Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Building a gun range

I am currently thinking about making a gun range near my house. The property is available to use (I've used it to shoot many of times) however, I'm thinking of building a good backstop.
    I was wondering what any of you guys used or did. Any input would be great.

(I've thought about getting a backhoe and diggin up dirt or getting some dump truck loads of dirt)

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Building a gun range

First, be sure of your local ordinances. You don't want them coming by and fining you for any establishment, or discharging related offenses.

Second, you want to make sure there isn't a requirement for an approved backstop that says height, depth, makeup, etc.

Third, all things aside, and considering what is still beyond and off to the sides, I would use a "U" shaped barrier of earth. Depending on size of targets, build up behind and around the target area accordingly so it catches with the backdrop, as well as the fragments and ricochets off to the sides.

JMO.. Like I said, just be sure the legalities first.
    III%

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by rockkrawler628 View Post
    I am currently thinking about making a gun range near my house. The property is available to use (I've used it to shoot many of times) however, I'm thinking of building a good backstop.
    I was wondering what any of you guys used or did. Any input would be great.

(I've thought about getting a backhoe and diggin up dirt or getting some dump truck loads of dirt)
    "The property is available to use"? Does this mean you don't own it, and are not related to the owner? I wouldn't make any improvements without express written permission from the lawful owner. If it turns out you're committing a crime by being there, you would be compounding that crime by being there with firearms (or backhoes, or construction equipment!).

Get actual, provable permission, first, or buy the land. Then, you can start worrying about a backstop and concession stand!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Butler County)

Changing the contour of the land could mean using a civil engineer to verify water run off etc.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for your input guys.

My area has no ordinance regarding Noise so thats a good thing. I still have to look into requirements regarding backstop, I don't think there are going to be any. Also, we hunt, fish, trap, shoot there all the time, the only thing is there is no real good back stop. I want something to hang targets on with a HUGE backstop, . I may get written approval from the land owner just incase.

Any other input?

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for your input guys.

My area has no ordinance regarding Noise so thats a good thing. I still have to look into requirements regarding backstop, I don't think there are going to be any. Also, we hunt, fish, trap, shoot there all the time, the only thing is there is no real good back stop. I want something to hang targets on with a HUGE backstop, . I may get written approval from the land owner just incase.

Any other input?

Um, yeah. I would think at the MINIMUM you want permission before taking a backhoe to someone else's property.

Or, buy your own property to take a backhoe to.

Or, join a range.

Or, go get a burrito.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    Um, yeah. I would think at the MINIMUM you want permission before taking a backhoe to someone else's property.

Or, buy your own property to take a backhoe to.

Or, join a range.

Or, go get a burrito.
    I do have the permission. I haven't got it in writting. All I said was I may get written approval. (I have verbal approval)

2ndly, I am not going to pay to shoot, at least unless I have no other possible solutions. Local ranges are ridiculous with their rules and regulations. (3-5 rds in magazine, 5 sec. between shots, etc etc).
    I'd rather have private, no regulations, full auto firing if I want. As long as I meet local requirements.

(Philadelphia County)

I do have the permission. I haven't got it in writting. All I said was I may get written approval. (I have verbal approval)

2ndly, I am not going to pay to shoot, at least unless I have no other possible solutions. Local ranges are ridiculous with their rules and regulations. (3-5 rds in magazine, 5 sec. between shots, etc etc).
    I'd rather have private, no regulations, full auto firing if I want. As long as I meet local requirements.
    Indeed. I suppose the property owner & any of his friends that shoot will be appreciative of your efforts too... I know I would.
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Mumit View Post
    Indeed. I suppose the property owner & any of his friends that shoot will be appreciative of your efforts too... I know I would.
    Thanks. I hope so... I'm looking forward to shooting alot, I just want the sense of security of having a bigger/safer backdrop.

(Montgomery County)

I would actually pay you to do this on my property...if the township allowed it! Good luck to you and all your effort will be worth it for private shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast