Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Tikka or Savage (only really interested in the accuracy )

Pretty much what the title reads, im looking for some input from either tikka or savage gun owners, im mainly interested in the deer rifle calibers (.25-06 thru .30-06) but what kind of "no bullshit" groups do you guys shoot with these guns...and when i say no bullshit, ive heard of the one ragged hole and tack driver or .5 MOA but thats probably some of the best groups that these guys have shot with these guns...my .270 wsm (weatherby vanguard) has shot several .6 thru .3's but it wont do that everyday and will open up to well over 1 inch (which BTW has just broke its back with me and ill be selling it), so if i was to tell someone about this gun i would describe it as a 1 inch + gun since that is its consistant group, so really im not looking for the best groups shot with your guns, im looking for what you would call it's normal/average everyday group that you expect it to do...the 2 guns im looking to get next is either a savage or a tikka and just want to hear some accuracy stories...thx

Alan
    Last edited by Arch007er; October 23rd, 2008 at 02:35 PM.
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Tikka or Savage (only really interested in the accuracy )

I have owned Savages but never a Tikka and I have shot both. My Savage 111 .270 would get 1 inch groups or a little larger. I shot a Tikka in 308 and I was getting .5 to.7 and I have had customers that brought their targets in with a 5 shot 1 ragged hole group. I would say the Tikka is a better choice for accuracy. But of course it all depends how the gun fits you too. If the gun dont fit It'll shoot like shit.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

I have a Savage 110 in .270 and I can take it up to the range and achieve 1 inch (or less) groups at 100yds, so long as I do my job (proper breath control, trigger squeeze, etc). This is stock out of the box, and I can do this as long as my shoulder can handle the kick.

All for about $600 or less.

If by chance you are in the south central area (Chambersburg is the closest PA city of any size) and would like to check it out for yourself, I'm a member of a range just outside of Waynesboro and am off from the 26th to the 29th.

You provide the ammo

Just checked, Delta is 90 miles from Waynesboro. If you are interested, and know somewhere near Gettysburg I'd be willing to go that far, but you'd have to pick up lunch lol
    Last edited by WVneighbor; October 23rd, 2008 at 07:58 PM.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    I have a Savage 110 in .270 and I can take it up to the range and achieve 1 inch (or less) groups at 100yds, so long as I do my job (proper breath control, trigger squeeze, etc). This is stock out of the box, and I can do this as long as my shoulder can handle the kick.

All for about $600 or less.

If by chance you are in the south central area (Chambersburg is the closest PA city of any size) and would like to check it out for yourself, I'm a member of a range just outside of Waynesboro and am off from the 26th to the 29th.

You provide the ammo

Just checked, Delta is 90 miles from Waynesboro. If you are interested, and know somewhere near Gettysburg I'd be willing to go that far, but you'd have to pick up lunch lol
    LOL, thx for the offer but i doubt ill be able to get up there, im not saying i doubt you or some other people for that matter, about the groups, but ive found that many people will say "My gun shoots BLAH Blah blah" and that is the best group that the gun had ever shot, i just want some realistic groups from honest people, im honestly leaning heavily towards the tikka though, the come with a 1 MOA guarantee and they just look mean, but first im gonna have to unload this WSM

(Blair County)

I owm a .308 and .243 in a Tikka laminated stainless configuration. I can hold under .75 in five shots. I have never owned a Savage but have seen great results with them as well. If money is a non issue buy the Tikka it will hold value better. The plastic mags kick ass as well.

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Perry County)

I have a Tikka T3 lite in .300wsm and a Savage 12bvss in .308. Both are exceptional shooters and if i had the choice between the two i would take the Tikka.

Also, about the Tikka mags kicking ass... they are about $50 a piece so dont loose or break one.
    "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick some ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum." - Rowdy Roddy Piper

(Franklin County)

I have both (Savage and Tikka) and both will deliver 1 MOA or less. The Tikka may be slightly more accurate - but could be a difference in the handloads. That said, I like the Tikka (T3 Lite) a little better. Easier to handle, comes up better... kind of a comparison of the individuals rifles rather than accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    LOL, thx for the offer but i doubt ill be able to get up there, im not saying i doubt you or some other people for that matter, about the groups, but ive found that many people will say "My gun shoots BLAH Blah blah" and that is the best group that the gun had ever shot, i just want some realistic groups from honest people, im honestly leaning heavily towards the tikka though, the come with a 1 MOA guarantee and they just look mean, but first im gonna have to unload this WSM
    I see what you are saying. A one time group of .5 inch doesn't really say alot about a guns accuracy. It could have been a fluke. And I agree with you 100% hence my offer to meet you somewhere and let you put a couple rounds through it.

I recently put my scope back on my Savage for deer season and after getting it sighted in right I put 5 shots through the 1 inch center circle of the sight-in target (the kind you can get at Wal-Mart) at 100 yds. That was with a $14 box of Federal Hydrashock ammo. The really cheap stuff.

When I bought it I sighted it in and shot a 5 shot group you could cover with a quarter. This again with the cheapo Federal ammo.

Between then and now I've probably put 500 rounds of the cheap Federal ammo through it. I've never had a group larger than the palm of my hand unless I did something really stupid. We sat used shotgun shells on top of the 100 yard berm and knock them back down.

I know I'm coming across as a RAH-RAH Savage Cheerleader, and I kinda can't help it. Every Savage I've shot, (ok, so its only been 3, but one of them is over 50 years old) every Savage I've heard someone talk about leads to one thing ... accuracy. Everyone is surprised at how accurate such an inexpensive gun is.

Either way you decide, I hope you enjoy your purchase.

And my offer still stands, I'll even take care of my own lunch!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Lycoming County)

I have a Tikka T3 SS/ Synth. in 30-06. with 150grn. hand loads I can put 5 shots inside a nickel at 100 yards. Resting on sand bags. The Tikka is sporting a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40mm. I believe I've found the best deer rifle I could ever find. But Savages are also decent shooters just not as pretty.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    I see what you are saying. A one time group of .5 inch doesn't really say alot about a guns accuracy. It could have been a fluke. And I agree with you 100% hence my offer to meet you somewhere and let you put a couple rounds through it.

I recently put my scope back on my Savage for deer season and after getting it sighted in right I put 5 shots through the 1 inch center circle of the sight-in target (the kind you can get at Wal-Mart) at 100 yds. That was with a $14 box of Federal Hydrashock ammo. The really cheap stuff.

When I bought it I sighted it in and shot a 5 shot group you could cover with a quarter. This again with the cheapo Federal ammo.

Between then and now I've probably put 500 rounds of the cheap Federal ammo through it. I've never had a group larger than the palm of my hand unless I did something really stupid. We sat used shotgun shells on top of the 100 yard berm and knock them back down.

I know I'm coming across as a RAH-RAH Savage Cheerleader, and I kinda can't help it. Every Savage I've shot, (ok, so its only been 3, but one of them is over 50 years old) every Savage I've heard someone talk about leads to one thing ... accuracy. Everyone is surprised at how accurate such an inexpensive gun is.

Either way you decide, I hope you enjoy your purchase.

And my offer still stands, I'll even take care of my own lunch!
    Thx, if i find myself going up that way ill let you know, as you can tell no one is downing savages in their posts, and i found word of mouth to be the same about savages, they arent tack drivers (well some are) but they shoot damn good for what they are, my pops just ruined me when i was growing up, he went through the same shit of buying factory guns and spending thousands of $$$ trying to get them to shoot so he just went to custom guns, so thats all i had growing up and having that inbedded in me, seeing what a gun can shoot consistantly, has just left me wanting/expecting more than what 'MOST" (not all) factory guns can do, but what im expecting out of a factory deer gun is 1 inch or better all day (with proper shots, cleaning, and barrel temp taken in consideration) so i dont think thats an impossible expectation, but ill probably just end up getting a custom barrel lol