Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Now I want to carry. How do I do it?

One of the few times I ever felt like I really wanted to carry has been when I'm in the woods usually with my girlfriend, hiking trails in a state park. Now that I looks like I will be able to carry in that situation I'm going to get my LTCF.

I only own 3 handguns, a Ruger GP 100 with a 4in barrel, a Makarov in .380 and full size CZ SP-01. Of the 3 the only one that I really think makes sense is the Ruger. If I'm gonna be outdoors is it possible to belt carry 4in GP 100?

If I got a beltman 1.75 inch belt, with the extra stiff insert? What kind of holster would I want? I guess I could get a small bag if the belt isn't going to go, but I'd like to belt carry.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Now I want to carry. How do I do it?

Depends on how you like your gun positioned.
    As for me, for my 4" Smith K's in .357, I like the Bianchi 5BH holster. It's a tight, high ride, owb, thumbsnap, with dual belt slots. I also have an old S&W pancake holster that's many years out of production that is comphie for me. I normally use these with a Desantis 1.5" gunbelt.
    Unfortunately, you will eventually end up with about 200 holsters laying around that you try to find that there are 2 that you like!
    Don't forget a couple of speedloaders and a holder for them. I like HKS loaders myself.
    One other note. We tend to think about bears and such when we think of "in the woods". Remember, the animal that you are most likely to have a problem with is man.
    Last edited by gf45acp; December 16th, 2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: sp

On the belt, I'll reccomend the Wilderness Instructor Belt. Heavy duty, and about $35 for the 5-line stitched, 1.75" belt. Comfortable yet secure. I wear it every day and I don't carry (yet).

A stripper once said this belt was "crucial" and "too hardcore" to be used to discipline a buddy of mine at a bachelor party. That was an endorsement for a belt if I've ever heard one.

(Cambria County)

Get a comfortable cross draw shoulder holster. Great for hunting. Carry the pistol on your chest actually. Just unzip partway and reach in to grab your firearm.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

That's funny, I carry when I'm in the woods with your girlfriend too....

(get whatever holster you can afford. The belt can handle it)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    That's funny, I carry when I'm in the woods with your girlfriend too....
    She's just using you to get to me...LOL
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Westmoreland County)

hey if you want your welcome to check out my tucker "answer" (for the xd)and milt sparks VM2 (for the sig) with a beltman to see if thats would work for what you want. They both too a damn good job and are great in different ways. If your free this weekend we might be able to take them to the range.

The answer is leather/kydex and can be put on or removed without messing with the belt and has adj cant. As for the Sparks I think it handles a larger gun better but has the snaps that can be a pain if regularly opened and closed. Both fast on the draw and comfortable.

On the other hand I have a smart carry but thats like sharing underwear and... well ... I'll have to keep that one a mystery. Haha
    Last edited by Huntingdonhavoc; December 16th, 2008 at 08:51 PM.
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full

(Lackawanna County)

I have a shoulder holster for my Ruger 357. Not comfortable for long wear. I have a Blackhawk Serpa for my SW MP 45. Real comfortable hip holster. If you're planning on concealing anything full-size, a shoulder gives better clothing options if you wear jackets that open in the front. If you're more of a sweatshirt kind of guy, the hip holster conceals not to badly. Either way, if you're planning on concealing on the upper body a jacket pretty much has to be worn year-round. It's the main reason I started carrying openly (not trying to make this an OC vs CC discussion, just a statement). I do CC occaisionally, if a good friend asks nicely. I go drop leg with my Sig. Not many CC options on that one, short of a trenchcoat.

The real question is, do you plan on OC or CC? Really more of a question to ask yourself, but I would say that the hip is more comfortable for carry, with flexibility for OC or CC. I would advise the Blackhawk Serpa, if it's available for your pistol. Otherwise, try to find a retention holster with the release set up similarly so it's retained solidly, but can be pulled out quickly when it needs to.

(Westmoreland County)

I want to CC. There tend to be a decent number of people depending on what day of the week it is. I really have no desire to OC, but the fact that this will be outdoors and I won't be in prolonged contact with people I'm not really going to stress out about it printing or things of that nature. I just want to carry it comfortably and covered up so that it doesn't scream GUN.

The real problem here is I have no idea what the difference between holster styles and what would work and what is just me wasting money.

(Lancaster County)

IMO with a Ruger GP100, it will be hard to sit with it on your hip. I have GP100 too, but a 6" barrel, and like another person posted above, I wear it on a shoulder holster, so happens to be the same one, Bianci X-15. It's a lot more comfortable on my shoulder than on my hip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast