Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default So what would be my odds of getting ARD if I slapped my girl around?

Serious question.

I'm curious what my chances would be of getting ARD and retaining my gun ownership privileges if I weren’t say….the chief of police.

Something tells me Mr. Close wouldn't be too sympathetic if it were me.
    After all domestic abuse usually is learned behavior and doesn't typically manifest itself
    Suddenly at age 50…..does it?

I'm all for not ruining someone's life over accusations or one mistake, so long as that justice is dished out even handedly.

http://www.bradfordera.com/articles/...c314187941.txt

SMETHPORT — The former chief of the Bradford City Police was accepted into the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program Thursday in McKean County Court on an allegation of assaulting his girlfriend in March.

Michael P. Close, 50, of Bradford, was represented at the hearing, held before Senior Judge H. William White, by attorney Stephanie Vettenburg-Shaffer. The prosecuting attorney was state Deputy Attorney General Todd Goodwin.

The allegations in the case are that at 12:30 a.m. March 14, Close was involved in an argument with Amy Baker at her residence when he allegedly struck her in the mouth and ripped a necklace from her neck. He went outside and she followed, at which point he allegedly pushed her, and she fell and struck her head, according to court records.

Goodwin said Thursday that Baker suffered only minor injuries, and was in favor of Close being admitted into the ARD program.

“You understand that successful completion of the program earns you a dismissal of the charges against you?” White asked Close.

Close said that he did understand.

White asked if he understood that a violation of any conditions of his ARD status could mean a revocation of the status, and Close would have to answer to the charges “as if you’d not been in the program.”

Close said he understood.

Shaffer said she wanted to make clear that accepting ARD was not an admission of guilt on Close’s part. “(Close) has a very good reputation in the community,” Shaffer said. “He was a police officer for a long time.”

Close retired March 17, as had been his intention prior to the altercation on March 14.

White said, “You are still presumed innocent of the charges. You haven’t admitted misconduct. The victim and the court are relying on you to comply with the conditions” of the ARD program.

White ordered Close to be in the program for one year, to obtain evaluations for drugs and alcohol, as well as mental health, and to undergo treatment — including anger management — if recommended in the evaluations.

Close was also ordered not to be in possession of any firearms for the duration of his sentence. Shaffer explained Close has firearms and will retain ownership of them, but will have them secured elsewhere for the length of his sentence.

Along with the standard conditions of the ARD program, Close isn’t permitted to consume alcohol, nor be in any place where alcohol is served or sold, for the duration of his sentence.

White had some final words for Close before the hearing concluded.

“I respect your years as an officer,” White said. “Everybody has a bad day now and them. It’s too bad that you are here
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: So what would be my odds of getting ARD if I slapped my girl around?

Not only would you NOT get ARD, but if you had a CC...er..perm...uh..LTCF you would lose it!! Just my take on it!!
    "A Man's Just Got To Know His Own Limitations"

Default Re: So what would be my odds of getting ARD if I slapped my girl around?

Everybody has a bad day now and them (sic).
    Are you kidding me? Maybe this will set precedent for LTCF revocation appeals.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18