduled dates. Ammo used during this course must be FireFrangible mfg by Precision Ammunition and can be purchased through the course instructors at current market prices with a total of 4 boxes (200 rounds) needed per applicant. "

http://www.wcsportsmen.org/wcsc_events.htm
    Just be aware that they require you to use rather expensive ammo in that course, which will at least double the cost of the course.

(Northampton County)

My courses are not in your area, but I will be happy to give you all the help I can over the phone. I have 47 years of experience as a firearms instructor. As a retired guy I have plenty of time to talk. Bob Bajor 610-554-4581
    Easton area. www.gunskills.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast