Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: fal build

(Delaware County)

Default fal build

A few weeks back I got some great advice from you guys on the forum on installing a barrel on my FAL.I ran into a sl;ight problem removing my original barrel, it wont come off!.I bought the FAL reciever tool and a barrel vice with wood and lead inserts, and evertime I try to remove the barrel it slips.I have cranked down on the barrel vice until I can' tighten any more.MY next step might be a torch!HELP!
    NRA Member
    NAHC Life Member
    "Hokie religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"--Han Solo

(Berks County)

Default Re: fal build

So you still have the "stub" on the old barrel? The piece of old reciever?

Here is a good tutorial with pics.

http://http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/falstubremoval.htm

Now, when rebarreling on your new reciever, try putting some rosin on the barrel (pine tar will work, like the kids use on baseball bats) to prevent them from slipping. You can get pine tar at a sporting goods store like Dicks.
    Last edited by 762xIan; April 28th, 2007 at 02:58 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Delaware County)

762xIan,thanks for the info,but I'm sorry I was not real clear.The Imbel reviever is what I'm trying to save and install a new barrel to that.
    NRA Member
    NAHC Life Member
    "Hokie religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side"--Han Solo

(Luzerne County)

try using some PB BLASTER on it.

I would send it to:

www.frontlinearmory.com

He has done a dozen or so FAl builds for me and they all were 110%.

It is not really worth damaging youyr reciever. They are too hard to get and getting to pricey...........

(Berks County)

You have an Imbel!? Good for you! They are getting scarce.

OK, like I said put some pine tar or rosin on the barrel before putting it in the vice, that should help it from slipping. Now a LITTLE heat on the reciever won't hurt it either, just DO NOT get it cherry red with a torch...just get it hot.

Many of the barrels were put on tight and I put thread lock (loctite) on all my previous builds. Only way to loosen it up is with a little heat.

Good luck.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Heat and freeze.

Any one who has had to take a bearing off a shaft will tell you some metals can't be removed with out opposing temperatures

That’s where heat and freeze comes in. “Lightly heat the outside to expand it, and then use compressed gas to freeze the inside of the barrel. The freezing will contract the inside. You will probably hear a crack if you listen carefully, that will be the glue coming undone. Be ready to turn! If you have a chance, have 2 people there ready so one can turn or apply pressure to turn while you freeze. You can get a pretty good freeze from a can of air duster, but the best freeze will probably come from co2 gas
    Make sure none of the steel is red, just warm it up you don’t need to get so shot and distort the metal, but you do need to freeze a lot.

Caution! The frozen metal will burn you if you touch it, wear gloves but remember, you are wearing gloves to protect from the cold not the heat. The metal you are heating should never get so hot it changes colors; you are just making it hot so it resists the cold.

Typically, when you put on a bearing on a shaft or a nut on a bolt, using the freeze method you will need to remove it the same way, just remember, putting it on is much easier then taking it off. To give an example of how well this works, when you dry ice a shaft to place a bearing on it, the bearing not only floats on the shaft, but is actually a few thousands loose. By the time they take up room temperature. The shaft is generally larger then the hole of the bearing.

Some thing similar is often done when taking nuts off a truck wheel, you heat the assembly, and then splash it with water, when you hear it crack, and you turn it off. The cracking is not metal cracking but the seal breaking often resulting in breaking the rust of locktite. What you are doing is stabilizing the large piece with heat, and then contracting the inner piece with cold. The outer piece stays its dimension, but the inner piece contracts a few thousands of an inch and makes it lose.

Information on freeze fitting can be found here or by doing a search on freeze fitting metals. This is the best way to keep both your pieces intact.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Delaware County)

Once again you guys helped me out.I did get that barrel off with your advice(and alittle heat),and installed and timed the new barrel.Hopfully the rest goes smooth(yeah right!).Thanks again for all the help!
    NRA Member
    NAHC Life Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCZeppelin View Post
    Once again you guys helped me out.I did get that barrel off with your advice(and alittle heat),and installed and timed the new barrel.Hopfully the rest goes smooth(yeah right!).Thanks again for all the help!
    Will you finish that FAL already and duracoat my, I mean your bolt action 12ga.
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; May 4th, 2007 at 11:15 AM.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.